Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan89

Cael’s Kool-Aid is strong

It wouldn't be my choice if I were in their shoes, but honestly who cares? If they feel it's in their best interest to defer for a year, more power to them.

At least for me... bumming around a college campus and not taking classes for a whole year probably would've been a recipe for disaster.

The Dude Abides!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It may be a “manipulation” in some minds but it is not at all illeagal, immorral, nothing at all. And I would strongly argue any blanket statement that it does not consider the students interests.

This behavior is clearly a result of misplaced priorities. Those that take this path have put athletics above education. To each his own.

Or placing a cheaper/free education with a chance to excel athletically over paying more and getting less mat time in the process. They do have the option to go someplace else or attend on time and take what that mean financially and athletically. I agree it’s not ideal in terms of the normal process or even playing field, but it’s not breaking any academic or athletic rules. Edited by MadMardigain

It was commentary on CJC's post. To further clarify, according to CJC its only a joke and manipulation of the redshirt process when PSU does it. It's fine when anyone else does it.

I never said that. You're a whack job!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How does he convince 4 blue-chip recruits (Beard, Nevills, Lee and Brooks) to defer enrollment in their own best interest?

My prediction is that Lee and Nevills never see the starting lineup at Penn State and that Beard is about 50/50 at best to be a 3 year starter.

Does this benefit Penn State?   

It is like a kid taking a year off to travel before enrolling, something a ton of kids do.

Define ton please. You mean the top 1% who can afford to do it and then only 1 out of 10 actually do it? Pretty sure 99.9% of kids go to work, college, or the military after high school.

Edited by HokieHWT

The D1 compliance rule is such that the NCAA lays hands off completely the first year out. After that there are rules as to when/how the clock starts depending on if they compete in that year or enter a service (new rule specifically suspending the clock for military/missionary/foreign service before matriculation- old rule actually didn't allow for it in writing)

Define ton please. You mean the top 1% who can afford to do it and then only 1 out of 10 actually do it? Pretty sure 99.9% of kids go to work, college, or the military after high school.

I would assume this means a literal ton of students - 2000 pounds of students, or roughly 12 students in the entire country (a third of them wrestling for PSU).

Edited by Eagle26

I assume most programs want to secure a LOI. They can still go anywhere they want. Though I guess with recent transfer rules/practices, it’s not all that different. Nevills makes sense bc of the Kerkvliet sitauation and Brooks was OTC bound before he committed.

Why I am starting to be in favor of a D1 A and AA division. Let the 20 or so teams fight it out, the other 56 aren't even worth talking about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

How about Big Ten, plus Cornell, OSU, NC State, Virginia Tech, and Iowa State?

Edited by jchapman

About the deferred enrollment, I thought it was a practice specific to wrestling programs at public schools to get athletes in-state residency since so many wrestlers are on partial scholarship and, demographically, not usually from affluent backgrounds? Not that college tuition is affordable by anyone's standards these days...

Even your own link, Hwt, says between 30,000 and 40,000 students enter college after a gap year. Where the NCAA is concerned, how do you think 4 wrestlers at Penn State compare to 40,000 students nationwide? The rule should be written for the 40,000, or for the 4? 

Btw, any college could get 4 wrestlers to delay in exchange for a wrestling scholarship. VT could easily do this. Whether you can get 4 studs like Lee, Nevills, Beard and Brooks to do this is the real story. So what this is really about is PSU simply recruiting better, not breaking rules.