Sign in to follow this  
Buckxell

FRL - Nomad is growing on me

I’ve been critical of Nomad on FRL in the past, but I’ve really been enjoying his contributions lately. Anyone else agree? He’s gotten much better and the surrounding cast has developed a way of joking with him and redirecting if he’s about to go too far into the woods. The show continues to improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nomad is OK. I like how he brings an analytical aspect to the broadcast. I wish Willy didn’t have to Skype into the show - preferred him to be in-studio. CP’s arrogance is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I listened or watched every FRL until about April of this year. Finally couldn't take it any more that they can't figure out how sound production works.

MUCH improved since April. The audio still could be a bit louder, as it’s barely listenable at max volume when I mow the lawn... other than that they’ve fixed audio issues.

Edited by Buckxell

Nomad is OK. I like how he brings an analytical aspect to the broadcast. I wish Willy didn’t have to Skype into the show - preferred him to be in-studio. CP’s arrogance is like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been away - Why does Willy Skype in? Is he not in Austin?

MUCH improved since April. The audio still could be a bit louder, as it’s barely listenable at max volume when I mow the lawn... other than that they’ve fixed audio issues.

Good to hear.

Uh, if it hurts when you do that, don't do that!

Nomad has definitely grown into FRL, which is great.  Guy has a knowledge and perspective that few people have, which also leads to odd yet enjoyable takes.  What I find best is that he's "stuck up for himself" a bit more as I felt that early on CP/Willie would shout (not literally) him down too much and not let him finish his ideas or thoughts.  He'll fire back now, which was needed...

CP and Willie are also much better at moving a subject along and not beating something to death when they get in a heated debate.

Show continues to get better and better, always look forward to it. 

thanks for listening and the for the feedback.

nomad is awesome. and i totally get that we are too hard on him sometimes. he's good for 3 or 4 great insights a show and one seemingly required off the wall idea haha.

i too wish i didn't have to skype in. definitely not ideal. all is well though...i just moved home to be near family. 

He moved home to Easton, PA

Saylor comes across as a super small town guy -- very parochial and conservative.  While Austin, Texas  (home of Flo) is hardly a big city, it is much more culturally diverse in music, food, social expressions, and other areas than Easton, PA.  Nomad strikes me as far more cosmopolitan by temperament and more interested in and attuned to the international and cross-cultural dimensions of wrestling.  Wrestling's historical tendency in the US (but arguably its current weakness) has been toward a cloistered and conservative framework: it has been resistant to change, bound to rural areas, narrowly religious and Republican in its fan base,  and not especially receptive to women or minorities.   I suspect if it doesn't manage to become more inclusive and receptive to change that it will continue to lose support at the NCAA and Olympic levels.  

Saylor comes across as a super small town guy -- very parochial and conservative. While Austin, Texas (home of Flo) is hardly a big city, it is much more culturally diverse in music, food, social expressions, and other areas than Easton, PA. Nomad strikes me as far more cosmopolitan by temperament and more interested in and attuned to the international and cross-cultural dimensions of wrestling. Wrestling's historical tendency in the US (but arguably its current weakness) has been toward a cloistered and conservative framework: it has been resistant to change, bound to rural areas, narrowly religious and Republican in its fan base, and not especially receptive to women or minorities. I suspect if it doesn't manage to become more inclusive and receptive to change that it will continue to lose support at the NCAA and Olympic levels.

So the Republicans chased him out of Texas? They are very evil people. Willie seemed like a nice guy.

Saylor comes across as a super small town guy -- very parochial and conservative. While Austin, Texas (home of Flo) is hardly a big city, it is much more culturally diverse in music, food, social expressions, and other areas than Easton, PA. Nomad strikes me as far more cosmopolitan by temperament and more interested in and attuned to the international and cross-cultural dimensions of wrestling. Wrestling's historical tendency in the US (but arguably its current weakness) has been toward a cloistered and conservative framework: it has been resistant to change, bound to rural areas, narrowly religious and Republican in its fan base, and not especially receptive to women or minorities. I suspect if it doesn't manage to become more inclusive and receptive to change that it will continue to lose support at the NCAA and Olympic levels.

OMG that is so patronizingly political, You just can't help yourself, can you?

Edited by TBar1977

Saylor comes across as a super small town guy -- very parochial and conservative.  While Austin, Texas  (home of Flo) is hardly a big city, it is much more culturally diverse in music, food, social expressions, and other areas than Easton, PA.  Nomad strikes me as far more cosmopolitan by temperament and more interested in and attuned to the international and cross-cultural dimensions of wrestling.  Wrestling's historical tendency in the US (but arguably its current weakness) has been toward a cloistered and conservative framework: it has been resistant to change, bound to rural areas, narrowly religious and Republican in its fan base,  and not especially receptive to women or minorities.   I suspect if it doesn't manage to become more inclusive and receptive to change that it will continue to lose support at the NCAA and Olympic levels.  

What an idiotic take.  

Being too republican doesn't hurt wrestling at all (if that's even true that wrestling is republican, I have no idea).  The Olympic committee certainly isn't supporting or not supporting based on political party.  The idea it's not inclusive enough to minorities for the Olympics or the NCAA is even dumber.  There's far more minorities in NCAA wrestling then in Lacrosse and Hockey which are growing.  And far more than Tennis or crew or field hockey or plenty of others.  And far more than countless olympic sports.  

The NCAA and the Olympics see only green, not red or blue.  If 100 million crazed right wing republicans poured money into wrestling, the NCAA and the Olympic committee would be fighting each other over who got to cash the check.

Edited by boconnell

And to add to my previous post NCAA Division 1 numbers from the NCAA.org demographics database.

Wrestling 

72% white, 7% black, 7% hispanic, 13% other

Baseball 

81% white, 4% black, 6% hispanic, 8% other

Hockey

89%, 1%, 1%, 9%

Lacrosse

87%, 2%, 2%, 3%

Swimming 

79%, 2%, 5%,10%

Golf

80%, 1%

And the list goes on.  It would be great if more minorities were involved in wrestling and it would only grow the talent base for the USA to engage more of the country domestically.  But the NCAA has no problem sponsoring and supporting far whiter sports than wrestling.  You are just making stuff up when you pretend otherwise.

I think Nomad has the knack to carefully pause and think to fill a blank with a worthwhile mention that relates to what’s already said but not fully clear. He’s keen on new angles with an earthy sharpness that makes me savor the evidence that there just might be a miss by me.

Edited by OKnowwhut

This is the worst thing I have read on the internet in a very long time and I follow Trump on Twitter

Willie- HMU I've got a scoop for ya and I will let you break it