Sign in to follow this  
JBluegill133

Richard Perry accident

You're basing that on what knowledge? Glass half full Mr! Prayers for Richard and his family

Serious injuries like that are not something people generally have and then 100% recover from ever.  It's a horrible thing that happened and I wish him nothing but the best, but I doubt that he will be unaffected by this in the future.  I hope that he is able to be there for his family more than anything.  

Yeah I wrestled my whole life and never knew the details of exactly what they covered as far as overall amount. I would assume it would cap at 50k or something

Like you said, family not working, travel, etc... is definitely a large portion, then you throw in at the time, he couldn't stand or show he could understand people speaking, so that throws in just a whole new set of special care problems after the fact... (when they set the goal for the GofundMe I'm sure they expected the absolute worst)

As soon as I started typing this I figured it would be easy to find the numbers: ( http://content.themat.com/forms/Insuranceinfo.pdf ) has the whole thing.

Some Relevant numbers, it wont let me cut and paste correctly so this will have to do

For All Full and High Performance Athlete members of USA Wrestling, in addition to all members of the

Senior National Team:

• $100,000 maximum Accident Medical Expense benefit limit with following

sub-limits:

– Accidental Dental – $100,000

– Physical Therapy – $100,000

– Orthopedic Appliance – $100,000

That 100k wont last long

Well if he has had to undergo surgery and other extensive examinations and treatments, that 100 grand has already been spent, so I believe the Go Fund Me goal will need to be substantially increased. It would also be nice that word of this Go Fund Me account could get additional notoriety outside the wrestling community.

Wow, that is significantly lower than I thought it was for senior athletes. It’s shocking that a national team member, at a national team camp, sustaining a work-related injury, would only be eligible for the cap which any club kid has. I hope they end up doing a lot more for him than that, as you’re right that is gone. I loved watching perry wrestle, and he is by all accounts a great guy, and family man; I’ll be contributing today.

Here’s the latest update from Gina

More news from Gina!!

“God is SO good. I mean He truly is SO SO good those with heavy hearts, I urge you to lay them down and rejoice! Rejoice because God is a God of miracles and I know that may seem crazy for me to say right now, but I promise He is!

When we arrived at the hospital this morning the news was grim and not at all what we wanted to hear. They said Ri Ch Perry was too lethargic, not staying awake, and it concerned them that he was unable to talk at all. So, instead of allowing their prognosis to cause fear or chaos, I asked you all to pray and I am so grateful for all who did, because the day quickly turned around

Today Rich not only said, “I love you” THREE times, but he pulled me in for a hug and a kiss, he was holding Zekes hand and tickling his feet, he also rubbed Zeke’s back as I held him. He held my phone in his hand and watched a video of Mya and Beau and smiled when they said “I love you daddy.” Oh, there is so much more he did today! He took a marker and was doing all sorts of tricks with it in his hand, his same hand that earlier that morning he couldn’t even clench shut! When his teammates came to visit and pray over him, he said “Can I get an Amen?!” And before we left for the night he told me “Sweet Dreams!”

These may not sound like much to you, but I promise from when I first arrived and saw him, what he is doing now is absolutely incredible. ❤️ please continue to pray for his eyes to open and his strength to be renewed each day by the Lord.”

I noticed the Shot Sled photo at gofundme site. I wonder if that has anything with the accident? Richard falling on the foot of sled?

From what I have heard - the accident occurred on a military base (Marines?) and happened during an exercise w/ what sounds like Pugil sticks.  Apparently Richard was hit in the head by another wrestler on the team and his helmet broke/shattered and pieces from the helmet hit him in the eye area penetrating his skull.  My information source is 3rd hand so any corrections are welcome.

Richard Perry is a wonderful person - praying he recovers 100%.

From what I have heard - the accident occurred on a military base (Marines?) and happened during an exercise w/ what sounds like Pugil sticks.  Apparently Richard was hit in the head by another wrestler on the team and his helmet broke/shattered and pieces from the helmet hit him in the eye area penetrating his skull.  My information source is 3rd hand so any corrections are welcome.

Holy smokes.  I assume that they are being quiet about the incident is because they don't want anybody to blame the other wrestler who hit him (if this is true).  I can only imagine what that other person is feeling like and I don't blame anybody if we never hear who it was.  Of course, none of us would put any blame on that person but they must feel awful.  THe person must have been big and strong to have done that through a helmet.  

From what I have heard - the accident occurred on a military base (Marines?) and happened during an exercise w/ what sounds like Pugil sticks. Apparently Richard was hit in the head by another wrestler on the team and his helmet broke/shattered and pieces from the helmet hit him in the eye area penetrating his skull. My information source is 3rd hand so any corrections are welcome.

https://youtu.be/B0akLZUFdN8

Is that pugil sticks? I am surprised by this. But anything could have happened.

That closely matches what I have heard, albeit 4th hand. Sounds like a rare accident, and I know that well all hope and pray the best for Rich. Donating to his recovery fund is the best way for us to show our support. 

If USA Wrestling isn’t paying for EVERY expense I will be appalled. This is 100% on them liability-wise. And more importantly, morally. The fact that there is a go fund me sickens me.

USA Wrestling should have had a release stating all costs concerning this will be paid for. Travel, loss of salary, etc.

I’d love to be wrong about this, but it sure doesn’t sound like USA Wrestling is owning up.

If USA Wrestling isn’t paying for EVERY expense I will be appalled. This is 100% on them liability-wise. And more importantly, morally. The fact that there is a go fund me sickens me.

USA Wrestling should have had a release stating all costs concerning this will be paid for. Travel, loss of salary, etc.

I’d love to be wrong about this, but it sure doesn’t sound like USA Wrestling is owning up.

It's hard to know what to think without knowing what happened.

Edited by Katie

Well if that is indeed the case there maybe some processes to still go through in order for USA Wrestling’s insurance to fully foot the bill. Insurance companies are stingy so until the investigation is done they are unlikely to pay. In the mean time USA Wrestling could be hesitant to do anything in fear that would be part of a neglect admission which could cause them be held liable for much more and the insurance company could claim USAW not them should pay a large part of that final sum. My mother-in-law has a similar situation occur with a good family friend and had to wait awhile for the insurance to sort it out. Even through her friend wanted to help her lawyer said they had to wait through to process to ensure the insurance would cover it properly and the friend wouldn’t get caught paying out a large sum out of pocket with a possibility of being sued for more. In the end it worked out but it was a much longer process because of the insurance and lawyer stuff. It sounds logically for UsAW to help cover things right away if it was on their end, but lawyers and insurance companies can make things worse when you jump in fast trying to do right. Until insurance comes through the Perry family would need some immediate assistance which is why finding ways to support them now is as good as the community can do. Edited by MadMardigain

Rec activity to stay active, break the monotony, have some fun, team building. Same reason you see mat ball, slam ball, and other activities in practice and camps.

Dodge ball, fine.

Jousting? For people with no experience with jousting? I can't see it.

Edited by TBar1977

While jousting? I guess I just don't understand why they would be jousting.

Best wishes for a full recovery for Richard Perry.

I honestly think it's a bad idea to train at a military base.

A real bad idea.

Wrestling isn't the military. To be injured by jousting is absolutely ridiculous!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by cjc007

So as more information is coming out I'm getting more pissed.  If indeed this happened using jousting sticks and if indeed this was a session sanctioned by the coaching staff, this is beyond irresponsible.  Absolutely dumb before a World championship.  Unconscionable.  I'm hoping someone from USA Wrestling will clarify exactly what happened.