Sign in to follow this  
BigTimeFan

125 next year

NaTo also beat Lee.. so has Fix. Twice (though in Free). Will be a good match and definitely a two-man race if Suriano is up at 133. If he runs the gauntlet and wins 133 it just shows how good Lee really is. I will take Lee over Fix in folk in a close-ish match (thinking 4-2ish). That said, this could be the lightweight version of Taylor/Dake for this generation. Much fun to be had this season! 

NaTo also beat Lee.. so has Fix. Twice (though in Free). Will be a good match and definitely a two-man race if Suriano is up at 133. If he runs the gauntlet and wins 133 it just shows how good Lee really is. I will take Lee over Fix in folk in a close-ish match (thinking 4-2ish). That said, this could be the lightweight version of Taylor/Dake for this generation. Much fun to be had this season! 

I haven't seen anything that would indicate to me that Fix has the mat skills that Lee has. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. Plus I'm not sure that Fix's FS skills are much superior to Lee's, anyway. Weren't they both Jr World Champs or something?

Edited by TobusRex

Only one has beaten Bresser...no he lost a few matches last year.

OR

Only one has beaten Lee was Bresser....yes...true...WAR BRESSER

Wasn't that literally one of the first three matches Lee wrestled after the RS was ripped off? By the end of the year Lee was far superior to Bresser.

Lee was still in redshirt during that match. He actually wasn't allowed to challenge the controversial escape/reversal call at the end because he was not competing attached. To this day I think it is a little weird that the loss counts on his official record even though he was competing under a different set of rules than his opponents (same with the wins for that matter).

I haven't seen anything that would indicate to me that Fix has the mat skills that Lee has. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong. Plus I'm not sure that Fix's FS skills are much superior to Lee's, anyway. Weren't they both Jr World Champs or something?

That's the beautiful thing about a wrestling match.  Fix has it in his power to completely remove mat wrestling from the equation.  I remember When Schlatter was a sophomore he just stopped choosing bottom and decided not to give guys a a chance to cling for 2 minutes and shorten a match (and a chunk of Minny's whole team did the same that year).  Schlatter would try to offset it by getting a minute of RT when his opponent went down. 

Obviously not choosing bottom can give your opponent an advantage, but if you have to win the match in neutral anyways, why mess around on bottom with a killer like Lee. Why not just try to ride him for a minute to offset the point, or take him down once (which you'd have to do anyways).  If your TD is late in a period you ride out and win 2-1.  If it's not you go to OT 2-2 and try to decide it in neutral.  Either way there's a chance the lack of mat skills don't matter.  

And don't mistake me saying this for saying Fix is better than Lee in neutral.  It's more me saying why voluntarily put the best top wrestler in the country on top of you when your best position is neutral.

Edited by boconnell

That's the beautiful thing about a wrestling match.  Fix has it in his power to completely remove mat wrestling from the equation.  I remember When Schlatter was a sophomore he just stopped choosing bottom and decided not to give guys a a chance to cling for 2 minutes and shorten a match (and a chunk of Minny's whole team did the same that year).  Schlatter would try to offset it by getting a minute of RT when his opponent went down. 

Obviously not choosing bottom can give your opponent an advantage, but if you have to win the match in neutral anyways, why mess around on bottom with a killer like Lee. Why not just try to ride him for a minute to offset the point, or take him down once (which you'd have to do anyways).  If your TD is late in a period you ride out and win 2-1.  If it's not you go to OT 2-2 and try to decide it in neutral.  Either way there's a chance the lack of mat skills don't matter.  

And don't mistake me saying this for saying Fix is better than Lee in neutral.  It's more me saying why voluntarily put the best top wrestler in the country on top of you when your best position is neutral.

Why would SL not just select top when it is his choice if he is truly that good on top?

Why would SL not just select top when it is his choice if he is truly that good on top?

Because if Fix won't go under him, then Lee basically starts with a 1 point advantage.  So unless Fix beats him soundly in neutral (which I don't expect), then I think he'll bank the 1 point escape and know Fix likely has to take him down twice to win.

Because if Fix won't go under him, then Lee basically starts with a 1 point advantage.  So unless Fix beats him soundly in neutral (which I don't expect), then I think he'll bank the 1 point escape and know Fix likely has to take him down twice to win.

I have to agree with cbg on this one. You make good classical wrestling strategic sense: take the escape point. But Lee is so dominant on top I think it would be worth the risk to go on top and see what he can do. But Fix is a stout kid, pretty quick. He probably has a better chance of getting away than most. I think it's worth a shot if they wrestle outside NCAAs just to see what happens. If it doesn't work out, take the escape point when they wrestle again at NCAAs (assuming they meet again).

Edited by TobusRex

This is 100% the correct logic and as a huge FIX fan its what worries me the most.

Folkstyle matches are a completely different ball game. From the stalemate scrambles to the fact that you have to wrestle on the mat and they don't restart you after 15 seconds, it's just completely different.

Also Fix isn't a huge threat from the top position, hell look at his matches with Bresser and Fausz, I know they are top flight competition but he needed to win from neutral (which is the name of the game in Freestyle) he just doesnt have an expansive "mat wrestling" game, and in Folk against Lee, his neutral advantage goes down considerably.

I have to agree with cbg on this one. You make good classical wrestling strategic sense: take the escape point. But Lee is so dominant on top I think it would be worth the risk to go on top and see what he can do. But Fix is a stout kid, pretty quick. He probably has a better chance of getting away than most. I think it's worth a shot if they wrestle outside NCAAs just to see what happens. If it doesn't work out, take the escape point when they wrestle again at NCAAs (assuming they meet again).

I have to disagree, if Lee is somehow getting taken down and cut repeatedly then yeah choose top, but it will likely be almost "even" from neutral,

Lee will have confidence in par-terre and Fix doesn't care to ride anyone so it's a free point, if Fix goes down that's icing on the cake if you can get a turn, but if all else is equal don't give away your free point getting greedy. Allowing him to possibly know you can't ride him, and getting 2 free points in one match.

Just wrestle normal, it's worked out so far.

My hope is that we only see this matchup in Freestyle.  NCAA's, Lee should go 125, and Fix should go 133.   This way, they BOTH rack up their NCAA hardware.  The FS game is where Fix will want to lay it on the line anyways, especially as 2020 nears.  So... workout with Lee at the OTC, get a feel for how things are, don't show all your cards, and then WHAM... when the WTT and OTT hits, the latest "match of the century" unfolds.  

If that doesn't happen, I have Lee winning 5-2. 

My hope is that we only see this matchup in Freestyle. NCAA's, Lee should go 125, and Fix should go 133. This way, they BOTH rack up their NCAA hardware. The FS game is where Fix will want to lay it on the line anyways, especially as 2020 nears. So... workout with Lee at the OTC, get a feel for how things are, don't show all your cards, and then WHAM... when the WTT and OTT hits, the latest "match of the century" unfolds.

If that doesn't happen, I have Lee winning 5-2.

Fix will have tonweight in at 125.4 two days in a row in April for the US Open. He can go 133, but he will be undersized. He can’t be a true sized 133 and then make 125.4 two days in a row and wrestle the beat guys in the country a month after NCAAs.

He should go 125. I’d prefer he goes 133 as I think it is better for the team and has more interesting matchups (besides Lee) but for the sake of his freestyle career it doesn’t make sense to move up.

It all comes down to whether or not Lee can get a turn, hold him down or at least not give up an escape too soon.

I agree with everyone here. I think you have to take your chances in neutral with Spencer Lee and try to win on your feet. At this point you can't go underneath him. I don't care who you are.

I’m sure plenty of guys during the season will choose down to get a feel for him.

At NCAAs? I think you are totally right

Spencer is amazing on top but that doesn’t mean it’s impossible to escape.