Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Richard Perry accident

How can people call this a freak accident or alternatively call for the jobs of people at USAW without knowing the full details of what happened. It’s very possible that this was an accident. It’s also possible that it occurred due to irresponsibility from the coaching staff or military due to an unsafe exercise/faulty equipment. It’s impossible to know without knowing the details.

Hopefully an investigative reporter will get to the bottom of this if it is the fault of negligence at USAW as some are suggesting.

Edited by Billyhoyle

I wrestled in the Midwest early 80’s-mid 00’s, HS in Indiana college in Michigan. In Florida now and it’s known everywhere I’ve been. Maybe your coach just wasn’t a fan, it’s not exactly a risk free activity

How can people call this a freak accident or alternatively call for the jobs of people at USAW without knowing the full details of what happened. It’s very possible that this was an accident. It’s also possible that it occurred due to irresponsibility from the coaching staff or military due to an unsafe exercise/faulty equipment. It’s impossible to know without knowing the details.

Hopefully an investigative reporter will get to the bottom of this if it is the fault of negligence at USAW as some are suggesting.

As you said, without knowing the details it is just speculation. At this point, I tend to think the liability lies with the helmet manufacturer, unless the helmet was not not made specifically for this activity. Then it gets more complicated.

I wrestled in the Midwest early 80’s-mid 00’s, HS in Indiana college in Michigan. In Florida now and it’s known everywhere I’ve been. Maybe your coach just wasn’t a fan, it’s not exactly a risk free activity

That’s probably it. I didn’t travel much to wrestle, it was a sport I did between the football and track seasons.

It’s stated as a freak accident on his go fund me page. I imagine whoever wrote that is pretty close to the situation (likely even quoting Perry himself, so to speak), and personally that’s what I’m basing that on.

I’m not missing that point at all, I understand what you are saying. My point with that is so are a lot of the other activities we engage in regularly, and I think the difference here we are just not used to seeing this kind of activity in wrestling. To bring back my matball example and put it another way....I would venture to guess the risk of serious injury in that game is higher than what (it appears) they were doing here. Yet we consider that a right of passage in the wrestling world. We play with no training at all. Here’s a ball, here’s a couple rules, now go mangle each other. It’s just my opinion the outcry is more about our level of familiarity than the level of risk.

I would disagree that mat ball poses greater risk of serious injury than pugil sticks. The key word being "serious".

The military has strict guidelines for both stick construction and inspection and for safety officers during matches. You don't have that or need it for a mat ball game.

I know of a matball incident resulting in a broken neck and paralysis. Close to home incident. Not the norm I know, but neither is this. Which is kind of my point.

I don’t know how you would have strict guidelines for construction and inspection of....a ball.

Edited by Lurker

I know of a matball incident resulting in a broken neck and paralysis. Close to home incident. Not the norm I know, but neither is this. Which is kind of my point.

I don’t know how you would have strict guidelines for construction and inspection of....a ball.

I don't doubt that someone has suffered a broken neck from playing mat ball, but the number of mat ball participants is probably 1000x higher than the number of pugil sticks participants. Neither of us know the facts and we are arguing about relative risk and this is where I am going to drop out. I had my say and I'm content I made my point. 

Just talked with my son, who is an Airborne Ranger and combat veteran of Iraq; in short, he's done the most demanding training the Army offers.  They do not use pugil sticks in their training for safety reasons.  As he told me, you put a bunch of alpha males together and give them weapons (even though padded) to bash each other about the head, the risk of injury is too great; you can't tell guys to go 50% because they're not wired that way.  With a platoon depending on total readiness, you cannot take a chance of eliminating a key member of the unit.

Now, switch soldiers with incredibly powerful world-class wrestlers.  Disaster waiting to happen.

If Richard Perry and a couple guys decided to make use of the sticks on their own time outside of the training schedule, bad decision.  If this was part of an official team function attended by coaches, total irresponsibility.  

Just talked with my son, who is an Airborne Ranger and combat veteran of Iraq; in short, he's done the most demanding training the Army offers.  They do not use pugil sticks in their training for safety reasons.  As he told me, you put a bunch of alpha males together and give them weapons (even though padded) to bash each other about the head, the risk of injury is too great; you can't tell guys to go 50% because they're not wired that way.  With a platoon depending on total readiness, you cannot take a chance of eliminating a key member of the unit.

Now, switch soldiers with incredibly powerful world-class wrestlers.  Disaster waiting to happen.

If Richard Perry and a couple guys decided to make use of the sticks on their own time outside of the training schedule, bad decision.  If this was part of an official team function attended by coaches, total irresponsibility.  

There's something profoundly wrong with anyone who would jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Good points on everything, btw.

I never did combat training again after finishing Basic Training (was shipped off to duty way behind the lines, the way I liked it). I enjoyed the combat training in Basic though, was pretty fun. The pugil stick training was hilarious (I was my company champ!), but my fave part was the ridiculous hand to hand combat training. I figure it was for confidence building, because I can't imagine it would be any good at all vs a real fighter. The Drill Sergeant noticed that I did an excellent hip toss (didn't know I was a wrestler), and had me demonstrate it 20 times on my buddy in front of the platoon. Then, he had us all head to the showers. My pal was so pissed, I thrashed the piss out of him with 20 hip tosses and he didn't get to toss me even once!

Edited by TobusRex

Here’s the latest update on his upcoming surgery.

“Ok we need to pray hard today lots of requests. Rich has a slight fever preventing them from performing the surgery. The doctor said the surgery to remove the bone fragments from his brain needs to be within a 10 day window. So we need all of this to clear up.

We are keeping our thoughts positive but I do want you all to understand the gravity of the situation here. This is not the kind of injury that will easily heal after surgery and a few weeks or months of physical therapy. This is going to change the trajectory of Rich’s life. Rich, his children and his wife will be dealing with the after math of this horrific accident for years to come.

I am asking that you please continue to pray, share and donate what you can. The Perry family has a long road ahead of them. I can not stress this enough. It’s hard to find the words to adequately describe the direness of the situation without sounding like we’ve given up hope—because we have NOT given up hope and do believe in Rich’s FULL recovery. We will never give up on Rich. We will never give up hope. But I do want to make it clear that this is going to affect the rest of their lives and they truly truly need every prayer, penny and kind word they can get.

As always, I will continue to keep you all as updated as I possibly can. We can’t thank you enough for all you’ve done so far. Please keep the Perry family in your prayers.

God bless.”

Wow. So sad. Rich’s wife sounds like a wonderful person.

This is when people are tested. Anyone can be polite and loyal when things are going well. **** hit the fan and she is doing exactly what a good person would do. I can’t imagine how difficult this is.

Yeah I wrestled my whole life and never knew the details of exactly what they covered as far as overall amount. I would assume it would cap at 50k or something

Like you said, family not working, travel, etc... is definitely a large portion, then you throw in at the time, he couldn't stand or show he could understand people speaking, so that throws in just a whole new set of special care problems after the fact... (when they set the goal for the GofundMe I'm sure they expected the absolute worst)

As soon as I started typing this I figured it would be easy to find the numbers: ( http://content.themat.com/forms/Insuranceinfo.pdf ) has the whole thing.

Some Relevant numbers, it wont let me cut and paste correctly so this will have to do

For All Full and High Performance Athlete members of USA Wrestling, in addition to all members of the

Senior National Team:

• $100,000 maximum Accident Medical Expense benefit limit with following

sub-limits:

– Accidental Dental – $100,000

– Physical Therapy – $100,000

– Orthopedic Appliance – $100,000

I was in the ICU 3 days last year for a pulmonary embolism and the bill was $90k.

His medical bills are going to be extravagant

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I'm not a religious guy, but when I read what Gina is writing, I cannot help but be moved and even say a prayer. I hope that her enormous faith and her family's faith be answered, and I wish Rich a speedy road to recovery.

Without having been there, it's really hard to judge. I know some people said earlier they wouldn't assign blame though it's hard not to speculate. I don't know except to say with the benefit of hindsight, I'm sure there are at least a few people who are feeling incredible guilt right now. Even if they should've known, they are fallible humans and could use our good thoughts as well.

Another update by Gina-

Update from Gina! -

‘Rich continues to battle the fever. The surgery is cancelled due to the fever. He is showing improvement—right eye remains open and left eye openinning 2 or 3 times on his own. He’s slightly confused but still responsive. Great hand control on his right side. Has about 20 mins of interaction (not a lot of talking but more than what the doctors expected). He’s still fighting and needs to continue to do so but has already made more progress than expected.

We truly appreciate the prayers specific requests include: prayers to get rid of the fever, maintain a good blood pressure and prevent blood clots while continuing to work on the healing of his eye and the reduction of swelling.

My Faith in God and His promises is unwavering. I believe in this healing for Rich and if the healing does not come, then that’s God’s will and I know He will carry us through whatever His plan is for our family. ’

I was in the ICU 3 days last year for a pulmonary embolism and the bill was $90k.

His medical bills are going to be extravagant

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You got gipped! I had this exact thing happen to me last year after a labrum repair, and the total bill for everything was 67k.

The point being that 100k might as well be nothing if the scenario is as serious as being described. If Perry does have Brain Surgery and requires ongoing care afterwards the medical bills will be closer to the GDP of a small country then they will be to the cap on USAW insurance.

Wishing the best to him and his family in this time of trial.

Edited by LoStNuMbEr

Based on the loose details, it sounds like both the helmets and sticks could have been defectively designed and unreasonably dangerous. This horrific injury sounds like it should not have occurred during this type of activity. Hopefully the family explores the possibility of a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturers of the sticks and the helmet. If this injury is half as bad as it sounds, he and his family will need all the help they can get. Even if the sticks and helmets were not designed expressly for this purpose, it may be possible to hold the manufacturers responsible for failing to warn or failing to make their products safe for all foreseeable use. Fortunately this happened in California where there are still laws in place to protect consumers from defectively designed products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if the sticks and helmets were not designed expressly for this purpose, it may be possible to hold the manufacturers responsible for failing to warn or failing to make their products safe for all foreseeable use.

If Pugil sticks they better have been designed for forward strikes to the face, because that is one of the primary ways to score using Pugil sticks.

Based on the loose details, it sounds like both the helmets and sticks could have been defectively designed and unreasonably dangerous. This horrific injury sounds like it should not have occurred during this type of activity. Hopefully the family explores the possibility of a product liability lawsuit against the manufacturers of the sticks and the helmet. If this injury is half as bad as it sounds, he and his family will need all the help they can get. Even if the sticks and helmets were not designed expressly for this purpose, it may be possible to hold the manufacturers responsible for failing to warn or failing to make their products safe for all foreseeable use. Fortunately this happened in California where there are still laws in place to protect consumers from defectively designed products.

This sounds exactly why lawn darts became illegal LOL. 

Update from Gina -

‘Update: So, today was probably the first time since this incident occurred, that I was actually panicked with fear. Today Rich had a seizure—the exact cause is unknown. The doctors and staff moved quickly to make sure nothing internally was further damaged, and it wasn’t

I won’t lie to you, today, For a moment I let fear overcome me—I let my guard down. I was quickly reminded that we are NOT in control, the doctors are NOT in control, Rich is not in control. God, God has all the power here and He is taking care of everything. When the team ran into the room to assist and help Rich, I felt a panic wash over me that I’ve only ever experienced once before when Mya was taken to the NICU. I started going through the what if’s and all at once I dropped to my knees with the weight of the situation. I wanted to crumble but instead I began to pray.

I don’t think I’ve ever pleaded with God so hard, but during that plea a peace came over me and I realized once again that God has a plan. I need to trust that plan. We need to trust His plan. He has NOT failed us yet. All things are working together for God’s glory. All things. God has Rich right where he needs to be.

So, guess what these new scans and X-rays showed us? The seizure did not cause any more damage, his lungs are still clear and healthy. The best part, the bruising/bleeding on his brain has actually improved some

Now, while we are concerned about the seizures, they are being treated and I am asking that we all pray there are no more episodes. The doctors are running a few more tests while Rich remains in the ICU under close watch and I will update you tomorrow when I receive the results.

I do ask that you please continue to pray God provides the doctors with the wisdom and knowledge to give Rich the best care possible, that the seizures cease, and that Rich’s test results come back clear.

Rich continues to fight and draw his strength from the Lord, that is for sure ❤️ miracles are happening and mountains are moving. Thank you all for your continued prayers, love and support. #perrycomeback #perrystrong #GodisSOgood’