Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

'10 Hawkeyes vs '18 Nittany Lions

So there's "no way" an NCAA champion beats a runner-up?

There is a way, but we all know not all champs are created equal... and Mark Hall already has 1 title of his own.  

The guy Hall lost to went on about a month later to completely dominate a 3x NCAA champ.  I didn't see Borschel doing that in 2010.  

There is a way, but we all know not all champs are created equal... and Mark Hall already has 1 title of his own.  

The guy Hall lost to went on about a month later to completely dominate a 3x NCAA champ.  I didn't see Borschel doing that in 2010.  

I'm a Mark Hall fan, but he wasn't exactly in the match with Valencia. 

Jumping in late, and not necessarily a Borschel fan nor did I read past the first page, but the “Hall would easily beat Borschel,” idea is proof that you started watching college wrestling when Carl came to PSU.

Bo Jordan and Mark Hall are about neck and neck. As a tOSU fan I think Jay would shred Jordan.

Edited by madcat11

Recency bias prevails a majority of the time.  You get your occasional 60 and overs that can go back to Gable and beyond, but even they hesitate or can't really remember well enough to avidly defend.  Still, Borschel wasn't that long ago and was an undefeated champ in a solid weight.  Picking Hall over Borschel is a legit pick and I wouldn't argue it.  However, saying Hall would easily win or that Borschel would have no chance is homerism or a simple lack of info regarding Jay.

My PSU Bias Picks

125 McDonough - Tech 5-0

133 Dennis - Maj Dec 9-0

141 Marion - Dec 12-0

149 Retherford - Dec 12-3

157 Nolf - Tech 12-8

165 Joseph - Dec 12-11

174 Hall - Dec 12-14

184 Nickal - Fall 12-20

197 Rasheed - Maj Dec 12-24

285 Nevills - Dec 12-27 PSU

My Iowa Bias Picks

125 McDonough - Fall 6-0

133 Dennis - Fall 12-0

141 Marion - Dec 15-0

149 Metcalf - Dec 18-0

157 Nolf - Tech 18-5

165 Joseph - Dec 18-8

174 Borshell - Dec 21-8

184 Nickal - Fall 21-14

197 Rasheed - Maj Dec 21-18

285 Erekson- Dec 24-18 Iowa

125: McDonough FALL

133: Dennis TECH

141: Marion DEC

149: Metcalf DEC

157: Nolf FALL

165: Joseph DEC

174. Borschel DEC

184: Nickal MDEC

197: Rasheed DEC

285: Nevills DEC

20-19 Iowa, obviously Retherford or Hall winning swings it the other way, or PSU finding more bonus at 184 or any at 197, or limiting Iowa's bonus at 125 and 133.  I have Nevills as a pretty solid favorite over Erekson, not sure why it felt like most were picking Erekson.

Erekson was really good his last 2 years and taking 7th his Senior year had a lot to do with recovering from Injury.  Finishes of 4th and 7th, with wins over NCAA Champs Zabriskie and Rey match/surpass anything Nevills has done to date.  All 4 of his losses the last 2 years at NCAA's were to Finalists with 2 being to Ellis, 1 to Rosholt and the other to Dudziak.

Yeah there is. If Alex Meyer beat him, a senior Jay Borschel could have aswell. You sound like all the Mack Lewnes fans that year

LOL, now that you bring it up I thought Lewnes was gonna win that match.

Recency bias prevails a majority of the time.  You get your occasional 60 and overs that can go back to Gable and beyond, but even they hesitate or can't really remember well enough to avidly defend.  Still, Borschel wasn't that long ago and was an undefeated champ in a solid weight.  Picking Hall over Borschel is a legit pick and I wouldn't argue it.  However, saying Hall would easily win or that Borschel would have no chance is homerism or a simple lack of info regarding Jay.

It's really hard to compare the guys from different eras because they didn't compete against each other. All the older guys can do is compare the relative dominance of the guys in the different eras.

I'm not stumping for Nevills... but he hasn't been pinned once.  I guess you believe Erekson is the one guy that would, though.  

Transitive property obviously doesnt work in wrestling, but I still would have trouble believing someone who held Kyle Snyder to a regular decision would be pinned by Erekson...

Iowa wins 125, 133, 141 pretty easily. Metcalf gets dq'd at 149 after Zain hits a ridiculous standing backflip in the closing seconds and metcalf loses his mind. Nolf, vincenzo, hall, nickal and Rasheed all respond by piss pounding their guys into the ground. Nevills hurts his shoulder and injury defaults out. Iowa fans go home upset and riot, burning iowa city to the ground. Penn state goes on to have fun and throw dodgeballs at the Gable statue outside Carver Hawkeye arena.

Edited by Perry