Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

'10 Hawkeyes vs '18 Nittany Lions

MSU - or should i say the most annoying closet Hawkeye on the boards - 

can you explain what you mean by this

"The '09 vs '18 individual thread got me thinking that Iowa is the only team in the last 10+ that could maybe challenge PSU. Even the tOSU team was a far cry from the 130+ points necessary to be in the conversation. " ??

tOSU last year, head to head with the 2018 team, came down to the last 2 matches with PSU. how does that qualify as a 'far cry'? 

in fact, tOSU, head to head w/ '18 PSU scored exactly 1 point less than the 2010 Iowa team that didn't nearly have the field last year's tourney did.

am i misconstruing what you're asking? 

MSU - or should i say the most annoying closet Hawkeye on the boards -

can you explain what you mean by this

"The '09 vs '18 individual thread got me thinking that Iowa is the only team in the last 10+ that could maybe challenge PSU. Even the tOSU team was a far cry from the 130+ points necessary to be in the conversation. " ??

tOSU last year, head to head with the 2018 team, came down to the last 2 matches with PSU. how does that qualify as a 'far cry'?

in fact, tOSU, head to head w/ '18 PSU scored exactly 1 point less than the 2010 Iowa team that didn't nearly have the field last year's tourney did.

am i misconstruing what you're asking?

Nope. You are correct. Last year's tOSU was absolutely at that level. But, we already know how that went since they actually wrestled each other.

The tOSU team I was referring to was the only other NCAA Champs in the last 10 years. Sorry for not being clearer.

Your comment on the field is highly subjective. Truly, I think it was flat out wrong.

125 had 4 NCAA champs in McD, Nickerson, Escobedo and Robles along with a finalist in Long and a 4x AA in Sanders.

133 had champs in Ness, Gomez and Oliver as well as Graff and Novachkov.

141 had a group I already listed.

149 Metcalf, Palmer, Terry, Molinaro and LeValley.

157 O'Connor, Pami, Hall, Fittery and Sanderson

165 Howe, Vallimont, King, Amuch, Caldwell, Rendos, Morningstar, Brown and even Marable who didn't AA.

174. Borschel and Lewnes were pretty fricking good. Henrich and Dwyer were right there as well. You then have a 4 x AA in Bennett and guys like Blanton and Glasser with a Short lasting spurt of Benefiel.

184. This weight was absolutely stacked. Askren, White, Dergo, Kilgore, Cannon, LeBlanc, Caputo, Keddy, Foster and even David Craig. Hell, it even had banged up Finalists in Miller and Pucillo.

197 the top 4 were monsters that would have decimated the 2018 field. Varner, Brester, Taylor and Simaz. Still there were more with Lapotsky, Biondo, Yohn, brandvold, Beatty and even a young Mr. Wilps.

285 Granted, no one touches the top 2 in 2018, but that field was deep with Zabriskie, Rosholt, Ellis, Erekson, Rey, Dudziak, Monteiro and Trice.

Finally, I am not even remotely a closet fan. I have even gone as far as to explain, in detail, how/why I became an Iowa fan.

If I annoy you for trying to put up stats to defend Iowa, or just simply defend them, then you DESERVE to be annoyed.

Edited by MSU158

174. Borschel and Lewnes were pretty fricking good. Henrich and Dwyer were right there as well. You then have a 4 x AA in Bennett and guys like Blanton and Glasser with a Short lasting spurt of Benefiel.

Let's remember a guy!

I remember in IL and the high school recruiting grounds at that time all the hype in the world was on Mike Benefiel and Albert White, and they were going to absolutely destroy all comers after tearing through all their national competition. Goes to show how much of a meat grinder the NCAA really is from day one, and that there is much more than just athletics.

Let's remember a guy!

I remember in IL and the high school recruiting grounds at that time all the hype in the world was on Mike Benefiel and Albert White, and they were going to absolutely destroy all comers after tearing through all their national competition. Goes to show how much of a meat grinder the NCAA really is from day one, and that there is much more than just athletics.

Interestingly, Benefiel gave Blanton his only high school loss.

Blanton's only loss competing for Richmond-Burton High School, yes.

He stuck Blanton off that fireman's carry but it wasn't called, first period I think? We were all there and the U of I arena was going absolutely nuts.

Edit: or maybe it was the other way around, and Blanton stuck Benefiel? it's been too many years

Edited by bnwtwg

He stuck Blanton off that fireman's carry but it wasn't called, first period I think? We were all there and the U of I arena was going absolutely nuts.

Edit: or maybe it was the other way around, and Blanton stuck Benefiel? it's been too many years

Yes, I believe Blanton was down 5-0 early and couldn't quite come back.

Edited by jchapman

PSU is a national school, not more regional like ISU.

Interesting, because as it relates to wrestling ISU has more conference championships, more NCAA individual champions, more Olympians and more Olympic golds and up until this last year had just as many NCAA team championships.

Interesting, because as it relates to wrestling ISU has more conference championships, more NCAA individual champions, more Olympians and more Olympic golds and up until this last year had just as many NCAA team championships.

You forgot the part where they are a perrenial distant 2nd in Iowa to your Hawkeyes.

125: McDonough vs. Kuhn (McD fall)
133: Dennis vs. Keener (Dennis MajDec)
141: Marion vs. Lee (MarionDec)
149: Metcalf vs. Retherford (Retherford Dec)
157: Kerr vs. Nolf (Nolf fall)
165: Morningstar vs Joseph (Joseph Dec)
174. Borschel vs. Hall (Hall Dec)
184: Keddy vs. Nickal (Nickal Fall)
197: Beatty vs. Rasheed (Rasheed maj)
285: Erekson vs. Nevills (Erikson Dec)

PSU 24 IA 16

Edited by TobusRex

ISU was a great team, WAS being the operative word.

125: McDonough FALL
133: Dennis TECH
141: Marion DEC
149: Metcalf DEC
157: Nolf FALL
165: Joseph DEC
174. Borschel DEC
184: Nickal MDEC
197: Rasheed DEC
285: Nevills DEC

20-19 Iowa, obviously Retherford or Hall winning swings it the other way, or PSU finding more bonus at 184 or any at 197, or limiting Iowa's bonus at 125 and 133.  I have Nevills as a pretty solid favorite over Erekson, not sure why it felt like most were picking Erekson.