Sign in to follow this  
aknipp

Nebraska 18-19

OK the Nebraska preview. NU is coming off a 9th place finish, losing 1 wrestler that earned points ninth NCAAs and a second qualifier who didn't make weight.

125 has gone from a question mark to a strength by adding Zeke Moisey, 2x AA graduate transfer from VTech. Zeke should earn a spot on the podium again giving NU points at 125. FR Alex Thomsen, originally would have started, will likely redshirt.

133 could see one from 125 move up, but more likely one of 2 SRs, 2 rFR and 2 FR will battle it out. I expect SR Brian Peska to start. Possible NQ here

141 AA Chad Red returns. Unseeded at the NCAAs he took 7. Two pins helped NU's team score. Red certainly expects to be on the podium aagain.

149 loses McCrystal who lost in the blood round. Two JRs will fight for this spot and I expect one or 2 from 157 to drop and see if they can win the job. Colin Purinton, who started two years ago, is the favorite. NQ, maybe a win or two in the tournament is what I would expect.

157 returns 2 time AA Tyler Berger. Don't know if he can improve on his 3rd place finish, especially with the talent at 157, but being hot at the right time could help. He'll be on the podium, just where is open.

165 Isaiah White fell in the blood round, both losses in SV, including the quarterfinal match against the NC Joseph. 165 is very tough again, White will make that blood round and a good shot at the podium.

174 rFR Mikey Labriola (I expect) will take that starting job from Breske. His redshirt year included two victories over 2018 AAs at 174. His only losses were to Lydy fro Purdue at the Midlands. Another likely AA.

184 returns AA Taylor Venz. Venz took 4th as a rFR. While he took more losses than you'd expect for #4, most were avenged later in the season. Venz will make that podium again and should be a finalist at some point in his career.

197 NQ Eric Schultz returns. He went 2-2 at the NCAAs. NU has some lighter guys at 285 and its possible one will try to drop. Either way NQ and a couple wins is a reasonable expectation.

285 David Jensen is one of 3 JRs,adding a FR and rFR into the mix looking to start. Jensen started last year but expect multiple challenges. There's a lot of new blood at 285 so this is really hard to predict.

In the end NU has a shot at 6 AAs, mostly 5-8, with a couple going for 3rd. Could do better, also could drop guys in the R12.

He is the one guy I fear when it comes to Cenzo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For good reason. White won when they wrestled a few years ago in HS and lost in SV last year. I'm really high on White but 165 is tough.

For good reason. White won when they wrestled a few years ago in HS and lost in SV last year. I'm really high on White but 165 is tough.

For sure, but if we knew for a fact cenzo wasn’t going to win the title next year, I’d say it goes to Massa, Wick, McFadden or White. He is right there.

For sure, but if we knew for a fact cenzo wasn’t going to win the title next year, I’d say it goes to Massa, Wick, McFadden or White. He is right there.

Not as high on Massa as some. If no Cenzo in the picture, I’d probabaly go White, Maranelli and McFadden in no particular order.

I can’t comment on Wick as I’ve honestly only seen him wrestle once (not sure why with as much wrestling as I watch)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pish6969

Massa is pretty tough taking 3rd as a freshman, and if I recall correctly he was banged up last year in a tough bracket. I'd probably take him over anyone but Joseph at this point, but wouldn't be surprised if Marinelli takes the leap or Marstellar puts it together for his last year.

But who am I kidding, we all know that a freshman will come out of "nowhere" knock off the already 2x reigning junior year champ and win again in 2020.

OK the Nebraska preview. NU is coming off a 9th place finish, losing 1 wrestler that earned points ninth NCAAs and a second qualifier who didn't make weight.

125 has gone from a question mark to a strength by adding Zeke Moisey, 2x AA graduate transfer from VTech. Zeke should earn a spot on the podium again giving NU points at 125.  

not a big deal but Moisey transferred from WVU, not VTech. 

Massa is pretty tough taking 3rd as a freshman, and if I recall correctly he was banged up last year in a tough bracket. I'd probably take him over anyone but Joseph at this point, but wouldn't be surprised if Marinelli takes the leap or Marstellar puts it together for his last year.

But who am I kidding, we all know that a freshman will come out of "nowhere" knock off the already 2x reigning junior year champ and win again in 2020.

Don't forget Wick.  Styles make matchups and he had real difficulty with McFadden and Lewis, but he had wins over Massa(3x out of 4) and White as well as lopsided wins over AA's Chavez, Marinelli and Marsteller.

Isn't the NJCAA finalist from Iowa Central back?  Hope they don't burn another year on him when a teammate can't make weight.  Maybe he gets a rs this year.   I really like Christian Lance coming in to the room at HWT.  

I think Labriola has a similar impact to what Venz did last year. He is going to be a good one. 

Agreed, Labriola is very good.  The field at 174 this year is stronger than 184 last year IMO, so might be tough to place high.  

Zahid, Hall, Amine, Lewis, McFadden, Kemerer will all be hard to displace.  Kutler too, if healthy.  

Agreed, Labriola is very good. The field at 174 this year is stronger than 184 last year IMO, so might be tough to place high.

Zahid, Hall, Amine, Lewis, McFadden, Kemerer will all be hard to displace. Kutler too, if healthy.

Damn. So stacked

Hope McFadden ends up at 165. He has an outside shot of winning a title there. At 174, he will be battling to be top 5.