Sign in to follow this  
gowrestle

Next Rising Program?

Lock Haven. Honestly thought they were destine to drop to a lower division but they seem to be becoming relevant again in Div I. Not sure they will reach the level of some of the examples you mentioned but they are on the rise. 

Came here to say this. I doubt they consistently get team trophies, but I wouldnt be shocked one bit if they became a consistent "bubble team" in and out of the top 10. 

The two programs that I feel could make the jump from being OK to being a traditional Top 5 program are Arizona State and Pittsburgh.  Arizona State is a beautiful campus and there are  some very talented wrestlers on the West Coast to select from.  Pittsburgh has all the Western PA talent just outside it's back door not to mention it is only a short drive to the tradition rich Northeastern Ohio area.  Let's be honest, Penn State cannot get all the good talent in PA every year.  The question that I have always had about Pitt is if the school would put enough money in the wrestling program to hire and keep good coachs along with building a 1st class wrestling practice facility? Kids want good facilities for training.  

The key for Gavin is to nab the unwanted top PA guys before Ryan does.

The two programs that I feel could make the jump from being OK to being a traditional Top 5 program are Arizona State and Pittsburgh. Arizona State is a beautiful campus and there are some very talented wrestlers on the West Coast to select from. Pittsburgh has all the Western PA talent just outside it's back door not to mention it is only a short drive to the tradition rich Northeastern Ohio area. Let's be honest, Penn State cannot get all the good talent in PA every year. The question that I have always had about Pitt is if the school would put enough money in the wrestling program to hire and keep good coachs along with building a 1st class wrestling practice facility? Kids want good facilities for training.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Gowrestle, I'm surprised you didn't mention Mizzou.  Brian Smith has been here for 20 years now and other than possibly Cornell, there is no better example of a team rising from obscurity to national prominence in the last 20 years, although Mizzou has now been a top team for over a decade.  Not to mention PSU, their meteoric rise to the top goes without saying.

Gowrestle, I'm surprised you didn't mention Mizzou. Brian Smith has been here for 20 years now and other than possibly Cornell, there is no better example of a team rising from obscurity to national prominence in the last 20 years, although Mizzou has now been a top team for over a decade. Not to mention PSU, their meteoric rise to the top goes without saying.

Mizzou is one of my favorite programs. What they have done without all that many high level recruits is insane

They are also super consistent. Plenty of teams have broken into the top 10 for a couple of years, but very few stay there through more than 1 cycle of studs. Mizzou just keeps on taking under the radar guys and turning them into AAs. It’s nuts.

Arguably more impressive than what any other team has done.

Edited by Housebuye

Gowrestle, I'm surprised you didn't mention Mizzou. Brian Smith has been here for 20 years now and other than possibly Cornell, there is no better example of a team rising from obscurity to national prominence in the last 20 years, although Mizzou has now been a top team for over a decade. Not to mention PSU, their meteoric rise to the top goes without saying.

Brian Smith is one of the classiest coaches in the country. He has brought Missouri to the national stage.

Iowa State now has Ryan Anderson.

Could see a starting lineup of

125 - Reeves

133 - Gomez

141 -

149 - Anderson

157 - Carr

Ian Parker is damn good. He could slot in at 141.

That is a serious lineup. Carr is going to be a 4 time AA. Gomez is a beast. If his bullying style continues to work, he might even be a 4 time AA.

Ian Parker is damn good. He could slot in at 141.

That is a serious lineup. Carr is going to be a 4 time AA. Gomez is a beast. If his bullying style continues to work, he might even be a 4 time AA.

Mackall at 125 had a strong spring freestyle season, as well. Dresser and company are quietly putting together a team/program that will be built to last. Hoping the ISU/IU dual becomes relevant again in the near future.