Sign in to follow this  
MSU158

Looks like Michigan is finally "all in" on trying to become a perennial top 4 program:

I would disagree for two reasons: 1) his long list of accomplishments as an athlete and coach will be included with the name. 2) kids today have much much more access to the history of the sport than generations past. They know the history better. And for a kid who does not, it’s real easy for them to look him up.

Edited by Lurker

He was a great wrestler but that name isn't gonna pull HS recruits.

Perhaps the ability to pull HS recruits to secondary to coaching freestyle to their current and postgrad wrestlers. I’d think elite HS freestylers will know his name. I saw somewhere McHenry commented on it.

While there is some truth to this statement, it’s not all true. He alone isn’t gonna get blue chippers lining up at the door. But when Bormet and crew start putting the sales pitch in on recruits, you better believe they are gonna say “so you want to win world and Olympic medals do you? We’ll have I got a training opportunity for you. If you come to Ann Arbor, you can train with one of the most legendary freestyle wrestlers in the world.....”

this works if guys like Pantaleo start beating guys like Nolf and if they start attracting big name post-grads to train there, 

In other words. is SB going to convince top notch guys to come train at UM?

Edited by steen-hooph

I would keep an eye on Micic. If he takes off and becomes otherworldly then I could see this being a big impact.

We’ll NCAA Runner-Up doesn’t given him much higher of a ceiling he can climb this season. And by the looks of it he’s in a pretty stacked deep weight this year so just getting back to the finals maybe a challenge. But if Micic stays at Mich to train and can make leaps over the next couple years in freestyle I’d say it’s a great addition.

We’ll NCAA Runner-Up doesn’t given him much higher of a ceiling he can climb this season. And by the looks of it he’s in a pretty stacked deep weight this year so just getting back to the finals maybe a challenge. But if Micic stays at Mich to train and can make leaps over the next couple years in freestyle I’d say it’s a great addition.

Exactly what I was pointing out; Perception is reality, especially in terms of recruiting. If Micic has a great season and wins it, that would be huge for Michigan. Future freestlyle success would only build the brand.

I wrestled in college and one of my coaches was a member of the Ukrainian world team.  He was actually one of the last guys to beat Tedeev in domestic competition.  I can say having a foreign coach with a thick accent and world/Olympic golds is a gigantic recruiting tool.  The recruits that are highly educated are going to know how much of an asset Belaglazov is, and the ones that dont will view him as some Russian guy who was one of the best of all time from a country that is the best of all time.

UM just did a major facilities upgrade just a few years ago, didn't they? Great to see the athletics department honor their legacy in wrestling and make a strong commitment to their program.

Pretty sure the new facility was paid for by a wealthy donor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have to agree that just the resume can pull kids in with freestyle ambitions. If not to the college team at first I can see top names not from the PSU,OSU,tOSU, and IA making their way there. Those name at the RTC could play a big role in future recruiting. HS kids may not know him, but they know Smith, JB, Snyder, Talor, AMD Dake and he trumps all of their success. He has as many world level golds as Snyder and JB combined. It doesn't take much to see that when you read th bio. So I think in the immediate short term it may not be a big draw, but it definitely could in the next 2-3 years.

In all seriousness I could see Ramos making the move. It is a lightweight coach that can coach at the level of his rival competitors coaches. I.e. PSU, IA, tOSU. Molinaro would. Make since too and maybe even Gomez.