Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan89

Cael’s Kool-Aid is strong

How does he convince 4 blue-chip recruits (Beard, Nevills, Lee and Brooks) to defer enrollment in their own best interest?

My prediction is that Lee and Nevills never see the starting lineup at Penn State and that Beard is about 50/50 at best to be a 3 year starter.

Ask the kids. They would probably tell you.

Same reason most of the top wrestlers wanted to wrestle for Gable or Roderick. Everybody wants to wrestle for the best.

Yes, but they wrestled. They didn't willingly defer eligibility.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Defer enrollment, then a redshirt....

25 years old at NCAA'S as a senior?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This behavior is clearly a result of misplaced priorities. Those that take this path have put athletics above education. To each his own.

If Mark Hall would have redshirted his true freshman year, I'm pretty sure he would have been 21 at this past NCAA Tournament.

Even without redshirting I'm pretty sure he would of been 21 at this past NCAA. 

Defer enrollment, then a redshirt....

25 years old at NCAA'S as a senior?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Seems like a few of you are making the assumption that these guys will redshirt next year just so you criticize it. Most, if not all those guys will be in the starting lineup next year. The benefit to them is that they don't have college tuition to pay this year when there is less scholarship money available. PSU graduates a lot of guys this year and these deferred guys will get more money for their first year in college. Makes sense to everyone involved and is smart management of scholarships.  

btw paboom, your math is wrong 18+6= 24, and depending on when their birthday is, a few could still be 23 at graduation even with a deferment and a redshirt. 

Edited by Flying-Tiger

This behavior is clearly a result of misplaced priorities. Those that take this path have put athletics above education. To each his own.

They will still have the exact same 5 for 4 arrangement any other wrestler at any other school has, they are merely delaying their start date. It is like a kid taking a year off to travel before enrolling, something a ton of kids do.

First of all I would bet the majority of blue chip recruits put athletics before education...

Second, if they defer enrollment, complete General Education classes that transfer at a local community college this year, they probably save a lot of money (especially if they are out of state)...so maybe they put financial situation first?  

Compared to the non-athlete student that takes an average of 6 years to graduate these days.  

The bottom line is if they have a college degree by 25 they are doing just fine in life.

The way I see it, a lot people are often in school still at that age anyway (Like me) for a variety of reasons. So from an academic standpoint its kind of a wash, some kids benefit from the added years and maturity that come with them. But, you can also start to run into financial issues if you're not careful - this would obviously not be the case for the blue chip wrestling recruits who deferred their enrollment, so Im not sure that even matters in this situation. 

From a competitive athletic standpoint, I'm not sure that I have an opinion. Theoretically any school COULD do this, right? not saying they should, because I don't think that, but it is an option. 

IMO, coaches should probably start going to the NCAA if this stuff isn't kosher. Whispering among themselves, and to Flo but doing nothing about it will lead to...well... nothing. If the majority of coaches dont like it, and truly believe its not god for the student-athletes, then they should probably do something about it. But honestly if its not hurting the student-athletes in any way, or really negatively impacting the landscape of the sport then nothing is going to happen.

If the rules allow it, then schools will do it. Which is fair game. 

Even without redshirting I'm pretty sure he would of been 21 at this past NCAA. 

Seems like a few of you are making the assumption that these guys will redshirt next year just so you criticize it. Most, if not all those guys will be in the starting lineup next year. The benefit to them is that they don't have college tuition to pay this year when there is less scholarship money available. PSU graduates a lot of guys this year and these deferred guys will get more money for there first year in college. Makes sense to everyone involved and is smart management of scholarships.  

btw paboom, your math is wrong 18+6= 24, and depending on when their birthday is, a few could still be 23 at graduation even with a deferment and a redshirt. 

Most serious wrestlers are either 19 before they graduate or about to turn 19 after graduation.  Heck, I know of quite a few PA kids who will turn 20 before they set foot in a college classroom.

If they plan on not redshirting, why defer their enrollment then?

It's a mockery.  There are schools with wrestling programs that will not allow redshirts or defer enrollments.  There are schools that will allow defer enrollments but will not accept taking part time classes because it will start counting towards your 4.5 years to graduate.

iGranby, not sure other coaches would have a leg to stand on with the ncaa. No rule is being broken and not sure they could even craft a rule to stop this. What would they propose, that wrestlers be forced to enroll immediately after graduating? They don't do this for non athletes, so not sure that would be allowable for wrestlers.

They will still have the exact same 5 for 4 arrangement any other wrestler at any other school has, they are merely delaying their start date. It is like a kid taking a year off to travel before enrolling, something a ton of kids do.

is this how the whole prep school thing works in football ? 

they graduate HS then go to prep school, then to college? 

Totally agree with this. Many, many kids are very serious about their education but take a year between graduating college. Deferring enrollment does not automatically mean education is a lesser priority.

To original question of how he gets kids to buy in, so to speak, I wonder if his 11 NCAA championship rings and wall full of individual championships and all American honors bare any weight?

It wouldn't be my choice if I were in their shoes, but honestly who cares?  If they feel it's in their best interest to defer for a year, more power to them.  

At least for me... bumming around a college campus and not taking classes for a whole year probably would've been a recipe for disaster.