Sign in to follow this  
hammerlockthree

JO nagging Retherford

I can barely understand what JO writes sometimes. What the heck was that recent post Flo highlighted on instagram? I can see Zain writing back ... ‘What?’

People are so damn sensitive. It’s not like he was talking ****. He’s trying to get a hyped up exhibition match (against the guy many feel is the top at 65 right now) at a hyped up exhibition event. Isn’t they the kind of thing we want as wrestling folk? I don’t see what issue anyone could have here.

I haven't seen the post, but... I can tell you what I don't want for the sport of wrestling:

* I don't want WWE or MMA type antics.  I MUCH prefer the gracious, reverent and disciplined approaches that the rest of the martial arts world typically ascribes to.

* I don't want wrestling to be characterized by words and social media exploitation... I MUCH prefer wrestling to be characterized by supreme dominance on the mat

* I don't want the concept of "marketing" to "ruin" the sport by sensationalizing every aspect that our "stars" do or don't do, say or don't say.  I MUCH prefer marketing to elevate the sport, increasing awareness, societal acceptance, and the next generation of participants.

Now... get off my lawn.

People are so damn sensitive. It’s not like he was talking ****. He’s trying to get a hyped up exhibition match (against the guy many feel is the top at 65 right now) at a hyped up exhibition event. Isn’t they the kind of thing we want as wrestling folk? I don’t see what issue anyone could have here.

I love that he is hyping it up. I don’t have to agree with his position to support his decision to build some hype.

I hope we see more of this. Hopefully in the future JO challenges someone who can wrestle right now though. Maybe Molinaro? That would be cool.

Downey should do the same.

I hope Nolf starts too. He has the wrestling style to back up his call oats. Imagine if Nolf called out James Green and then techs him! He’d immediately have an increase in fans and haters. The narrative would be amazing. Doubt he does though.

Here is one of Oliver's posts (below).   Does he need (a) less MMA on the brain  (b) a grammar lesson © a check on his ego (d) his meds (e) a good whooping on the mat, or (f) all of the above?

Edited by dmm53

I love that he is hyping it up. I don’t have to agree with his position to support his decision to build some hype.

I hope we see more of this. Hopefully in the future JO challenges someone who can wrestle right now though. Maybe Molinaro? That would be cool.

Downey should do the same.

I hope Nolf starts too. He has the wrestling style to back up his call oats. Imagine if Nolf called out James Green and then techs him! He’d immediately have an increase in fans and haters. The narrative would be amazing. Doubt he does though.

That is NOT in Jason Nolf's personality.

I guess I get it, he's trying to promote the match he wants. Fair enough. 

The match sells itself though to most fans without much spectacle. Given both of their accolades and the drama that surrounds their most recent meetings. 

This kind of thing is good for the casual fan, though. As well as the younger crowd.  

Nomad made a good point on twitter yesterday, Burroughs promoted his match(es) with Chamizo a lot. I wouldnt condemn Oliver for trying to promote a match he wants, but I can see why some wouldnt like the fashion in which he's doing so. 

I'm not offended in the slightest by wrestlers trying to promote an exhibition match and build some hype.  I am offended, however, by how idiotic JO's trash talk is.  If you're gonna do it, at least do it well.  

On a serious note, assuming Zain is healthy and ready to compete (seems like he might not be?), who does an exhibition matchup benefit more?  Oliver won their last meeting but it's been a long time, and will be a long time until the next qualification cycle.  

I'm not offended in the slightest by wrestlers trying to promote an exhibition match and build some hype.  I am offended, however, by how idiotic JO's trash talk is.  If you're gonna do it, at least do it well.  

On a serious note, assuming Zain is healthy and ready to compete (seems like he might not be?), who does an exhibition matchup benefit more?  Oliver won their last meeting but it's been a long time, and will be a long time until the next qualification cycle.  

I doubt this would ever happen - but it would be an interesting twist if matches like this proposed one could count towards seeding. Kind of opens a whole can of worms, though. 

Not for or against it - just a thought. 

I think more matches benefit Zain.