Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
d-

Whitehill to Clarion

Recommended Posts

Clarion University Head Coach Keith Ferraro just received a verbal committment from Junior Colby Whitehill !

 


 

Whitehill is a hwt from Brookville HS who went 40-8 last season and took 8th place at PIAA's in AA.


 

Just this summer ('18) he was a Cadet double AA in Fargo for the second year in a row, finishing in 2018 as a runner up in both Freestyle and Greco Roman.


 

As a member of Team PA at the Cadet National Duals, Whitehill went 7-0 to help Team PA dominate the tournament.

(Whitehill also went 7-0 in the Cadet GR National Duals)


 

Look for him at Super 32 next month.

Edited by d-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2018 at 9:04 AM, d- said:
Clarion University Head Coach Keith Ferraro just received a verbal committment from Junior Colby Whitehill !

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Whitehill is a hwt from Brookville HS who went 40-8 last season and took 8th place at PIAA's in AA.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Just this summer ('18) he was a Cadet double AA in Fargo for the second year in a row, finishing in 2018 as a runner up in both Freestyle and Greco Roman.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As a member of Team PA at the Cadet National Duals, Whitehill went 7-0 to help Team PA dominate the tournament.

 

 

(Whitehill also went 7-0 in the Cadet GR National Duals)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Look for him at Super 32 next month.

 

Great Addition to Clarion!! this kid is a beast! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another one. Adam Tirapelle of Clovis has had some thought-provoking and funny tweets lately about the new trend of kids letting everybody know what schools they're considering and visiting, putting tweets out with flames, emojis, etc. and everything too show the world (who mostly dont give a ****) what's happening with their recruitment and then of course eventually switching after telling some coach they would come there. You can call me old-school or old, I'm really not old, but I cant imagine how, for lack of a better word, disgusted I would feel if my kid did something like that or tried to. No my kids not perfect or anything like that but when he told me that he was going to wrestle at such-and-such school before I could even say anything he said I've told them I've coming and it doesn't matter what happens now. I gave them my "word".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2019 at 1:00 AM, ConnorsDad said:

And another one. Adam Tirapelle of Clovis has had some thought-provoking and funny tweets lately about the new trend of kids letting everybody know what schools they're considering and visiting, putting tweets out with flames, emojis, etc. and everything too show the world (who mostly dont give a ****) what's happening with their recruitment and then of course eventually switching after telling some coach they would come there. You can call me old-school or old, I'm really not old, but I cant imagine how, for lack of a better word, disgusted I would feel if my kid did something like that or tried to. No my kids not perfect or anything like that but when he told me that he was going to wrestle at such-and-such school before I could even say anything he said I've told them I've coming and it doesn't matter what happens now. I gave them my "word".

I get this take and I used to have the same idea but the more I have been involved in recruiting the more convinced I am that it isn't good. There are way too many factors that none of us are privy to that change things.

I'm a big proponent of waiting as long as possible to make a commitment to help make absolutely sure but they aren't always given that chance. Sometimes a coach says accept my offer or it won't be there tomorrow and they make a snap decision. A coach that you wanted to wrestle for leaves. You decide you don't want to be a business major, but a engineering major instead, so you find a better school. Sometimes a coach tells you they aren't recruiting anyone else at your weight and next thing you know they get a kid that is ranked top-10 and your scholarship money is gone, along with your spot.

Most of these kid's decisions are emotionally based and they don't understand the recruiting and college selection process. I've found the kids that have a better grasp on the process tend to stick with their commits more often.

I don't get why we expect kids to change their minds with everything else in life, except one of the biggest decisions of their life.

Some of us change our minds 10x before deciding what clothes to wear or food to eat, why is it required of a 17/18 year old to not be able to change his mind about his entire future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PinFallRecruit said:

I get this take and I used to have the same idea but the more I have been involved in recruiting the more convinced I am that it isn't good. There are way too many factors that none of us are privy to that change things.

I'm a big proponent of waiting as long as possible to make a commitment to help make absolutely sure but they aren't always given that chance. Sometimes a coach says accept my offer or it won't be there tomorrow and they make a snap decision. A coach that you wanted to wrestle for leaves. You decide you don't want to be a business major, but a engineering major instead, so you find a better school. Sometimes a coach tells you they aren't recruiting anyone else at your weight and next thing you know they get a kid that is ranked top-10 and your scholarship money is gone, along with your spot.

Most of these kid's decisions are emotionally based and they don't understand the recruiting and college selection process. I've found the kids that have a better grasp on the process tend to stick with their commits more often.

I don't get why we expect kids to change their minds with everything else in life, except one of the biggest decisions of their life.

Some of us change our minds 10x before deciding what clothes to wear or food to eat, why is it required of a 17/18 year old to not be able to change his mind about his entire future?

I appreciate your adult post and not ranting and raving that I'm some lunatic. You make some very good points and you're right it's not all on them. I guess the first problem is we as parents need to raise kids that if you give somebody your word you're honor it. If the college coach reneges then that's on him but at least you have been a man of your word or woman. And I get that we change our minds about certain things but we don't give our word that we're going to wear a certain article of clothing as opposed to where we attend school. I realize it's not as cut-and-dried as I make it out to be. And part of my disdain is the fact of kids telling us where they're visiting, who their finalists are like we really care and now we've got people advising us that there entering the transfer portal. I agree it's not all gloom and doom like I thought but at the same time I still believe if we raise our kids correctly and give them the correct values once they make a choice they will stick to it. I guess part of it is also I don't care for the verbally committing idea! What the hell does that mean? Either you're going or you're not. Adam Tirapelle from Clovis High School has had some excellent tweets recently about it. Once again I appreciate the reply and you guys have a great website. I appreciate everything you did for my kid & keep up the great work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

I appreciate your adult post and not ranting and raving that I'm some lunatic. You make some very good points and you're right it's not all on them. I guess the first problem is we as parents need to raise kids that if you give somebody your word you're honor it. If the college coach reneges then that's on him but at least you have been a man of your word or woman. And I get that we change our minds about certain things but we don't give our word that we're going to wear a certain article of clothing as opposed to where we attend school. I realize it's not as cut-and-dried as I make it out to be. And part of my disdain is the fact of kids telling us where they're visiting, who their finalists are like we really care and now we've got people advising us that there entering the transfer portal. I agree it's not all gloom and doom like I thought but at the same time I still believe if we raise our kids correctly and give them the correct values once they make a choice they will stick to it. I guess part of it is also I don't care for the verbally committing idea! What the hell does that mean? Either you're going or you're not. Adam Tirapelle from Clovis High School has had some excellent tweets recently about it. Once again I appreciate the reply and you guys have a great website. I appreciate everything you did for my kid & keep up the great work.

Appreciate the kind words.

I love reading Tirapelle's stuff. He is one of the few that I actually pay attention to on twitter. I think that the adults don't care much for the verbals and various announcements, but the kids love it, their friends love it, the coaches love it (even the college ones), etc. There is quite an appetite for it. I'm sure if there was an outlet for it way back when, I'm sure it would be just as popular as it is now.

These kids have worked for a long time, they have been told that getting into college is a big thing, getting scholarship is an even bigger thing. They want to tell people. They want to be excited about it. Some kids do go over board, I think, but that happens with just about anything.

I do agree that when you give someone your word, you should keep it, but I understand why it doesn't in these situations and it doesn't bother me too much, depending on the reason. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

Appreciate the kind words.

I love reading Tirapelle's stuff. He is one of the few that I actually pay attention to on twitter. I think that the adults don't care much for the verbals and various announcements, but the kids love it, their friends love it, the coaches love it (even the college ones), etc. There is quite an appetite for it. I'm sure if there was an outlet for it way back when, I'm sure it would be just as popular as it is now.

These kids have worked for a long time, they have been told that getting into college is a big thing, getting scholarship is an even bigger thing. They want to tell people. They want to be excited about it. Some kids do go over board, I think, but that happens with just about anything.

I do agree that when you give someone your word, you should keep it, but I understand why it doesn't in these situations and it doesn't bother me too much, depending on the reason. 

 

 

Excellent response and you're right they're excited and I get that and their friends want to know it and all and we told them that it is a big deal so I completely understand. I guess I still put it down do we as parents need to do a better job about reminding them that you don't necessarily have to toot your own horn all the time. I also want to say my son read this post and when I talked to him last night he wanted me to tell you guys that he apologizes for never getting back with you. When he signed his letter-of-intent you guys sent us a message about wanting to do an interview with him and he just spaced it out and he wanted to make sure you knew that he didn't think he was too big for it he just forgot like most teenagers. Thanks again and keep up the great work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

Excellent response and you're right they're excited and I get that and their friends want to know it and all and we told them that it is a big deal so I completely understand. I guess I still put it down do we as parents need to do a better job about reminding them that you don't necessarily have to toot your own horn all the time. I also want to say my son read this post and when I talked to him last night he wanted me to tell you guys that he apologizes for never getting back with you. When he signed his letter-of-intent you guys sent us a message about wanting to do an interview with him and he just spaced it out and he wanted to make sure you knew that he didn't think he was too big for it he just forgot like most teenagers. Thanks again and keep up the great work.

Haha. That was the first thing I thought of too! Absolutely no worries though. It happens. Crazy busy as it is, and then you add all the fallout from committing and whatnot. He seems like a great kid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...