Sign in to follow this  
GuillermoBilletas

Man Rutgers is terrible

If I'm coaching a good high school wrestler that's being recruited for D-1 right now, I'm telling him to stay away from Rutgers at all costs.

Yes, because there are so many pro scouts and GMs looking to sign the best college wrestles into the Major League of Pro American Folkstyle Wrestling.

I'd much rather have my athlete go to a teir 2 DI school than a very good research university. :roll:

If you have academic goals as well as wrestling goals, there are plenty of great universities with coaches who have proven they can help you meet your wrestling goals while also getting a great education. It isn't one or the other. In fact, look at the academic standards of the schools that finished ahead of Rutgers in the EIWA. The four schools in front of Rutgers: Cornell, Penn, Navy and Lehigh.

I agree RUtgers is a great school, but I don't think the point is invalid about a high school coach directing his top tier wrestler towards a school that will allow him to grow as an athlete. I am not even saying that RUtgers can't do that. However, there seems to be an issue there. Anyone saying otherwise at this point has their head in the sand.

Hopefully, Rutgers makes a statement at nationals and proves all of us wrong. In this case, I would be happy to be wrong and even happier for the program and the wrestlers there who for the most part, all seem like good people.

The best coach in NJ is Jeff Buxton. However, coaching is a young man's game and I don't know if he wants that position at this time in his life. I like Pritzlaff. He is a NJ guy and has a good academic background from Wisconsin. I still like Goodale and believe he deserves another year. It is nice to read many of the posts above that almost everyone is pulling for Rutgers to do win. College wrestling needs Rutgers to become a top team.

deeppurple - you're obvioulsy right.

However, with the number of programs still left, removing one from the "list", unless the wrestler isn't able to qualify academically just doesn't make any sense.

I believe the staff could probably be much better at Rutgers. Maybe Coache Goodale, who I do not know, is looking to do what Tom Ryan seams to be building in Columbus; where he's not the guy in the corner and is pretty much the administrator.

There are rooms with less talent coaching and certainly less talent on the mats than Rutgers that still put wrestlers on the podium. At some point the wrestlers are responsible for their results, regardless of who the coaches are.