Sign in to follow this  
Witherman

Kerkvliet to tOSU

Can’t say I’m surprised, but the rumors about him spending a lot of time with Cael had people thinking he was leaning that direction.

Given his freestyle aspirations, working with Kyle and Tervel and the rest of Ohio State’s upper weights, not to mention any international wrestlers that might spend time training at the Ohio RTC throughout the year, is a great situation.

Curious to see how this shakes out with the lineup. Kerkvliet could theoretically redshirt next year as well as the following year, assuming he can qualify for an Olympic redshirt, right? That would leave only 1 year of overlap between he and Singletary. Alternatively, you could just see Singletary wrestle this season and then look for a new home right away.

Huge news

Ohio State will have a down year or two (by that I mean unlikely to win a title) but with Kerklevit, they will again be title contenders.

I’m a Singletary fan, but he isnt the clavier of Kerklevit. He prob has two years to man the spot though at least. With an Olympic red shirt for Kerk, Singletary might even start for 3 years.

Ohio State will have a down year or two (by that I mean unlikely to win a title) but with Kerklevit, they will again be title contenders.

They were going to be contenders, they will still be contenders. One guy can't win a team title by himself, just ask Kyle Snyder.

It was a thread that someone announced HUGE news that he was going to Penn State  - Insider information. Was it Guillermo? 

Many people (including myself) had tOSU due to one thing - Snyder. What do you know...

Huge news

I’m a Singletary fan, but he isnt the clavier of Kerklevit. He prob has two years to man the spot though at least. With an Olympic red shirt for Kerk, Singletary might even start for 3 years.

I doubt Olympic Redshirts will be a thing anymore. Snyder showed us the model.

I don’t know, Singletary is pretty good too. Kind of the same issue he was running into in Minnesota. Thought it would be Nebraska. Glad he is not a Nittany Lion.

Nowhere near the level of Kerkvliet.

Yeah PSU heavies have done so well...

In fairness, Nick Nevills is the first blue chipper at Hwt for Sanderson and he has been often injured. 

To put it lightly - good pick up for the Bucks. 

Gotta say, the salt of some PSU fans amazes me. The people replying to Christian Pyles tweets were a good laugh, and a few comments I've seen on boards remind me of arguing with my 10 year old cousin. 

All of this being said, schools will still be coming after him. Just how the game works now. Hope Ryan and co. can hold on to him. Thinking they will. 

Edited by iGranby

Nowhere near the level of Kerkvliet.

Agree, Kerkvliet is definitely a level above.  If he's open to a redshirt, that gives Singletary at least 2 years to man the starting spot at heavy for Ohio State. If he ends up wanting to start right away, I imagine he beats out Singletary fairly easily, but we're still talking about a redshirt sophomore vs. true freshman so perhaps that plays a role... don't expect it to, though.  

The rich get richer.

May I offer some cheese with that whine?  :-)

Iowa has had amazing recruits this past year or two

OKie St has had the same

NC State has had the same

Michigan has had the same

VTech has had the same

If you classify the rich as the Top 10-20 teams getting richer, I'd suggest sure... but, Fresno State is new, and they've gotten solid recruits?  

I would argue that places like tOSU, PSU, and Iowa WILL continue to get the recruits that make them seem unbeatable... but.. they also have OTC's, and a cast of training partners that are unmatchable.  Other schools should follow the model, as it WILL dilute this phenomenon.  If they don't... they won't.

May I offer some cheese with that whine?  :-)

Iowa has had amazing recruits this past year or two

OKie St has had the same

NC State has had the same

Michigan has had the same

VTech has had the same

If you classify the rich as the Top 10-20 teams getting richer, I'd suggest sure... but, Fresno State is new, and they've gotten solid recruits?  

I would argue that places like tOSU, PSU, and Iowa WILL continue to get the recruits that make them seem unbeatable... but.. they also have OTC's, and a cast of training partners that are unmatchable.  Other schools should follow the model, as it WILL dilute this phenomenon.  If they don't... they won't.

Actually, Iowa's last amazing recruit was 3 recruiting classes ago.......Lee and Warner were 2017.  2018 was Cass and Brands(neither top 10) and 2019 is Assad and Glazier(neither top 20).  Which is why I argued that Lee's not shirting and winning a championship didn't boost recruiting like many on here said..........................

Edited:Assad is actually 18th.

Edited by MSU158

Actually, Iowa's last amazing recruit was 3 recruiting classes ago.......Lee and Warner were 2017.  2018 was Cass and Brands(neither top 10) and 2019 is Assad and Glazier(neither top 20).  Which is why I argued that Lee's not shirting and winning a championship didn't boost recruiting like many on here said..........................

Impossible to make a conclusive statement either way at the moment.  Who will they get in 2020? What's the situation now if they had come in 5th last year rather than 3rd? Is there more heat on Brands? Does DeSanto still transfer? 

IMO it was important for them to get Lee out on the mat sooner rather than later, provided he was ready (which he obviously was).  

Impossible to make a conclusive statement either way at the moment.  Who will they get in 2020? What's the situation now if they had come in 5th last year rather than 3rd? Is there more heat on Brands? Does DeSanto still transfer? 

IMO it was important for them to get Lee out on the mat sooner rather than later, provided he was ready (which he obviously was).  

Would they not benefit as much in 2020 by Lee winning his first this season?  I have a hard time imagining 3rd instead of 5th makes much difference at Iowa considering they are the epitome of if you aren't 1st you are last.  I think DeSanto ends up there anyway.  However, even if not, they still end up with Renteria.  

With all that said, I am not looking to re-hash the argument.  He won an NCAA Championship so I have no issue with him having wrestled.  My point was that I see no noticeable gain in recruiting from his wrestling in 2018.............

Actually, Iowa's last amazing recruit was 3 recruiting classes ago.......Lee and Warner were 2017. 2018 was Cass and Brands(neither top 10) and 2019 is Assad and Glazier(neither top 20). Which is why I argued that Lee's not shirting and winning a championship didn't boost recruiting like many on here said..........................

Lee absolutely had an impact on Desanto, who is at worst equiavalent to a #10 recruit. He likely had something to do with Renteria as well.