Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Who are some exciting dark horses to look out for next season?

Who are guys who you expect to make a jump that haven’t already AAd and aren’t/weren’t top recruits?

The 125er At UTC, Alonzo Allen, is apparently looking good.

I like when the Dark Horse is somebody I have legitimately never heard of and dang he is a senior, if he does AA, Im pulling this thread back up to tip my cap

How about Taylor Venz? Bo's just wild enough I could see him pinning himself against a guy like Venz.

I got Venz pre-season chalked in as a finalist.

I think Bo is going up, and you can't really call the 4th place finisher from the year before a dark horse anything :)

tOSU has a few "dark horses" that are going to see the opportunity to shine:

* Keyshawn Hayes:  He's "there".  He's been knocking on the door.  A few "right" moves, and he's a very high placer at 149.

* Kaleb Romero:  A relative unknown and unproven in college, but, this is his RS Frosh year.  Last time that tOSU has a "decent" recruit with a "decent" RS year?  Kollin Moore?  oh yeah... 3rd/4th in back to back years.  Romero has the skills to compete.  He may be just on the outside, but.. upsets happen.

* Chase Singletary:  Same as Romero... but... his direct training partners are Moore, Snyder, and Tervel.

tOSU has a few "dark horses" that are going to see the opportunity to shine:

* Keyshawn Hayes:  He's "there".  He's been knocking on the door.  A few "right" moves, and he's a very high placer at 149.

* Kaleb Romero:  A relative unknown and unproven in college, but, this is his RS Frosh year.  Last time that tOSU has a "decent" recruit with a "decent" RS year?  Kollin Moore?  oh yeah... 3rd/4th in back to back years.  Romero has the skills to compete.  He may be just on the outside, but.. upsets happen.

* Chase Singletary:  Same as Romero... but... his direct training partners are Moore, Snyder, and Tervel.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but none of these guys qualify as dark horses.  

- Hayes was the 5 seed last year and only lost to the #4 and #2 seeds, he'll be ranked in the top 10 again to start the season. 

- Romero wasn't a "decent" recruit, he's a blue chipper.  Not comparable to Moore. 

- Singletary was an even higher ranked recruit than Romero.  

If Romero and Singletary are "dark horses," so are Fix, Warner, Arujau, etc.

Not trying to be a jerk here, but none of these guys qualify as dark horses.  

- Hayes was the 5 seed last year and only lost to the #4 and #2 seeds, he'll be ranked in the top 10 again to start the season. 

- Romero wasn't a "decent" recruit, he's a blue chipper.  Not comparable to Moore. 

- Singletary was an even higher ranked recruit than Romero.  

If Romero and Singletary are "dark horses," so are Fix, Warner, Arujau, etc.

No offense taken.  I put Hayes in, because his placement, or lack thereof, makes him a potential non-placer placing very high... which is... a dark horse?

In terms of the noobs in Romero and Singletary, they do not have the resumes or "quality wins" that Fix, Warner, and Arujau have.  We all know Fix is top 2 at 125.  We all know that Warner is high AA or contender level.  We know that Arujau (at least in Freestyle) has the skills to compete with the top 133's in the country.  

Romero and Singletary... neither of them have that type of resume.  Also, aside from a few tOSU homers like me, who has historically been stating "tOSU is going to have a monster in Romero" when he was initially recruited.  The board was more like "nice pickup... might AA, might not".  Singletary was a blue chipper... sure... but hasn't really beaten anyone of note in his RS year, so the jury is still out.  

My point is this... Fix, Warner, Arujau, etc. are MUCH more known than the two noobs I listed, and since they are more "under the radar", I listed them as potential dark horses.

No offense taken.  I put Hayes in, because his placement, or lack thereof, makes him a potential non-placer placing very high... which is... a dark horse?

A dark horse, at least by my definition, requires an element of surprise, right? Not many would be surprised to see Hayes place top 5.

My point is this... Fix, Warner, Arujau, etc. are MUCH more known than the two noobs I listed, and since they are more "under the radar", I listed them as potential dark horses.

Fair enough -- but OP did use the qualifier "weren’t top recruits" in his post.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie