pennsyrules

The real "Warriors"!

I believe there is overuse of the word "warriors" when it comes to athletes.  I appreciate the effort of athletes as much as anyone but I have issues with the word "warriors" in describing a top athlete.  The purpose of this post is not to debate the "warrior" term as much as point out who I feel are real "warriors".

I will name several and anyone else who can add to it, please do.  While I am mentioning military achievements, I think their are others who deserve the name "warriors" who might not be in the military.

1.  The Commander of the 2nd Fleet of the US Navy was just named in light of recent aggression from Russia.  Vice Admiral Andrew Lewis was a Top Gun Pilot in the Navy and state runner-up in California in HS and wrestled for Navy in the early Mid 80's.  Just a great guy but a bad ass dude.

2.  Vice Admiral Tim Szymanski is the commander of the Navy Seals in Coronado and was a previous Seal Team leader.  Also a world class judo competitor, Tim also competed in HS in Delaware and was on the Naval Academy Wrestling Team with Lewis.

3.  The "Lion of Fallujah" Doug Zembiec was recently given some credit in the "blog" written about our current world team.  Probably no one more of a "warrior" then he was.  Also a Navy wrestler and wrestled in New Mexico.

4.  Senator McCain was also a wrestler.

5.  Colin Kilrain was Seal team leader and one of the highest ranked SEAL's before his retirement.  A Lehigh Grad who obviously was a stud on the mat.

Please add anyone that you truly feel belongs in this group.

My dad. Drafted at age 25, left his job as a high school history teacher for a tour in Vietnam. Arrived two weeks before the Tet offensive. Came home and taught another thirty years. His slideshow of personal photos from the war was the highlight of US History II every year.

Edited by jchapman

Hes probably the Ultimate Warrior.  I did always appreciate the WCAP guys when I was in Colorado Springs.  Especially Tim Bleau and Steve Forrest.  Very tough guys.

ultimate_warrior.png

Edited by olddirty

I served for more than two decades in the Marine Corps.

I always tell people that being around Marines was a lot of fun, but being around Marines who’d been wrestlers was really fun! Even in that high-testosterone environment, the wrestlers stood out because of their grit and willingness to scrap.

I never met Doug Zembiec, but have been told that he was hard as nails and that his Marines would literally follow him anywhere.

I never met Doug Zembiec, but have been told that he was hard as nails and that his Marines would literally follow him anywhere.

Marines that figuratively follow you anywhere aren't much help. (I kid; I kid).

I believe there is overuse of the word "warriors" when it comes to athletes.  I appreciate the effort of athletes as much as anyone but I have issues with the word "warriors" in describing a top athlete.  The purpose of this post is not to debate the "warrior" term as much as point out who I feel are real "warriors".

I will name several and anyone else who can add to it, please do.  While I am mentioning military achievements, I think their are others who deserve the name "warriors" who might not be in the military.

1.  The Commander of the 2nd Fleet of the US Navy was just named in light of recent aggression from Russia.  Vice Admiral Andrew Lewis was a Top Gun Pilot in the Navy and state runner-up in California in HS and wrestled for Navy in the early Mid 80's.  Just a great guy but a bad ass dude.

2.  Vice Admiral Tim Szymanski is the commander of the Navy Seals in Coronado and was a previous Seal Team leader.  Also a world class judo competitor, Tim also competed in HS in Delaware and was on the Naval Academy Wrestling Team with Lewis.

3.  The "Lion of Fallujah" Doug Zembiec was recently given some credit in the "blog" written about our current world team.  Probably no one more of a "warrior" then he was.  Also a Navy wrestler and wrestled in New Mexico.

4.  Senator McCain was also a wrestler.

5.  Colin Kilrain was Seal team leader and one of the highest ranked SEAL's before his retirement.  A Lehigh Grad who obviously was a stud on the mat.

Please add anyone that you truly feel belongs in this group.

On a more recent note:  Phillip Simpson (United States Military Academy) 2005 NCAA D1 2nd Place at 149lb

I have been told that Simpson was responsible for the personal safety along with other duties of retired General David Petraeus during the war in Iraq

I like to joke around as much as anyone, but there are posts on here goofing on the  word 'warriors' mixed in with posts about men who have served and in some cases died serving this nation. Given tomorrow's date, perhaps the focus should be on those who have helped protect our freedoms and less on the comic relief.