Lurker

Zaddick out at Iowa State

you are very naive about 1) The amount of moral flexibility pretty much all the head coaches engage in 2) Assistants take jobs for $. They don't sit around wait for the perfect head coach.

In my book, there is no compromise with ethics. You paint a picture of pervasive moral depravity in the world of college wrestling. I think almost all coaches try to do the right thing. And yes, assistants expect fair compensation but if they need to sell their soul, shame on them. Call me naive but that’s okay. Gee golly gosh, everything is going to be swell. Rest assured my friend, when TRUMP is finished with the economy and national defense, he will turn his efforts to Make Wrestling Great Again.

The strangest part of this is that they coached together for 3 years, 2 at VT and last year at ISU. If there's a personality or loyalty issue, why bring that guy with you to Iowa? What was the precipitating event that caused him to get fired?

Who knows what he did or said, but he is a proven great mat coach. Maybe Dresser took the risk for that alone. Worked really well at VT, obviously.

ISU will be fine. Dresser is one of the best active coaches and he will find a very good replacement. There is much more talent than jobs in D1, and any ISU job should be very attractive to all but a small minority of coaches in better situations.

I was at the OTC a lot of times that Zadick was, and I watched him train and watched him compete.  I never really liked his attitude, not that it was bad, but just wasnt for me.  However, for those saying he probably doesnt care, I know for sure that isnt true.  I have watched him coach and do his thing, and he has a ton of passion for coaching and helping people.  He may like the outdoors better, but he will lay it on the line for his guys.

I was at the OTC a lot of times that Zadick was, and I watched him train and watched him compete.  I never really liked his attitude, not that it was bad, but just wasnt for me.  However, for those saying he probably doesnt care, I know for sure that isnt true.  I have watched him coach and do his thing, and he has a ton of passion for coaching and helping people.  He may like the outdoors better, but he will lay it on the line for his guys.

I don't mean that he didn't care about his guys, but that he kind of felt like he didn't NEED to be involved in wrestling all the time.  Or that he could do without wrestling anyway and be happy without it.  Like he isn't going to be as broken up about leaving Iowa State as some other guys might.  He seemed pretty happy in Montana helping at the high school and not having any real pressure on him like he would as a college assistant coach or head coach.  

The strangest part of this is that they coached together for 3 years, 2 at VT and last year at ISU. If there's a personality or loyalty issue, why bring that guy with you to Iowa? What was the precipitating event that caused him to get fired?

I agree. It seems odd that Dresser got him to move from VT to ISU with him if they didn't have same vision for the program? You would think they would've figured that out already. You don't ask a guy to move across the country with you unless you really like coaching with them. Just seems fishy to me.

Regardless of what happened, I think a promotion for Metcalf would make sense. If he has been doing well and fitting in with Dressers system, why not make him a better offer so they don't loose him. I can't see a guy like Metcalf staying as a "volunteer assistant" long. Promote him and look for a younger big name to bring in as volunteer.

Regardless of what happened, I think a promotion for Metcalf would make sense. If he has been doing well and fitting in with Dressers system, why not make him a better offer so they don't loose him. I can't see a guy like Metcalf staying as a "volunteer assistant" long. Promote him and look for a younger big name to bring in as volunteer.

If what was reported when Metcalf was hired are true, he is making more $$$ than a lot of head coaches.

Oh, Iowa (sort of State): Metcalf strikes me as the shrunken embodiment of a dogmatist—a self-certain, one-dimensional, if once halfway talented, grappler turned quasi-coach. Was he born, domesticated, and raised as Brand's yapping Chihuahua (a role for which Sir Thomas Gilman now jealously competes)?  His intonation and approach appear to have been bred in a heated den of bravado . . . and, as insiders suspect, cloistered iniquity.  If Metcalf had a motto or bumper sticker tattoo-ed on his backside it would be something like "No Subtlety".  Thankfully, this sort of approach does not possess much of a future in the NCAA or international arena.  Perhaps he was the last best incarnation of Gable's midwestern "working class" style. 

dmm

help me out... who said this... what are you referring too... how does this apply to zadick...

are you saying zadick has the same attitude and isn't a good fit... 

If what was reported when Metcalf was hired are true, he is making more $$$ than a lot of head coaches.

That would make sense. I should've figured he was making good money even as a volunteer assistant. Still I think it makes sense to give him the title promotion as well.

That would make sense. I should've figured he was making good money even as a volunteer assistant. Still I think it makes sense to give him the title promotion as well.

He isn’t leaving anytime soon unless he gets a HC job at a power school

He is being paid a ton and has a chance to build his career under an amazing team building coach. It still seems like people under value what we done at VT.

He is being paid a ton and has a chance to build his career under an amazing team building coach. It still seems like people under value what we done at VT.

Define "a ton".

Amazing team building coach at one school doesn't guarantee success at another. See college football.

I don’t recall exactly, but if you google around you can find it.

I believe it was over $200k/year, which is a ton compared to most coaching jobs and likely the highest paid non head coach in the country.

I'm confused because I'm somewhat illiterate, but are you saying Metcalf was getting paid $200K a year as a volunteer assistant? This thread is hard to follow.