Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

PSU Lineup official details

Good point about Verk, there was some speculation he may go down to 141 and Lee redshirt since he wrestled 143 in offseason freestyle.

Also - Teasdale at 125 and RBY at 133, expected but official now.  Think that'll be a very tough cut for Gavin

Good point about Verk, there was some speculation he may go down to 141 and Lee redshirt since he wrestled 143 in offseason freestyle.

Also - Teasdale at 125 and RBY at 133, expected but official now.  Think that'll be a very tough cut for Gavin

Not saying the guys listed above are slouches, obviously 157 thru HVY PSU  has pure monsters, but those first 4 weights especially minus Lee (if it happens) are going to be rough.

Berge At 149

No idea how he is going to make that, but it is his only shot at being in the lineup this year. I wonder how he does vs Verkleeren

I don't think he was cutting much weight last year @ 157, IMO it's not going to be too hard of a pull for him.  

Pure speculation on my part, but IMO he smokes Verkleeren.  Can't remember if it was the US Open or Junior WTT, but Verkleeren got teched by Van Maanen, and Berge then teched Van Maanen in the next round.  

125 Teasdale and Teske

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Berge, Verkleeren

157 Nolf

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Rasheed

197 Bo Nickal

Hwt Nick Nevills and Cassar

That line up is very salty, even the front 4 weights which some might think are relatively weaker.

125 Teasdale and Teske

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Berge, Verkleeren

157 Nolf

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Rasheed

197 Bo Nickal

That line up is very salty, even the front 4 weights which some might think are relatively weaker.

They don’t even need that many points from the first 4 to win

157: 27

165: 22

174: 20

184: 10

197: 25

285: 10

115, excluding the first 4 weights. They probably just need 20 or so from the first 4 to win it. Lee will score at least 10 himself, so 10 from Teasdale, RBY and Berge.

PSU is a heavy favorite.

125 Teasdale and Teske

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Berge, Verkleeren

157 Nolf

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Rasheed

197 Bo Nickal

Yeah if Lee is in, it definitely  takes away from the drama, but somebody earlier said he may redshirt, and if that is the case, and you 0 AA's (obviously some "points") from 125-149 it becomes a little more interesting

They're just too good 157-HWT for many teams in the country to compete with.

I could see OSU with the potential to AA at every weight, but they have ( in my opinion) only like 1 guy (Fix) you would think "Should" be a finalist, and that's only if he stays at 125 and still doesn't even feel like a "lock" at all.

Between Nolf -Champ, VJ-high placer (I know he has won 2 but not without the early round nail biters and the weight is terrifying), Rashed - Point scorer, Hall (High placer), BoNick- Champ, and Nevills/Cassar-AA

I mean I think they would win the title with just 157-HWT this year  (Im not going to do the math, but geeez)

Who is the next team in line to challenge points wise? Am I selling somebody short.
without digging into last years results just going off memory..

I know PSU lost Retherford but
Ohio state loses Nato/Jordan/Snyder
Can't think of Iowa losing an key cogs? but they were just soo far back
And Cornell/NCState/Vtech just don't have the depth to break 100 points

So you're saying its a race for 2nd

I don't know if I would say that.  PSU definitely has the highest floor though.  Outside of injuries, I can't see a way they score less than 130.  I would have said Iowa has the most realistic shot at catching them, but given the Stoll situation.... they may have shot themselves in the foot.  

IMO somewhat optimistic point ranges are:

Penn State: 135 - 150     [upper range assumes 3 champs and 9 AA's]

Ohio State: 110 - 135     [upper range assumes 8 AA's and 2 champs]

Iowa: 115 - 140     [upper range assumes 9 AA's and 3 finalists, 1 champ]

Oklahoma State: 100 - 130     [upper range assumes 10 AA's, 1 champ]

Predicting 4 teams to finish with 100+ points sounds insane... but looking at the lineups it's definitely possible.  It actually feels like one of these teams would need to under perform to score less than 100.  

Penn State: 135 - 150     [upper range assumes 3 champs and 9 AA's]

Ohio State: 110 - 135     [upper range assumes 8 AA's and 2 champs]

Iowa: 115 - 140     [upper range assumes 9 AA's and 3 finalists, 1 champ]

Oklahoma State: 100 - 130     [upper range assumes 10 AA's, 1 champ]

Well played.

I forgot Iowa added Desanto, going to go check out their lineup to see what else I am forgetting

125 Teasdale and Teske

133 RBY

141 Nick Lee

149 Berge, Verkleeren

157 Nolf

165 Cenzo

174 Hall

184 Rasheed

197 Bo Nickal

Let's play out the hypothetical tOSU matchup:

125:  Teasdale or Teske dec. Mead (Heinselman RS?) 3-0 PSU

133:  Pletcher dec. RBY  3-3 Tie

141:  McKenna dec. Lee  6-3 tOSU

149:  Hayes dec. Berge/Verk 9-3 tOSU

157:  Nolf TF Jordan - 9-8 tOSU

165:  Cenzo dec. Romero - 11-9 PSU

174:  Hall WBF Campbell - 17-9 PSU

184:  Martin dec. Rasheed - 17-12 PSU

197:  Nickal dec. Moore - 20-12 PSU (I could easily see Bo pinning Moore, but also Moore dec. Nickal)

HWT:  Nevills dec. Singletary - 23-12 PSU

There.. tOSU homerism and all... PSU still dominant.

Well played.

I forgot Iowa added Desanto, going to go check out their lineup to see what else I am forgetting

That's the thing that could keep the prospect of a tight team race interesting throughout the season, IMO.  There is definitely a world where DeSanto comes out at the start of the next season and looks like a national title contender.  Not saying it's the world we're living in... but with Lee/Gilman/Clark as training partners and the talent DeSanto has, who knows.  There's also a world where he's off the team by Christmas.  

Don't forget Lugo either, probable AA, potentially high AA.  

Also, the Iowa (Lee) / PSU (Teasdale) matchup is super intriguing.  Didn't Lee and Teasdale grow up and train together as BFF's?  

I need to add this in before the season starts. (based on nothing but observation)

I think Teasdale quits college wrestling, he may bounce around and come back but, feel a quit.

His talent is amazing, he's been a star for forever.... yadda yadda yadda.

Every interview, every match I see, his body language is "I hate this".

Don't know him personally, don't know his goals, or his off the mat comments, just when I see kids who love the battle, then I see him.... he just doesn't have that... spark.

#MyRidicPrediction

Made me quote myself, weird

was just saying

He will be a freshman, with expectations, his team will be winning and he likely wont. I see it being a problem.

You talking Teasdale and the regular season? He should win most of his matches there. 

Also, the Iowa (Lee) / PSU (Teasdale) matchup is super intriguing.  Didn't Lee and Teasdale grow up and train together as BFF's?  

I think from a personal stand point it interesting, but from a match up POV I don't see Gavin (or anyone other than Fix) seriously challenging Lee.

You talking Teasdale and the regular season? He should win most of his matches there. 

Yeah,

the weight has lost some depth, but

I just think he is going to struggle.

Is it the popular belief he will start off near the top? Im in a group that makes small bets, on crap  and if this is the overall view I might go over there and fish around an even money "Teasedale wont AA" bet for 100

Think I would get takers?