Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Minnesota - 18/19

Minnesota underperformed last year, but has serious potential going in to next season.

125: Sean’s Russell - a former AA, this transfer allows Pat McKee to redshirt. 125 partially cleared out this year with NATO and Cruz graduating and Suriano likely moving up. There are a just a couple freshman that can threaten Russell, so I see this as a huge positive for him. Russell placing 6-8 is plausible

133: Ethan Lizak - 133 is stacked, however Lizak always shows up at NCAAs. He has placed 2nd and 4th, neither of which was coerced based on his season performance. He also scored a lot of bonus.

141: Mitch McKee - 141 is still solid this year, but some of the top end talent has moved out. Meredith and Jack graduated, and Yianni May move up to 149. McKee can go with anyone as he is constantly attacking and has high level attacks. I don’t think he is undersized at 141 and I expect for him to AA at least once.

149: Tommy Thorn - reports last year suggested Thorn was much improved after his AA season, but the season didn’t go all that well for him. He is however a solid AA threat, as 5/8 AAs graduates. Micah Jordan is coming down, Ashnault is there and Yianni May move up, so the weight is still solid, but Thorn has a legitimate chance of placing.

157: Steve Bleis - Steve went 2-2 at NCAAs this year. He will start the season ranked 15th or so. With just a couple more wins at NCAAs, he will AA. It isn’t all that likely, but if he gets a good draw and/or improves slightly, a 7/8 finish is possible.

165: Jake Allar - I think jake will be the starter. He was a highly touted recruit (20th in the Big Board in 2017). He was injured all of last season however. I don’t know if he just couldn’t compete or if he wsssnt able to train. Either way, I don’t think he can do more than qualify this season in a stacked, upper class heavy weight.

174: Devon Skatska - Skatska had a respectable regular season but went 1-3 at Big10s and 0-2 at NCAAs, losing to two guys who didn’t place. Hopefully he has improved over the summer, but he is unlikely to score significant points at NCAAs. Just one advancement point would be better than last year, so he can only go up.

184: Owen Webster - didn’t qualify last season. Only wrestled 13 matches. He might qualify this year, but Minn is not counting on points here.

197: Bobby Stevenson - Bobby was a blue chipper who hasn’t panned out. Hopefully having his brother in the room will help. He was injured for a portion of last season and went 1-2 at NCAAs is the season prior. I’ve always said he has AA potential, but now he needs to prove it.

285: Gable Stevenson - we don’t actually know if Gable is starting. If he does, he has champion potential. He smashed Tanner Hall and heavyweight is cleared out. His biggest threats are Stoll and Nevills, but I expect he beats both. If Gable pulls off a title, he might have a Spencer Lee type affect on recruitment. A heavyweight true freshman champ would be unprecedented. There are some other tough guys who haven’t AAd, like Thomas Haines, Jordan Wood, etc. those guys are always dangerous and at heavyweight, one takedown might be all you need.

Minnesota is likely to qualify 8-9 weights and I think ends up with 4-5 AAs plus 3 others that could sneak on the podium. I think they could end as high as 6th and expect them in the 9-10 range.

Looking forward to the season.  A couple of thoughts...Of the 4 guys moving up, I think McKee will benefit the most.  I think Lizak will benefit physically also, but he is moving to a tougher weight, so it will be interesting. Webster did not wrestle at all second semester due to injury, so that's why he didn't qualify.  They will have a very well balanced lineup and be a good dual team, but will need some that have not AA'd yet to step up and do so if they are going to be top 5.

Looking forward to the season.  A couple of thoughts...Of the 4 guys moving up, I think McKee will benefit the most.  I think Lizak will benefit physically also, but he is moving to a tougher weight, so it will be interesting. Webster did not wrestle at all second semester due to injury, so that's why he didn't qualify.  They will have a very well balanced lineup and be a good dual team, but will need some that have not AA'd yet to step up and do so if they are going to be top 5.

It feels like Lizak should benefit physically, but he's been at his best physically in 3 day tournaments late in the season that should punish weight cutting the most.  

I had them penciled in as the most improved team this year but looking at okst on paper it's hard to not pick them. I'll go with Minnesota as the second most improved. I'm looking forward to see how they perform in March.

I think dhesi is great dont get me wrong. I predict a lower scoring match in folk bc the mat wrestling tends to create lower scoring matches especially at heavyweight. Does anyone think dhesi is on the same level as a guy like dom bradley in either style? I certainly don't have them in the same tier.

I think dhesi is great dont get me wrong. I predict a lower scoring match in folk bc the mat wrestling tends to create lower scoring matches especially at heavyweight. Does anyone think dhesi is on the same level as a guy like dom bradley in either style? I certainly don't have them in the same tier.

Actually, yes I do.  He was a junior world champion(albeit because Geno tested positive) beating Coon in the semis.  He even beat Gwiz 3-0 in 2016 and lost a heartbreaker in the Canadian Olympic Trials(2016) finals to Korey Jarvis 2-2 and 2-2.

And, here is a match(albeit in 2014) where he loses to Bradley 10-8 on a takedown with less than 10 secs left:  

Edited by MSU158

There is an argument to make that Dhesi is the least talked about guy who is all but in top tier of their class.  Any others in the top 3/4 of their weight who is talked about/mentioned less?

There is an argument to make that Dhesi is the least talked about guy who is all but in top tier of their class.  Any others in the top 3/4 of their weight who is talked about/mentioned less?

This being a college board I assume you are referring to top 5 in their college weight class. As such, I have compiled a list of some guys who could be in the conversation for 5th in their weight class who, imo, get even less talk than Dhesi. 

125 Sean Russell, Louie Hayes

133 Scott Parker, Jack Mueller

149 Max Thomsen, Grant Leeth

184 Emery Parker

This being a college board I assume you are referring to top 5 in their college weight class. As such, I have compiled a list of some guys who could be in the conversation for 5th in their weight class who, imo, get even less talk than Dhesi. 

125 Sean Russell, Louie Hayes

133 Scott Parker, Jack Mueller

149 Max Thomsen, Grant Leeth

184 Emery Parker

But, Dhesi hasn't been 5th the last 2 years.  He was clearly the best(at least IMHO) after Snyder and Coon and should be a solid front runner this year.

To answer the stonerd7's question, I think it has a ton to do with being Canadian and missing every other year due to injury. The rust was quite obvious after his last injury. As a result, he just never really made it on, let alone stayed on, the national radar.

2014:  He wrestled as a TF having come in from Surrey, British Columbia being touted as the first Canadian wrestler to get a full ride to a DI school.  He went 27-10 that year, losing in the R12.  He would go on to take 2nd at FILA Junior Worlds, but later was given the gold after Geno P. tested positive.

2015:  Missed whole season due to Injury.

2016:  Took 2nd at Candadian Olympic Trials losing 2-2 and 2-2.  Went 32-5(5th at NCAA's) that season with 3 of his 5 coming to Coon(2x) and Snyder.  He also lost to Tanner Hall, whom he beat 2x's after that.  His other loss was a 3-1OT match to DII Champ Fagiano.

2017:  Again, missed whole season due to Injury.

2018:  He didn't wrestle until mid December and only wrestled in the Reno and Midlands tournaments(was very rusty).  He then only wrestled 5 matches in January and 4 more in February until Pac 12's.  Once he shook the rust off he would convincingly beat Butler(2x) and Tanner Hall before entering NCAA's with a 19-2 record(lost to Hemida and Jennings at Midlands).  He would finish 24-3(taking 3rd), beating Hughes(2x) by fall once and Kasper by fall as well.  He also beat Dunn 6-1 and Nevills 4-2.  His only loss was to Coon 4-2.

Edited by MSU158

G. Steveson beats Dhesi when the matchup comes.  I could see it 5-2, like an earlier poster said, but I could also see an absolutely blowout by Gable.  Gable is special, wrestles with malicious (in wrestling terms, not actual) intent, and delivers consistently.  

G. Steveson, Destroyer of Continents (for now).

G. Steveson beats Dhesi when the matchup comes.  I could see it 5-2, like an earlier poster said, but I could also see an absolutely blowout by Gable.  Gable is special, wrestles with malicious (in wrestling terms, not actual) intent, and delivers consistently.  

G. Steveson, Destroyer of Continents (for now)

And Continents Are Greater Than Provinces.