Sign in to follow this  
Gantry

PSU Lineup official details

Well played.

I forgot Iowa added Desanto, going to go check out their lineup to see what else I am forgetting

Iowa has the potential more so due to where their fringe guys with strong capability fall.  Starting the season, you have to call PSU the prohibitive favorite, but come mid-January, it could be a close race

Iowa

125: Lee-(25+pts)PSU has won on the strength of big bonus guys and Lee fits that to a T.  If one more guy steps up, they can challenge with the rest hitting the lower to middle part of the podium.

133: DeSanto-(6-15 pts)  If he makes any marked improvement, he will finish 3rd-8th and could knock off a Micic or Gross if they are a little off.

141: Murin-(?)-One of their 2 real question marks.  Had a win over a R12er as a TF.  Still, Iowa needs a Nick Lee type performance here to truly challenge.

149: Lugo-(4-22)-If you look at it closely, this guy's range is about as wide as anyone in DI.  He has yet to AA, but 149 is wide open and he pinnned Kolodzik last year.

157: Young-(?)-Here is their 2nd question mark.  The Iowa guy's are all high on him, but he is a NCAA Q, 0-2, until he proves otherwise.

165: Marinelli-(12-20)  If health and any improvement shows, he will challenge for wrestling on Saturday night.

174: Kemerer-(12-20)  I just don't see him beating Z., but he can beat anyone else at the weight(I would still favor Hall).

184: Wilcke-(4-12)  2X R12er while wrestling up a weight.  I think he wins one or 2 more matches at his proper weight.

197: Warner-(4-20)  His starting range is near Lugo's, but I truly expect him to show he is top 5 quickly.  I was bullish on Marinelli all last year and am even more so on Jake.

285: Stoll-(8-24)  He has huge FALL potential and, depending on Dhesi and Steveson, should start out as the #1 ranked Heavy.

PSU has surefire, big scorers like Nolf and Nickal and also have near Finalist locks in Joseph and Hall.  Lee is the only 1 that fits that bill for Iowa.  Kemerer is about as TOP 4 as it gets.  Bull is almost the same.  But, again, luck of the draw puts Lugo and Stoll at the right weight at the right time.

If I had to say, I would have Iowa falling just short this year.  But, I think PSU's matches on Saturday night will end up mattering when deciding the Team Title.

Edited by MSU158

Iowa has the potential more so due to where their fringe guys with strong capability fall.  Starting the season, you have to call PSU the prohibitive favorite, but come mid-January, it could be a close race

Iowa

125: Lee-(25+pts)PSU has won on the strength of big bonus guys and Lee fits that to a T.  If one more guy steps up, they can challenge with the rest hitting the lower to middle part of the podium.......

Solid stuff there, very realistic.  I had forgotten about Warner having some expectations, and I am also pretty big on Murin's potential. I had remembered Lugo was there but I always discount him because he is just so unpredictable.

Iowa should have a ton of AA's just going to matter if they can get some finalist.

The I think Lee helps Desanto expand beyond "Just a firemans" which was my main argument against him last year, but that weight is just so tough.

Marinelli, same. Great wrestler but the weight is a gauntlet.

Young may be able to do some thangs, the weight isnt super deep so AA could be in his future,

with as many AA's as they're capable of, if a Stoll or Kemerer  sneak into the finals, it could be an interesting race

I need to add this in before the season starts. (based on nothing but observation)

I think Teasdale quits college wrestling, he may bounce around and come back but, feel a quit.

His talent is amazing, he's been a star for forever.... yadda yadda yadda.

Every interview, every match I see, his body language is "I hate this".

Don't know him personally, don't know his goals, or his off the mat comments, just when I see kids who love the battle, then I see him.... he just doesn't have that... spark.

#MyRidicPrediction

Suriano looks that way.

We can always come up with scenarios whereby PSU falls short, but realistically PSU is a prohibitive favorite.

They haven't been very dominant at Big Tens.

Do you think they can actually win the B1G this year?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah,

the weight has lost some depth, but

I just think he is going to struggle.

Is it the popular belief he will start off near the top? Im in a group that makes small bets, on crap and if this is the overall view I might go over there and fish around an even money "Teasedale wont AA" bet for 100

Think I would get takers?

I have no idea if you would get any takers. Lots of folks don't wager on the internet.

I have no idea which version of Gavin we'll see this year. The motivated version is a goer.

They have been dominate and will be next year...They will win the 2019 B1G Tournament and we'll wait for your next team...Iowa then Ohio State who is next?

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

They haven't been very dominant at Big Tens.

Do you think they can actually win the B1G this year?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Edited by CTMopar

Solid stuff there, very realistic.  I had forgotten about Warner having some expectations, and I am also pretty big on Murin's potential. I had remembered Lugo was there but I always discount him because he is just so unpredictable.

Iowa should have a ton of AA's just going to matter if they can get some finalist.

The I think Lee helps Desanto expand beyond "Just a firemans" which was my main argument against him last year, but that weight is just so tough.

Marinelli, same. Great wrestler but the weight is a gauntlet.

Young may be able to do some thangs, the weight isnt super deep so AA could be in his future,

with as many AA's as they're capable of, if a Stoll or Kemerer  sneak into the finals, it could be an interesting race

Realistic, lol, actually it's the opposite of realistic. It's MSU's annual this team can compete with Penn State if everything goes really, really right post. Thing is, not everything goes right, ever, and a lot of what he says falls in the category of wishful thinking. If Penn State stays healthy, Iowa won't be close. 

Here is Iowa's lineup with the guys highest placing to date:

Lee: Champ

DeSanto: RD of 12 (meltdown) 

Turk: RD of 16 (shot stoll)

Lugo: RD of 12

Young: DNQ (backup)

Marinelli: 6th (4 guys that placed higher return)

Kemerer: 3rd at 157 (moving up 2 weights)

Wilke: RD of 12

Warner: RS Freshman (6th Midlands)

Stoll: 5th (shot in the off season)

Now this is the reality, 5 guys that have never AAd, 1 RS Freshman that took 6th at Midlands, 1 former AA moving up 2 weight classes and 1 former AA that was shot. The realistic viewpoint is Iowa simple does not have enough fire power to hang with a healthy Penn State and they will need a few guys to make the podium for the first time just to place 2nd.  

Edited by Flying-Tiger

Realistic, lol, actually it's the opposite of realistic. It's MSU's annual this team can compete with Penn State if everything goes really, really right post. Thing is, everything never goes right and a lot of what he says falls in the category of wishful thinking. If Penn State stays healthy, Iowa won't be close.

Here is Iowa's lineup with the guys highest placing to date:

Lee: Champ

DeSanto: RD of 12 (meltdown)

Turk: RD of 16

Lugo: RD of 12

Young: Backup

Marinelli: 6th

Kemerer: 3rd at 157 (moving up 2 weights)

Wilke: RD of 12

Warner: 6th Midlands

Stoll: 4th (shot in the off season)

Now this is the reality, 6 guys that have never AAd, 1 former AA moving up 2 weight classes, 1 former AA that was shot and only 1 guy that has made the finals. The realistic viewpoint is Iowa simple does not have enough fire power to hang with a healthy Penn State and they will need a few guys to make the podium for the first time just to place 2nd.

True but 3 rd 12 being converted is a big jump

. It's MSU's annual this team can compete with Penn State if everything goes really, really right post. .

Lol..so true. Wouldn’t be the start of a new year without MSUs everything goes right predictions.

Wait till next year with Bo and Nolf graduating. The vultures will be out in full force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The worst part is Iowa/PSU don’t wrestle this year so we’ll have to wait till B1Gs to crush Iowa dreams.

Mark it down..RBY handles Desanto, Berge handles Lugo, Warner will be lucky to not get pinned in the first.

If they did make the dual happen, I’ll give Iowa a win with Lee. After that nothing

Edited by pish6969

Lol..so true. Wouldn’t be the start of a new year without MSUs everything goes right predictions.

Wait till next year with Bo and Nolf graduating. The vultures will be out in full force.

It's bad enough that I said Iowa would STILL lose.  But, I can't even give a logical explanation as to why they have the POTENTIAL to make it close?  You guys are hilarious.

"I am a PSU fan and anyone that says we won't win by 50 points is a lunatic!!!"

The worst part is Iowa/PSU don’t wrestle this year so we’ll have to wait till B1Gs to crush Iowa dreams.

Mark it down..RBY handles Desanto, Berge handles Lugo, Warner will be lucky to not get pinned in the first.

If they did make the dual happen, I’ll give Iowa a win with Lee. After that nothing

And I am the one that does "if everything goes right?"  LMFAO..............

And I am the one that does "if everything goes right?" LMFAO..............

What’s so funny. I don’t make stuff up give if everything goes right predictions every year.

PSU has won 7 of 8. There’s nothing subjective about that

You think Iowa only wins 1 match vs PSU?

You are that confident in RBY over DeSanto? Lee over Muron? Berge/Verk over Lugo? Rasheed over Wilcke? And Nevills over stoll?

Let’s run the numbers. For all of that to happen:

RBy over DeSanto: at best, 60%? I peg it at 30%, but for your sake I’ll say 60%

Lee over Muron: 75%

Berge/Verk over Lugo: 60%

Rasheed over Wilcke: 75%

Nevills over Stoll: 40%

That gives you an 8% chance of this happening

Now add in:

Nolf over Young: 98%

Cenzo over Marinelli: 75%

Hall over Kemerer: 85%

Nickal over Warner 85%

Now you are at 4%

Seems pretty unlikely Iowa only wins one match against PSU. Where would you adjust the percentages?

What’s so funny. I don’t make stuff up give if everything goes right predictions every year.

PSU has won 7 of 8. There’s nothing subjective about that

Make stuff up?  I literally explained each guys situation as to why they could finish above where they have in the past.

You, on the other hand, picked a guy with ZERO NCAA matches to beat a R12er(that was only not an AA due to a mental melt down). 

You then picked a RS Freshman with very limited NCAA wrestling experience, who also lost to Lugo in Freestyle, over a seasoned vet with a win over the highest returner at the weight.

Warner will be lucky not to get pinned in the 1st?  Bo does have great pinning capabilities, but his only win by FALL last year over a top 20 opponent was Martin in the Finals.

Nevills over Stoll?

With that said, I wouldn't have ANY issue with you saying all of that if it wasn't so IMMEDIATELY HYPOCRITICAL following your comments about my Iowa layout.  What makes it worse is I didn't even say it WOULD happen.  Just that it COULD.  You actually stated PSU WOULD win 9 out of 10.

Edited by MSU158

You think Iowa only wins 1 match vs PSU?

You are that confident in RBY over DeSanto? Lee over Muron? Berge/Verk over Lugo? Rasheed over Wilcke? And Nevills over stoll?

Let’s run the numbers. For all of that to happen:

RBy over DeSanto: at best, 60%? I peg it at 30%, but for your sake I’ll say 60%

Lee over Muron: 75%

Berge/Verk over Lugo: 60%

Rasheed over Wilcke: 75%

Nevills over Stoll: 40%

That gives you an 8% chance of this happening

Now add in:

Nolf over Young: 98%

Cenzo over Marinelli: 75%

Hall over Kemerer: 85%

Nickal over Warner 85%

Now you are at 4%

Seems pretty unlikely Iowa only wins one match against PSU. Where would you adjust the percentages?

The dual won’t happen so it don’t matter. That being said. Once B1Gs come. We can come back to this thread.

I’m not looking to get into % for each weight. Obviously injuries could derail everything and that goes for both teams.

But to play along. Even a healthy Stoll is an underdog to Nevills. He was 0-2 vs. a healthy Nevills. Nevills messes his shoulder up at NCAAs. We’ll be lucky to even see this matchup. But I’ll take Nevills or Cassar over a surgically repaired shot gunned Stoll every time.

The only tossups are DeSanto and Lugo and I’ll take PSU in both. They are tossups now since we haven’t seen RBY/Berge in lineups yet. I’ve seen all 4 wrestle plenty. That’s what I’m basing it off. RBY is a much better wrestler than DeSanto and Lugo/Berge have similar styles and Lugo is the lesser version

of course this is my opinion and I’ve been right much more than wrong over the years unlike some people posting here (hint MSU)

The fact that the PSU crowd continues to get viscerally offended when anyone presents a scenario in which some team might be able to beat them is stunning.

Who’s offended? I’m stating my case just like the others are staying theirs

Edited by pish6969

Make stuff up? I literally explained each guys situation as to why they could finish above where they have in the past.

You, on the other hand, picked a guy with ZERO NCAA matches to beat a R12er(that was only not an AA due to a mental melt down).

You then picked a RS Freshman with very limited NCAA wrestling experience, who also lost to Lugo in Freestyle, over a seasoned vet with a win over the highest returner at the weight.

Warner will be lucky not to get pinned in the 1st? Bo does have great pinning capabilities, but his only win by FALL last year over a top 20 opponent was Martin in the Finals.

Nevills over Stoll?

With that said, I wouldn't have ANY issue with you saying all of that if it wasn't so IMMEDIATELY HYPOCRITICAL following your comments about my Iowa layout. What makes it worse is I didn't even say it WOULD happen. Just that it COULD. You actually stated PSU WOULD win 9 out of 10.

I also picked true freshman 2 yrs ago to win NCAA before season started (Mark Hall). Last year I predicted Yianna before the season and Spencer Lee. If you know talent it’s not far fetched to pick it prior to season.

You undervalue talent and then jump on board way too late..should I remind you of your Zain prediction going into sophomore year? Your Okie State predictions 2 yrs in a row?

Bo’s pinned every Iowa guy in less than first period. What was Sammy Brooks ranked when Bo showed him the lights?

Whats to question about Nevills over Stoll? Was Nevills 2-0 against him going into NCAA’s? Will you concede Nevills was injured at NCAAs (rumors are he still not 100%). So Stolls one win out of 3 was against injured Nevills. Stoll just got shot, you really think he’ll be better this year?

Here’s one more for you to put in your memory bank..next year Aaron Brooks walks in and wins as true freshman.

Edited by pish6969

Heard Renteria and Murin have been in the room working on their sprawls and Krav Maga. Wouldn't expect to see Turk back in the lineup.

Stoll says Turk will probably take a shot at it

Edited by swoopdown

I also picked true freshman 2 yrs ago to win NCAA before season started (Mark Hall). Last year I predicted Yianna before the season and Spencer Lee. If you know talent it’s not far fetched to pick it prior to season.

You undervalue talent and then jump on board way too late..should I remind you of your Zain prediction going into sophomore year? Your Okie State predictions 2 yrs in a row?

Bo’s pinned every Iowa guy in less than first period. What was Sammy Brooks ranked when Bo showed him the lights?

Whats to question about Nevills over Stoll? Was Nevills 2-0 against him going into NCAA’s? Will you concede Nevills was injured at NCAAs (rumors are he still not 100%). So Stolls one win out of 3 was against injured Nevills. Stoll just got shot, you really think he’ll be better this year?

You have a tad bit of misremembering.  

OkState was a preseason favorite and I explained why.  Only 1 year did I actually predict OkState to win and even that was only because you guys were so relentless that I WANTED them to win more so than actually believing they would.  Sort of like my Klimara thing.  You guys pushed so hard that year that I decided to stick my feet in the sand on principle.

As far as Retherford goes, I agree.  I didn't see anything to lead me to believe he could jump up a weight and dominate the way he did.  Go back and look at his match scores at 141 and 149.  The guy made a monumental leap.

Picking Hall, Yianni and Lee wasn't some big leap.  Most of us had them firmly top 4 and Lee stepped it up 2 more notches once the brace came off.

Plus, it isn't rocket science to consistently pick your favorite team when they just so happen to be the clear best team of this decade.............

You have a tad bit of misremembering.

OkState was a preseason favorite and I explained why. Only 1 year did I actually predict OkState to win and even that was only because you guys were so relentless that I WANTED them to win more so than actually believing they would. Sort of like my Klimara thing. You guys pushed so hard that year that I decided to stick my feet in the sand on principle.

As far as Retherford goes, I agree. I didn't see anything to lead me to believe he could jump up a weight and dominate the way he did. Go back and look at his match scores at 141 and 149. The guy made a monumental leap.

Picking Hall, Yianni and Lee wasn't some big leap. Most of us had them firmly top 4 and Lee stepped it up 2 more notches once the brace came off.

Plus, it isn't rocket science to consistently pick your favorite team when they just so happen to be the clear best team of this decade.............

Not some big leap to pick them? I picked them to WIN not come top 4. You didn’t. You didn’t even want Spencer wrestling last year.

I pick based on reality and that reality just has been PSU. If a year comes that I see it differently I’ll say it.

At least you acknowledge you didn’t see anything from Zain. That’s the difference between you and I. I did see the talent.

Me picking winners and you picking losers is the running game for years

And by the way..just because you give detailed explanation of your choices doesn’t make the end result any different. You lost, you were wrong. Who cares of the explanation.

If Aaron Brooks doesn’t win next year, I’ll say I’m wrong. Very simple

Edited by pish6969