Sign in to follow this  
WrestlingFan89

Cael’s Kool-Aid is strong

About the deferred enrollment, I thought it was a practice specific to wrestling programs at public schools to get athletes in-state residency since so many wrestlers are on partial scholarship and, demographically, not usually from affluent backgrounds? Not that college tuition is affordable by anyone's standards these days...

This seems like a likely explanation, although isn’t Beard from PA (and went to private school)?

Even your own link, Hwt, says between 30,000 and 40,000 students enter college after a gap year. Where the NCAA is concerned, how do you think 4 wrestlers at Penn State compare to 40,000 students nationwide? The rule should be written for the 40,000, or for the 4? 

Btw, any college could get 4 wrestlers to delay in exchange for a wrestling scholarship. VT could easily do this. Whether you can get 4 studs like Lee, Nevills, Beard and Brooks to do this is the real story. So what this is really about is PSU simply recruiting better, not breaking rules. 

The NCAA needs to examine, review and indict.

How about Big Ten, plus Cornell, OSU, NC State, Virginia Tech, and Iowa State?

No, you can leave out Michigan State, Purdue, Indiana, Northwestern, and Maryland. They are pretty irrelevant anyway. Add Missouri, Lehigh, UNC, Arizona State and always allow a bubble team like South Dakota or Lock Haven in.

I think that pretty much wraps up about 92% of division 1.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Edited by paboom

iGranby, not sure other coaches would have a leg to stand on with the ncaa. No rule is being broken and not sure they could even craft a rule to stop this. What would they propose, that wrestlers be forced to enroll immediately after graduating? They don't do this for non athletes, so not sure that would be allowable for wrestlers.

Right. I'm not arguing for, or against anyone or any point per say here. Just trying to look at it realistically.  

Even if a rule were made to stop this...

1- People are crazy if they think it would stop PSU from winning

2- Schools would find something else to do that people wouldnt like. 

3- Same caliber of wrestler would still attend PSU, they'd just burn eligibility quicker. 

Ultimately a lot of people want parity. I do too, but I don't blame the best kids for wanting to go to the best School(s). I also cant blame those schools for getting creative with how they can get all of those kids in effectively when they all want to come. 

Right. I'm not arguing for, or against anyone or any point per say here. Just trying to look at it realistically.  

Even if a rule were made to stop this...

1- People are crazy if they think it would stop PSU from winning

2- Schools would find something else to do that people wouldnt like. 

3- Same caliber of wrestler would still attend PSU, they'd just burn eligibility quicker. 

Ultimately a lot of people want parity. I do too, but I don't blame the best kids for wanting to go to the best School(s). I also cant blame those schools for getting creative with how they can get all of those kids in effectively when they all want to come. 

Sounds like we agree, except that I don't care about parity. I did not care when Iowa was once the King, and I don't care now. I just want to see good wrestling. The fact that PSU is so strong now is just a bonus. 

Sounds like we agree, except that I don't care about parity. I did not care when Iowa was once the King, and I don't care now. I just want to see good wrestling. The fact that PSU is so strong now is just a bonus. 

Fair enough. I love watching these transcendent guys like Nolf, DT, Zain. I just wish they were sprinkled across the country in a way that made the team race more exciting every year. Like the constant story of tOSU v PSU last year. It was pretty fun, and I'd like that every year. 

Fair enough. I love watching these transcendent guys like Nolf, DT, Zain. I just wish they were sprinkled across the country in a way that made the team race more exciting every year. Like the constant story of tOSU v PSU last year. It was pretty fun, and I'd like that every year.

You will still get a good team race. We have had some of the closest team races ever in recent years.

If Mark Hall would have redshirted his true freshman year, I'm pretty sure he would have been 21 at this past NCAA Tournament.

What?  Are you saying that if a guy redshirts he doesn't age?  Mark Hall would be the same age at any NCAA tournament whether he redshirts or not.  You don't skip a year of aging if you redshirt.