Sign in to follow this  
spladle08

133 Next Year

Has this been discussed???
Who is the favorite?
I was typing in the other thread that there is no way Fix is going up because its a terrifying weight to try and win.
Suriano is going up right?

Suriano
Gross
Pletcher
Micic
Wilson-NC State 10 ft tall killer
Bridges
Desanto
Parker
Mueller
Erneste

So on and so forth.
I was thinking man if I was Brock or Picc, I would be fine with letting the other guy have the weight and bumping, but 141 is no cakewalk either.

Going to be a great year of wrestling :) lets go!

Picc has the height, if he can get the bulk I'd love to see him go 133. He was mercilessly hammered by Lee last year at NCAAs, kinda broke his will in the tourney I thought (he got teched by Lizak afterward: Lizak isn't that much better than Picc). Problem is if he goes 133 and Brock goes 141: I don't see that going all too swimmingly for Brock either.  Might be best just to let Picc/Fix have it out at 125 and let the chips fall where they may. I wouldn't be too surprised if somebody transfers out next year.

Edited by TobusRex

Picc has the height, if he can get the bulk I'd love to see him go 133. He was mercilessly hammered by Lee last year at NCAAs, kinda broke his will in the tourney I thought. Problem is if he goes 133 and Brock goes 141: I don't see that going all too swimmingly for Brock either. Might be best just to let Picc/Fix have it out at 125 and let the chips fall where they may. I wouldn't be too surprised if somebody transfers out next year.

I don’t think he broke Picc’s will

Picc got a **** draw. His only losses were to lee and Lizak (1st, 4th)

I don’t think he broke Picc’s will

Picc got a **** draw. His only losses were to lee and Lizak (1st, 4th)

Yeah, but he got teched by Lizak after getting hammered by Lee. Lizak isn't that much better than Picc, if anything it's pretty nip/tuck between those guys normally. That's why I think Lee broke Picc.  But maybe Picc got hurt or something against Lee and decided to wrestle Lizak anyway?

Picc has the height, if he can get the bulk I'd love to see him go 133. He was mercilessly hammered by Lee last year at NCAAs, kinda broke his will in the tourney I thought (he got teched by Lizak afterward: Lizak isn't that much better than Picc). Problem is if he goes 133 and Brock goes 141: I don't see that going all too swimmingly for Brock either.  Might be best just to let Picc/Fix have it out at 125 and let the chips fall where they may. I wouldn't be too surprised if somebody transfers out next year.

FWIW, Arujau teched Picc at U23 this summer in about a minute and a half.  Not sure if that says more about Arujau or Picc, or both.  Or just freestyle.

Yeah, but he got teched by Lizak after getting hammered by Lee. Lizak isn't that much better than Picc, if anything it's pretty nip/tuck between those guys normally. That's why I think Lee broke Picc.  But maybe Picc got hurt or something against Lee and decided to wrestle Lizak anyway?

That NCAA match looked identical to the 2nd period of when they wrestled in the dual.  When Lizak gets on top of Picc it's over.  Picc is good in neutral, very good on top, and awful on bottom.  OSU has no RTC so to speak and no lightweight coach on staff, and all of their lightweights looked like they don't get coached at all.  Tons of talent and no development last year.  

OSU has no RTC so to speak and no lightweight coach on staff, and all of their lightweights looked like they don't get coached at all.  Tons of talent and no development last year.  

Hadn't even considered the coaching situation I knew they brought in Isaac Jordan...

Perry, Caldwell, Espo, if your a 165-197 you're in heaven

Wonder if they'll get a small guy soon,  solid observation

That NCAA match looked identical to the 2nd period of when they wrestled in the dual.  When Lizak gets on top of Picc it's over.  Picc is good in neutral, very good on top, and awful on bottom.  OSU has no RTC so to speak and no lightweight coach on staff, and all of their lightweights looked like they don't get coached at all.  Tons of talent and no development last year.  

Damn. John doesn't get in there with those little guys? That's kinda disappointing, actually.

I have this feeling in my gut that Fix would win 133 if he chose to go 133.  Case in point... Pletcher was 4th last year.  I see Fix pummeling Pletcher, regardless of style.  Wilson?  As soon as Fix gets on top, he's turning him multiple times, just like Lee, for the Tech.  Micic?  I think he's just better.  Suriano?  Same deal here.  Closer match, but Fix is better.  Gross?  If he wrestles like he does in Freestyle, Fix runs over him.  

In my gut... I have Fix winning 133, IF he chooses to do so.  If he goes 125, the latest "match of the century" unfolds, and I have Lee winning.

I have this feeling in my gut that Fix would win 133 if he chose to go 133.  Case in point... Pletcher was 4th last year.  I see Fix pummeling Pletcher, regardless of style.  Wilson?  As soon as Fix gets on top, he's turning him multiple times, just like Lee, for the Tech.  Micic?  I think he's just better.  Suriano?  Same deal here.  Closer match, but Fix is better.  Gross?  If he wrestles like he does in Freestyle, Fix runs over him.  

In my gut... I have Fix winning 133, IF he chooses to do so.  If he goes 125, the latest "match of the century" unfolds, and I have Lee winning.

I'm a huge FIX fan, and Oklahoma Homer, but what, from Fix's folkstyle results, gives you these thoughts?

He wrestled some "upper level" competition in Fausz and Bresser last year (2-1) both matches....

In Freestyle he would tech both no sweat.... but this isnt FREESTYLE

I'm a huge FIX fan, and Oklahoma Homer, but what, from Fix's folkstyle results, gives you these thoughts?

He wrestled some "upper level" competition in Fausz and Bresser last year (2-1) both matches....

In Freestyle he would tech both no sweat.... but this isnt FREESTYLE

But Fix could probably beat almost anyone in the country 2-1.  He scores a TD and picks neutral.  Margin of victory is a terrible predictor of future matches.  

But Fix could probably beat almost anyone in the country 2-1. He scores a TD and picks neutral. Margin of victory is a terrible predictor of future matches.

He truly could I will not argue but the post I was responding too was based on him running through everyone at the weight above. If he said "I think he can get a takedown, give up 1 escape, and choose neutral for a 2:1 win against anyone " I would have said "yeah he probably can, but not a great way to win" instead he said,

"Fix would win 133 if he chose to go 133. Case in point... Pletcher was 4th last year. I see Fix pummeling Pletcher, regardless of style. Wilson? As soon as Fix gets on top, he's turning him multiple times, just like Lee, for the Tech. Micic? I think he's just better. Suriano? Same deal here. Closer match, but Fix is better. Gross? If he wrestles like he does in Freestyle, Fix runs over him."

And I asked what in his folkstyle resume makes you think he is going to tech Wilson, or he is going to smash Plercher or he's better than Micic/Surriano/Gross...

if you say "I'm strictly saying he has great takedowns in freestyle" .... I'll say "good eye" but people wont say that, they'll say why doesn't it directly translate in his case? I know it doesn't translate directly for everyone else but for him it will.... come on man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

It's just in my gut... Like I said twice in my post. Is our education system really that bad? Reading comprehension must be the gimme subject these days. Jeesh.

You said "in my gut" then proceeded to break down in your "case in point" section all the reasons why he would win the weight...

Had you just said "In my gut I think he could win 133"... then it makes sense, its just a feeling...

But when you start providing specific examples with 0 facts behind them....

In my gut I could throw for an NFL team case in point Brett Favre threw for a team, I can see myself out throwing him, Tom Brady also a well know player I would out throw him, and Russel Wilson, I'd out throw him to, so like I said an NFL team should draft me.... in my gut

Edited by spladle08

He truly could I will not argue but the post I was responding too was based on him running through everyone at the weight above. If he said "I think he can get a takedown, give up 1 escape, and choose neutral for a 2:1 win against anyone " I would have said "yeah he probably can, but not a great way to win" instead he said,

"Fix would win 133 if he chose to go 133. Case in point... Pletcher was 4th last year. I see Fix pummeling Pletcher, regardless of style. Wilson? As soon as Fix gets on top, he's turning him multiple times, just like Lee, for the Tech. Micic? I think he's just better. Suriano? Same deal here. Closer match, but Fix is better. Gross? If he wrestles like he does in Freestyle, Fix runs over him."

And I asked what in his folkstyle resume makes you think he is going to tech Wilson, or he is going to smash Plercher or he's better than Micic/Surriano/Gross...

if you say "I'm strictly saying he has great takedowns in freestyle" .... I'll say "good eye" but people wont say that, they'll say why doesn't it directly translate in his case? I know it doesn't translate directly for everyone else but for him it will.... come on man

I agree trying to predict Folkstyle matches based on FS results is foolish.  But trying to predict based on margin of victory is just as foolish.  You have posted repeatedly in the past 24 hours across multiple threads that his 2-1 wins over good wrestlers are somehow marks against him. 

I agree trying to predict Folkstyle matches based on FS results is foolish. But trying to predict based on margin of victory is just as foolish. You have posted repeatedly in the past 24 hours across multiple threads that his 2-1 wins over good wrestlers are somehow marks against him.

Yeah 2 threads, both asking why he is shoe-in for the finals at 133 and nobody has given me a reason.

You have said "predicting future results on margin of victory is foolish" to which I have to ask...

What should I be basing them on, when all we have of his college career is that Snapshot?

I'd take margin of victory vs freestyle results anyday.

From those wins we can see he wrestled low scoring matches against 2 ~top 10 guys .

I guess it would be reasonable to say against top 4 guys at either weight we dont expect his dominance to go up?

I'll pose the question as basic as possible

"What makes anyone think Daton Fix has a good shot at the 133 finals based on his 2017/18 results" ?????

Edited by spladle08

Fine fine fine fine fine... I'll concede.  I'll concede that I have NO facts to support my "gut feeling".  Oh what a world, what a world.  Your incessant and OCD need to have facts is blindly ignoring the fact that I was simply sharing a gut opinion.  You know... something that is done DAILY by nearly EVERYONE on this forum.  

Now... if you can must the self-control... back away from the fact-checking needs that you have... and realize... my post that triggered you was a "gut feeling".  The only thing I can say to help you is that I was basing my gut feeling on not only his few matches his RS year, but also, how he has looked, ON HIS FEET, in freestyle.  The analog, whether anyone wants to believe it or not (and I don't really care) is Kyle Snyder.  If Fix can stay on his feet, his in a good position to defeat everyone at 133.  A corollary to this is that he SHOULD be pretty decent on top.  That trapped arm can be a nasty tilt in Folk.