Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

Rule changes

Rule changes: Two scoring adjustments were made for the push out and the ordered par terre position (Articles 39 and 45). If a wrestler pushes his/her opponent out of bounds with no meaningful action, no point will be awarded, and the attacking wrestler will not be penalized with a caution anymore. If the top wrestler commits a foul during the ordering of the par terre position, the bout will resume in the standing position without the top wrestler receiving a caution. These rules will be implemented on Sept. 1, 2018.

Can somebody elaborate on "meaningful action" does this mean a genuine attempt to score? I'm sure this has been discussed at length when they first put in the push-out rules, but I was just getting to feel like I understood the rules, and now they got to change them.

I guess I picture if you're pressuring a guy and he is kind of playing the edge/stalling, I think a "push-out" should still be a point...if he steps out, even if you're head to head battling, I like knowing definitively: that's a point.

Any clarification will be appreciated.

Edited by spladle08

Straight arm push-outs will not be scored only “meaningful action” (trying to score a takedown or exposure)

So like an under-hook push-out.

Is the underhook/hold position "Meaningful action"

Is basically everything a point, aside from a straight arm push-out?

Should the rule simply read "Straight arm pushouts will not be scored"

or is there more to the rule

Edited by spladle08

Just giving a hard straight-arm shove out of bound is not a point.  Hard pummeling and driving, reaching down for a leg, etc. is one point.

Ok, so it really hasn't changed for the most part, as long as it looks like wrestling all is well.

Thank you

Ok, so it really hasn't changed for the most part, as long as it looks like wrestling all is well.

Thank you

I wouldn’t be confident in how this rule will be implemented until we watch matches with the new rules. It seems like refs will use this rule in different ways

I wouldn’t be confident in how this rule will be implemented until we watch matches with the new rules. It seems like refs will use this rule in different ways

Yeah, i just hope it's uniform, and not a matter of opinion.

So will the classic Iranian undertook-to-drive-them-out-of-bounds be ruled no point. 86kg Yazdani is a master at this as well as half their team.

That's partially why I was asking, I think it qualifies as meaningful action.

A lot of wrestlers (including every Iranian ever) use that as a tool to control position and cause their opponent to make a decision when they get near that boundary, if the point is no longer an issue simply stepping out for a restart would be a viable strategy, obviously stepping out/running would be debatable but the guys above seem pretty confident everything aside from a straight arm shove is deemed "Meaningful action"

So will the classic Iranian undertook-to-drive-them-out-of-bounds be ruled no point. 86kg Yazdani is a master at this as well as half their team.

As I've seen it, I think this is still called a point.  The driving man is still engaged with his opponent working forward.  Not that I agree that this is much different in principle than a stiff arm shove at the edge of the mat.

As I've seen it, I think this is still called a point. The driving man is still engaged with his opponent working forward. Not that I agree that this is much different in principle than a stiff arm shove at the edge of the mat.

The whole point is that the rule has changed and will begin to be enforced September 1st. Therefore, we don’t know how they will call the underhook step-out.

Edited by Jon_Kozak

The whole point is that the rule has changed and will begin to be enforced September 1st. Therefore, we don’t know how they will call the underhook step-out.

so in other words, we are going into worlds wrestling with different rules.

joke.

so in other words, we are going into worlds wrestling with different rules.

joke.

So yes and no...

University Worlds is September 4-9 so that’s where we could be surprised by stuff.

After that there’s the Medved and another rankings tournament in September. Followed by Junior worlds September 17-23.

By the time seniors rolls around we should have an idea on how the new rule will be called...maybe.

I’m not sure why the change was made, seems to open up a wide variety of interpretations and ambiguity.

I’m not sure why the change was made, seems to open up a wide variety of interpretations and ambiguity.

In my view, rules changes like this are often about realizing that the coaches/wrestlers have learned how to game the old version to an extent that it needs fixing. For countries trying to score from the inside position, it shouldn't affect them that much, if your goal was simply to score a push out then you might need to learn something else.

So yes and no...

University Worlds is September 4-9 so that’s where we could be surprised by stuff.

After that there’s the Medved and another rankings tournament in September. Followed by Junior worlds September 17-23.

By the time seniors rolls around we should have an idea on how the new rule will be called...maybe.

that makes a little more sense... but it's still 

we wrestled the qualifiers using different rules. they just standardized the calendar... why not wait until the next cycle.

I think the change in the step out case is not about if it's one or no point, but the atacking wrestler is not going to receive a caution (and one point to his opponent) for the second time he pushes out his oppontent with straight arm. It's the same for the second foul of an attacking wrestler.