Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Who are some exciting dark horses to look out for next season?

I will throw Brian Courtney of UVA in as a potential AA at 133.  Problem is, the weight is loaded but with a break here and there, he's a tough matchup.  That's assuming Mueller doesn't go 133.

The same Brian Courtney whom Arujau beat 12-2 at the Pittsburgh Classic last year?

Judging by their track record with this sort of thing: Probably someone from NC State. Who? I'm honestly not sure, I dont even know if anyone in their lineup would qualify in this category of "Dark horse". Tariq Wilson might be the last one they ever have, because he was sort of under recruited. Now more than ever their whole lineup will have eyes on them and it might be easy to see another Kevin jack, or Tariq Wilson coming. 

I also like Tejon Anthony out of George Mason. Tough weight, but it's opened up slightly. I think a Blood round finish isnt out of the question.  

Edited by iGranby

Judging by their track record with this sort of thing: Probably someone from NC State. Who? I'm honestly not sure, I dont even know if anyone in their lineup would qualify in this category of "Dark horse". Tariq Wilson might be the last one they ever have, because he was sort of under recruited. Now more than ever their whole lineup will have eyes on them and it might be easy to see another Kevin jack, or Tariq Wilson coming.

I also like Tejon Anthony out of George Mason. Tough weight, but it's opened up slightly. I think a Blood round finish isnt out of the question.

Maybe one of the Bullards? There were 43 and 44 on the big board I think, but they weren’t considered as serious AA threats

Now both have qualified, one as a true freshman, and have had two years in the room.

I will throw Brian Courtney of UVA in as a potential AA at 133.  Problem is, the weight is loaded but with a break here and there, he's a tough matchup.  That's assuming Mueller doesn't go 133.

The same Brian Courtney whom Arujau beat 12-2 at the Pittsburgh Classic last year?

133 went from a "soft" weight last year, to super deep in a hurry. 

Returning AA's (likely): Gross, Micic, Suriano, Wilson, Pletcher, Lizak, Parker, Bridges

In addition to those guys you have: Arujau, DeSanto, Mueller/Courtney, Fix/Picc, Erneste, Terao, Cam Kelly, Micky Phillipi, Korbin Myers.  

133 went from a "soft" weight last year, to super deep in a hurry. 

Returning AA's (likely): Gross, Micic, Suriano, Wilson, Pletcher, Lizak, Parker, Bridges

In addition to those guys you have: Arujau, DeSanto, Mueller/Courtney, Fix/Picc, Erneste, Terao, Cam Kelly, Micky Phillipi, Korbin Myers.  

And Austin Gomez

Yes, i think Courtney fits the definition of a "dark horse" for that reason.  No doubt, its a loaded weight but many of those other guys are not "dark horses".

I will throw Brian Courtney of UVA in as a potential AA at 133. Problem is, the weight is loaded but with a break here and there, he's a tough matchup. That's assuming Mueller doesn't go 133.

Pretty sure Courtney is going 141

VA will have a serious lightweight lineup if he does

Colby Smith 125 Mizzou will be a tough matchup for about anyone. Has some quality wins at 133 and will be a big 125.

Big and strong kids seem to really present matchup problems for kids at 125.  The only major issue is when they hold weight all season often times they don't wrestle as well at the end of the season as they do at the beginning.  

Watch out for Andrews at HWT for Wyoming.   His brother was the NJCAA champ a few years ago and probably will not start for OSU with White in the lineup.   Andrews is super tough.