Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Richard Perry accident

“Last night, Rich suffered a terrible accident. He was at the national team training camp in San Diego. His eye was impaled causing brain trauma. He is in the fight for his life right now. He was medevaced to one of the top Neurological hospitals in California.”

That’s really scary stuff. Was he in a car accident? Did this happen wrestling somehow?

I think if his eye was impaled and he has brain trauma that isn't something you come back from. He will be permanently affected I'm sure.

You're basing that on what knowledge? Glass half full Mr! Prayers for Richard and his family

Is Bryce Meredith at the camp?  He tweeted that it was the worst accident he's ever seen.  Still no details.  I feel so terrible for Richard and his family.  I think he has 3 kids?  Hoping he can survive this.  

Here’s the latest update-

“Update from Gina!!!

“Thank you all so much for the prayers! God is certainly hearing them and acting on them. This morning we walked in on Rich standing with assistance. Praise God that is just leaps and bounds better than yesterday! Not only that, but he even cracked a smile for us as he was standing in true Rich fashion. He is able to hear us and acknowledges our questions and what we are saying to him. Honestly, at this point I could not be more excited about his progress and it’s all because of God’s mercy, grace, and love—your prayers are moving mountains! Please keep them coming. While this will be a long road to recovery, it will be one to a FULL RECOVERY! I am claiming that in the name of Jesus!

We are waiting on an exact date for next week’s surgery to remove the bone fragment from the front part of his brain. We need prayers that that surgery goes smoothly and as planned. Please pray that God guides the hands of the surgical team and that all goes according to plan... or even better.

The swelling is going down and it seems that this is all a waiting game for now, until Rich has surgery. The pool of blood on the back right side of his brain is causing paralysis on the left side of his body. Though it will take time, we’ve been told the bruising will heal and the paralysis will dissipate. We are believing that he WILL regain functionality.

He is now stable enough to get an MRI this afternoon to learn more about what’s going on as far as brain function.

We just have to continue to wait and pray, and in time all things will work together for God’s glory. We are so incredibly thankful for ALL of the prayers, love and support you all are showing to our family. I am blown away and overwhelmed with the love and support from the entire wrestling community at all levels, as well as all of our friends and family. Having you in our life is such an incredible blessing. Your texts, calls, messages and everything in between, are so uplifting! God is so SO good! Please do not stop praying for Rich.””

That's awesome, and she sounds super positive #GoodPeople.
Bone Fragment? What happened exactly can anyone elaborate or is it somehow in poor taste to ask the details of something we are all discussing

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/August/29/Please-consider-supporting-Richard-Perry-and-his-family-after-serious-injury

I know nothing of what happened and this is pure speculation on my part but how everything mentions that it happened during training, and the severity of the accident, it makes me think he collided with something on the wall, or edge of the mat.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2018/August/29/Please-consider-supporting-Richard-Perry-and-his-family-after-serious-injury

I know nothing of what happened and this is pure speculation on my part but how everything mentions that it happened during training, and the severity of the accident, it makes me think he collided with something on the wall, or edge of the mat.

Yeah I assumed the corner of something during a drill. if its breaking off a piece of bone... man

Great wrestler, great person, great ambassador for the country.

Hope his wife is right and a full recovery is in his future.

Crazy

That's awesome, and she sounds super positive #GoodPeople.

Bone Fragment? What happened exactly can anyone elaborate or is it somehow in poor taste to ask the details of something we are all discussing

I think we're all curious.  I don't think it's poor taste to ask, but until it's 100% that Rich is going to be OK I wouldn't expect to hear anything.  Given that it apparently happened during training, there's a decent chance that there's a training partner involved that might be feeling at fault here, even though it sounds like a freak accident.   Reason enough to keep it quiet for the time being, IMO.  

For those concerned this type of injury could happen to them during wrestling/drilling, the answer is "no".

Wishing a full and speedy recovery for Rich.  The wrestling community really stepped up to help out.  Amazing support.

I think we're all curious.  I don't think it's poor taste to ask, but until it's 100% that Rich is going to be OK I wouldn't expect to hear anything.  Given that it apparently happened during training, there's a decent chance that there's a training partner involved that might be feeling at fault here, even though it sounds like a freak accident.   Reason enough to keep it quiet for the time being, IMO.  

Well put, decorum has never been my strong suit.

And I was just thinking of his training partners mentality as well.

Sad Stuff here

Terrible news, and this may sound really stupid on my part, but dosen't USA Wrestling or some other entity provide some type of insurance?

Well he is both employeed by USA Wrestling, and definitely a card-carrying member, so he should be covered for his medical expenses at least, right?  I assume the fundraising will help with his family having to take time off and make a lot arrangements for travel and rooming on really short notice, which is a great thing that the wrestling community came together to help with.  Really tough situation, and i wish them all the best.

Well he is both employeed by USA Wrestling, and definitely a card-carrying member, so he should be covered for his medical expenses at least, right?  I assume the fundraising will help with his family having to take time off and make a lot arrangements for travel and rooming on really short notice, which is a great thing that the wrestling community came together to help with.  Really tough situation, and i wish them all the best.

Yeah I wrestled my whole life and never knew the details of exactly what they covered as far as overall amount. I would assume it would cap at 50k or something 

Like you said, family not working, travel, etc... is definitely a large portion, then you throw in at the time, he couldn't stand or show he could understand people speaking, so that throws in just a whole new set of special care problems after the fact... (when they set the goal for the GofundMe I'm sure they expected the absolute worst)

As soon as I started typing this I figured it would be easy to find the numbers:  ( http://content.themat.com/forms/Insuranceinfo.pdf ) has the whole thing.

Some Relevant numbers, it wont let me cut and paste correctly so this will have to do

For All Full and High Performance Athlete members of USA Wrestling, in addition to all members of the
Senior National Team:
• $100,000 maximum Accident Medical Expense benefit limit with following
sub-limits:
– Accidental Dental – $100,000
– Physical Therapy – $100,000
– Orthopedic Appliance – $100,000
Edited by spladle08