Sign in to follow this  
Witherman

Kerkvliet to tOSU

To put it lightly - good pick up for the Bucks.

Gotta say, the salt of some PSU fans amazes me. The people replying to Christian Pyles tweets were a good laugh, and a few comments I've seen on boards remind me of arguing with my 10 year old cousin.

All of this being said, schools will still be coming after him. Just how the game works now. Hope Ryan and co. can hold on to him. Thinking they will.

What were they tweeting? I feel most PSU fans thought of Kerk as a luxury not a necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind he has now "verbaled" to three different universities in the past year or so.  Minnesota, OSU now tOSU.  I know he has grown quite a bit but not sure this one will stick either.  He's very good and I'm bummed he couldn't make 197 at Minnesota and understand why he has gone a couple other places but with this many verbals don't count your chickens before they hatch.

Yeah its not gonna be a popular comment, and I don't know the kid, but running around verballing to everyone isn't a sign of great character....and character counts. 

tOSU rose on the tide of three people who all seem to have impeccable character....I think the team is going to suffer from their absence, even if they are still around training. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

There are currently three collegiate wrestling capitals in America:  State College, Iowa City and Columbus.  The competition among these three for top recruits is ridiculous.  If the Bucks land Kharchla, they will be a year away from having the deepest roster in college wrestling and be in a position to win several team titles.  Or so I think....

What were they tweeting? I feel most PSU fans thought of Kerk as a luxury not a necessity.

For the most part just brushing him off as "not a big deal", "we didnt push to get him" "Doesnt matter, penn state"

Typical stuff. I agree, for PSU he wasn't a necessity.  

There are currently three collegiate wrestling capitals in America: State College, Iowa City and Columbus. The competition among these three for top recruits is ridiculous. If the Bucks land Kharchla, they will be a year away from having the deepest roster in college wrestling and be in a position to win several team titles. Or so I think....

Karchla is coming on strong, but he is much better in free than folk.

I hope he is able to be amazing in folk too. He is an exciting, technical wrestler on his feet. Solid set ups. His style is a bit different than most Americans at his age.

Yeah its not gonna be a popular comment, and I don't know the kid, but running around verballing to everyone isn't a sign of great character....and character counts. 

tOSU rose on the tide of three people who all seem to have impeccable character....I think the team is going to suffer from their absence, even if they are still around training. 

How many schools has he given verbal commitment to?

Im beating a dead horse, but this is a lame argument when you're talking about teenagers. 

All of them are still there though. None of them wrestled much for the team, especially senior year. Kyle wrestled like 10 matches a year, half of them at NCAAs. I don’t think it will make much of a differenxe in terms of leadership.

Kerklevit is known for his character. It seems bad that he made 3 commitments, but let’s look at the situation

Minnesota - thought he would be a 97 and maybe a hvwt. Then Gable, the best heavyweight since Mocco (and maybe ever) committed. That was after Kerk did. Most of the time people would just move weights, but Kerk grew and is too big to be a 97, possible even for a year. Minnesota honestly may have preferred that he decommit. He would be a full scholarship that rode the bench.

OSU - he shouldn’t have committed here. That was his error. I don’t know the story, but we wouldn’t be talking about it if the Minnesota situation hasn’t occurred. One decommit isn’t a big deal.

TOSU - best upper weight room in the country. While I did believe the PSU rumors because Cael and Co are just that good at recruiting and PSU is the best overall team in the country, tOSU just makes sense. He gets to train with Myles Martin, Chase Singletary, and Kollin Moore every day, plus all of their training partners. Even without Tervel and Kyle, that’s solid. Add them in? Arguable the best upperweight coach we have right now plus the best upperweight wrestler we have had in American history besides Baumgartner? It is clearly the right choice

It took him awhile to get there, but It is the perfect situation for him. On all accounts, he is a good student, a good person and an incredibly hard worker. I’m not worried about his level of commitment. I’d be more surprised by him leaving tOSU than almost any other top level recruit decommiting. It just doesn’t make any sense at this point.

For the most part just brushing him off as "not a big deal", "we didnt push to get him" "Doesnt matter, penn state"

Typical stuff. I agree, for PSU he wasn't a necessity.

Truth is no one knew if PSU pursued him or not. Seems the kid driving his own train.

A lot of the PSU stuff came from Pyles and the Flo hype machine. They don’t have any inside info on PSU as shown time after time

Truth is no one knew if PSU pursued him or not. Seems the kid driving his own train.

A lot of the PSU stuff came from Pyles and the Flo hype machine. They don’t have any inside info on PSU as shown time after time

Yeah, I gotcha.

Flo often says they dont have any inside info at/from PSU. No one does, they have it locked down. This was kind of a common sense thing, imo. 

I believe PSU probably guns for all the top recruits for the most part. Seeing as how they get them most of the time. Why wouldnt they at least try? 

Do I think they were "gunning" for him, and that he was a PSU lock that tOSU snatched away? Nah, probably not, but I'm sure they wanted him. 

Edited by iGranby

Would they not benefit as much in 2020 by Lee winning his first this season?  I have a hard time imagining 3rd instead of 5th makes much difference at Iowa considering they are the epitome of if you aren't 1st you are last.  I think DeSanto ends up there anyway.  However, even if not, they still end up with Renteria.  

With all that said, I am not looking to re-hash the argument.  He won an NCAA Championship so I have no issue with him having wrestled.  My point was that I see no noticeable gain in recruiting from his wrestling in 2018.............

All fair points.  It's difficult to quantify the impact.  

All of them are still there though. None of them wrestled much for the team, especially senior year. Kyle wrestled like 10 matches a year, half of them at NCAAs. I don’t think it will make much of a differenxe in terms of leadership.

Kerklevit is known for his character. It seems bad that he made 3 commitments, but let’s look at the situation

Minnesota - thought he would be a 97 and maybe a hvwt. Then Gable, the best heavyweight since Mocco (and maybe ever) committed. That was after Kerk did. Most of the time people would just move weights, but Kerk grew and is too big to be a 97, possible even for a year. Minnesota honestly may have preferred that he decommit. He would be a full scholarship that rode the bench.

OSU - he shouldn’t have committed here. That was his error. I don’t know the story, but we wouldn’t be talking about it if the Minnesota situation hasn’t occurred. One decommit isn’t a big deal.

TOSU - best upper weight room in the country. While I did believe the PSU rumors because Cael and Co are just that good at recruiting and PSU is the best overall team in the country, tOSU just makes sense. He gets to train with Myles Martin, Chase Singletary, and Kollin Moore every day, plus all of their training partners. Even without Tervel and Kyle, that’s solid. Add them in? Arguable the best upperweight coach we have right now plus the best upperweight wrestler we have had in American history besides Baumgartner? It is clearly the right choice

It took him awhile to get there, but It is the perfect situation for him. On all accounts, he is a good student, a good person and an incredibly hard worker. I’m not worried about his level of commitment. I’d be more surprised by him leaving tOSU than almost any other top level recruit decommiting. It just doesn’t make any sense at this point.

I'm not dogging the kid, but I do have to say that someone on here touting his character is totally meaningless. Every single talented kid has throngs of sycophants willing to brag on what great kids they are, makes me sick actually. 

I'm not dogging the kid, but I do have to say that someone on here touting his character is totally meaningless. Every single talented kid has throngs of sycophants willing to brag on what great kids they are, makes me sick actually.

I hear you. You don’t know me, so my endorsement doesn’t mean much.

What about the point of the post though? Doesn’t it make sense than he decommited from Minnesota?

Yeah you are right.

Honestly its a fair assumption that he's a good person, because a disproportionate amount of super high achieving wrestlers (and athletes in general but particularly wrestlers) are. 

When i self reflect I have to point out that I think its fun to bash tOSU, so my motivation in pointing these things out is not very good.

other than Pyles saying he thought Kerk would go to psu (which is totally plausible) in what way was Flo a hype machine in this?

rhetorical question. no need to answer. 

The idea that teenagers shouldn't be expected to keep their word is toxic and illogical. 

I never said that, and you never answered my question. 

I said "this is a lame argument when you're talking about teenagers" - Which it is.

Should kids be taught to keep their word? Yes, absolutely. Is a kid flipping their commitment indicative of them being a "bad" character? No, lol. Ask Coach Sanderson about Teasdale's character. 

To expect every kid between the ages of 14-19 to behave and act with the character of grown men is toxic and illogical. 

Agree, Kerkvliet is definitely a level above.  If he's open to a redshirt, that gives Singletary at least 2 years to man the starting spot at heavy for Ohio State. If he ends up wanting to start right away, I imagine he beats out Singletary fairly easily, but we're still talking about a redshirt sophomore vs. true freshman so perhaps that plays a role... don't expect it to, though.

And Kerkvliet has not been held back so he is pretty young. Even if he RS, he would only be 19 yoa as a freshman.

other than Pyles saying he thought Kerk would go to psu (which is totally plausible) in what way was Flo a hype machine in this?

rhetorical question. no need to answer.

Because even on today’s show I don’t remember if it was Nomad or Pyles basically saying they think PSU will still keep pushing for Kerk until signing day.

Is there any sources that PSU was even on Kerk in the first place? How do your or Flo know if PSU is perfectly content with S Nevills?

In other words you guys are the leading wrestling outlet. Your main guys keep saying PSU all over Kerk. Basically dismissing Nevills as an afterthought.

Just stinks that opinions get thrown around as facts. I understand that’s your jobs but I don’t have to like it.

Think about it from Seth Nevills point of view. He has to hear for the past month that PSU is recruiting over him and will keep grinding until signing day. What if none of this is true? What if PSU never approached Kerk? What if it was Kerk that approached PSU? Obviously Ryan approached Kerk. But all along the narrative was PSU, PSU. Is there ANY sources behind this? If so, maybe share them or at least say you heard from reliable sources

Edited by pish6969

i

I never said that, and you never answered my question. 

I said "this is a lame argument when you're talking about teenagers" - Which it is.

Should kids be taught to keep their word? Yes, absolutely. Is a kid flipping their commitment indicative of them being a "bad" character? No, lol. Ask Coach Sanderson about Teasdale's character. 

To expect every kid between the ages of 14-19 to behave and act with the character of grown men is toxic and illogical. 

you are arguing against yourself within the same post. 

Because even on today’s show I don’t remember if it was Nomad or Pyles basically saying they think PSU will still keep pushing for Kerk until signing day.

Is there any sources that PSU was even on Kerk in the first place? How do your or Flo know if PSU is perfectly content with S Nevills?

In other words you guys are the leading wrestling outlet. Your main guys keep saying PSU all over Kerk. Basically dismissing Nevills as an afterthought.

Just stinks that opinions get thrown around as facts. I understand that’s your jobs but I don’t have to like it.

Think about it from Seth Nevills point of view. He has to hear for the past month that PSU is recruiting over him and will keep grinding until signing day. What if none of this is true? What if PSU never approached Kerk? What if it was Kerk that approached PSU? Obviously Ryan approached Kerk. But all along the narrative was PSU, PSU. Is there ANY sources behind this? If so, maybe share them or at least say you heard from reliable sources

PSU was interested in Kerkvliet. idk what else to tell you.