Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Junior Worlds 2018

Schultz lost 2-1

That Armenian guy was probably not eligible for U20s though. He was seriously balding (not mocking him, but it is super rare at that age)

Anyways...

I don’t know much about Greco so this might be a dumb comment, but in both semis when USA was on top for par terre, we went for a head pinch from the front. Both times the opponent effortlessly stood up. Shouldn’t we be at least trying to tire them out from that position? Doesn’t the headpinch from there require huge pressure from top? Seems like either we are really bad at it or it is not the right move to go for when you have a free par terre attempt

Schultz lost 2-1

That Armenian guy was probably not eligible for U20s though. He was seriously balding (not mocking him, but it is super rare at that age)

Anyways...

I don’t know much about Greco so this might be a dumb comment, but in both semis when USA was on top for par terre, we went for a head pinch from the front. Both times the opponent effortlessly stood up. Shouldn’t we be at least trying to tire them out from that position? Doesn’t the headpinch from there require huge pressure from top? Seems like either we are really bad at it or it is not the right move to go for when you have a free par terre attempt

I'm ethnic Armenian but, yes, that nation has some issues with magical birth certificates.

Edited by Coach_J

Well I am bummed that Kamal and Cohlton, both fell short in the Semi's. Hopefully both can win a Bronze medal. Hopefully Alston Nutter can also make the most of he chance of entering repechage, and also earn a Bronze.

Anyway looking forward to tonight, and hopefully all our other Greco guys do the best the can possibly do. Go Team USA.

Just going through some of the matches. There's been so many enjoyable and action packed Greco matches here at Jr Worlds. IMO, when they let it fly in Greco, the matches are awesome. A few quick comments:

1. Don't know if either wrestler is banged up or if weight issues will hit them tomorrow but both 55kg finalists are on a tear. Should be a wild final. Armenia puts up all kinds of points with a variety of aggressive attacks and Iran is very solid and is a scoring machine on top.

2. Kamal is an absolute joy to watch. Perhaps he has a chance to really help put Greco on the map in the USA? Just loved his matches that he won today. Greco at its best IMO. (And not a real big deal, but wasn't crazy about Kamal's fake handshake to the Russian at the end of the match.) Another thing with the Russian, and maybe I'm inaccurate here via computer but thought he looked huge compared to Kamal, almost like a weight class above. But it's probably just different body types and builds. They both stepped on the same scale. Hopefully Kamal can learn from this loss and jump up another level.

3. Nice run for Schultz. Kid looks great. Ok, little armchair quarterbacking here and I'm sure Colton already knows this but wish the front headlock/head pinch was a little tighter and more urgent on top in par terre against Armenia. Dude got out way too easy. Watching so many other wrestlers just determined to score, and do score from top par terre. Disappointed USA isn't stronger here. 

Anyway, good luck tomorrow!  (Now back to the videos.)  

Edited by 2td3nf

Last years Fargo greco champ and one of our Nevada kids.

He has looked solid today. Keeps positIon well and understands strategy.

Not the right forum, but I’m excited to see how he does this year in college. He performed ok during his red shirt year, with losses to mostly good guys (Kaleb Romero, Womack, And one or two others). He didn’t have any great wins though. Seems like someone who might start next season and has the potential to jump levels.

It's amazing how wide the chasm still is for the American Greco team/system, and the rest of the world.  The direct analog is the Freestyle team, and how they have progressed the past decade (regardless of age group).  Maybe it's because FS is much more closely related to folk?  Regardless, I'm hoping that the success of the FS teams begin to rub off a bit more, and our regional OTC's take it more and more serious (aside from just a handful of clubs).

Good luck to the crew!  Make us proud boys!

Edited by treep2000

He has looked solid today. Keeps positIon well and understands strategy.

Not the right forum, but I’m excited to see how he does this year in college. He performed ok during his red shirt year, with losses to mostly good guys (Kaleb Romero, Womack, And one or two others). He didn’t have any great wins though. Seems like someone who might start next season and has the potential to jump levels.

Womack is listed now as a junior, implying that he still has two seasons of eligibility (he got a medical waiver?).  Unless Berreyesa can beat Womack, or move up and beat Dean, he'd have to drop to 165 and wait for Chavez to graduate in order to start next season.  I'm betting Womack returns to his AA level of his "freshman" year for the next two years.

Berreyesa is in the finals! Wins 2-2 and will face Russia. As far as his folkstyle career, here is my view. In high school here in Nevada, he was a 4 time finalist and 2 time champ. He also placed in several national tournaments, Folkstyle Nationals and Flo Nationals, and made all American 7 times at Fargo (3 free & 4 greco inc. 1st, 2nd & 3rd). Had victories over Jessen, Warner, etc. in his career and all of this while playing football as well. Now concentrating on wrestling at Cornell I have no doubt he will have an outstanding college career. Lost by 1 to Romero last year who was a four time Ohio State champion.

Bey just looked out-classed in both of his losses. Couldn't get to any offense on the feet or in par terre, and his par terre defense looked pretty poor. I know he's the next big thing in USA Greco, but his performances at this Jr Worlds, last years U23 and recent Senior tournaments seem pretty inconsistent. 

Haven't watched GR in a while but had a chance to follow most of this so far. My big takeaway is how stupid the slip throw rule is. I see so many instances of an athlete getting into a bad position where he's about to give up a push out or take down so they just go for a move, for example an arm spin, that they know is never going to land just to have the official reset the match in the centre and save them from giving up a legit point. It really needs to go. 

Hats off to all of our wrestlers going out there and putting it all on the line. Additionally, congrats to Cohlton Schultz, and Andrew Berreyesa. Hopefully Andrew can go out there tomorrow and win the title.

I know two medals is probably not as many as we had hoped for, but all we can do is try and learn from this strive to move forward and improve.

Our ladies start tonight and hopefully they can all have great tourneys. Go Team USA.

Hats off to all of our wrestlers going out there and putting it all on the line. Additionally, congrats to Cohlton Schultz, and Andrew Berreyesa. Hopefully Andrew can go out there tomorrow and win the title.

I know two medals is probably not as many as we had hoped for, but all we can do is try and learn from this strive to move forward and improve.

Our ladies start tonight and hopefully they can all have great tourneys. Go Team USA.

Seems like the consensus, at least in this thread, was 3 medals would’ve been successful. We were super close. Bey had a terrible draw and underperformed. LaMont also had a shot but had his worst junior worlds. He has wrestled for a medal every other time.

All in all not terrible. Excited to watch berreyesa tomorrow plus our women