Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Junior Worlds 2018

What a match by both guys. Sucks that we lost it, but Brooks absolutely went for it. No shame in that.

Super close match that Brooks can learn from. Once or twice Japan kept wrestling thru positions most guys quit on, and it made the difference. I'd watch those two go at it all day long. That was fun!

Edited by TBar1977

Impressed by Moldova and India.  Who is coaching Moldova?

Year so it seems like mold Ava has made huge strides. From cadettes to seniors. And I always thought India was a sleeping giant. When you got a billion people and you probably don't eat as much trash as most countries probably also have an advantage in the conditioning Department

Well, I am glad that we are winning some medals, and that we put three guys into the finals, but these aren't the result(s), I was expecting. And I am not just talking about our Men's Freestyle Team either. Anyway, back to our Men's Freestyle, I knew some of our number ones weren't able to compete, so I am very happy to see Elam come out here and come home with a Silver medal.

Anyway, coming up on our final day of competition, hopefully we can get two more Bronze medals and a Champion.

Edited by de4856

Looking at the Women's Freestyle results, that ladies from Japan once again had another dominating performance. So I was wondering if we do much cross training with them, does anyone have any idea?

Edited by de4856

Looking at the Women's Freestyle results, that ladies from Japan once again had another dominating performance. So I was wondering if we do much cross training with them, does anyone have any idea?

I was wondering that myself. As more and more countries make headways into wrestling and women's wrestling becomes more and more popular, the Japanese are dominating even more than they did 10 years ago. If they were a men's team the amount of publicity they get at least on this message board would be 10 times what it is now. Taking what another poster started, giving them 10 points for a pin, I looked at all of Japan's matches from the recently-completed junior worlds. In 39 matches they scored 356 points while surrendering 35. They went 35-4. 6 gold medals, a silver and three bronze. Even the upper weights which are their weakest area still saw them get a gold and three bronze in the top four classes. Their 6 gold medalist avg. scores were 10-0, 10-0, 9-0, 8-0, 11-1 & 12-1. Even the non-gold medalists had avg. scores of 9-1, 8-2, 7-2 & 8-2. All of this against the best in the worlds. Ungoddamnbelievable!

That really is unbelievable-those numbers! Looks like they were embarrassed last year by our win at worlds and are taking no names this year. We will see in Budapest! Man I wish I could go. Best venue for worlds over anywhere I have been! 

Issue is at the origin point of the stream, which is here in the venue, not at Track's office, FYI.

Irrelevant. Trackwrestling is the entity that took our money with the promise of providing these matches live. They are the appropriate outlet for this complaint. Either be in position to insure you will be able to deliver or don't make such a promise.

There is much more to this discussion, but I know you're working hard over there in Slovakia, so maybe another time. We should circle back actually, as I think consistently failed streams is a significant barrier to growth of the sport domestically.

FWIW Kerkvliet tech falled / shut out Elam 3x this year, once in the US Open finals and 2x in WTT finals. I just rewatched the match and I'd say he won as breezily as the Russian did. I wonder how Kerk would have done. That Russian looked ridiculous.

If you watched the matches between Kerk and Elam, it's almost all takedowns too and I believe all first period techs.  Like he took him down about a dozen times in about six minutes, no exaggeration (as opposed to getting to getting him in a trapped arm gut and turning him like four times really quick).  Kerk losing at Cadets was a much bigger surprise to me than Fix or Gable.... makes zero sense that you can basically toy with a junior world finalist but lose to a Cadet, especially in this weight range where the difference between a 17 year old and 20 year old should be huge. 

Irrelevant. Trackwrestling is the entity that took our money with the promise of providing these matches live. They are the appropriate outlet for this complaint. Either be in position to insure you will be able to deliver or don't make such a promise.

There is much more to this discussion, but I know you're working hard over there in Slovakia, so maybe another time. We should circle back actually, as I think consistently failed streams is a significant barrier to growth of the sport domestically.

So if the scorekeeper hired by the Slovakian federation kicks the plug on the mat in the venue, that's trackwrestling's fault? I'm all for making sure the appropriate factions get proper feedback, good, bad or indifferent, but when a plug gets kicked ... it's not like anyone other than the folks at the origin point can fix it. It impacted my audio, so I was over there trying to help get it back up. My audio dropped considerably afterwards, so I was also investigating the problem.

In this case, I'm telling you exactly what happened and the stream vendor for the U.S. couldn't possibly have controlled that. It was quickly rectified and fired back up. When there are streams provided and sent out by other vendors, it's really only as good as the stream that's being sent (and this goes for ESPN3, Flo, any other live sports stream). 

In one of the few streams I had fail when I worked at USAW, the power went out in the facility. So with that example, would that be USA Wrestling's fault? 

Like I said, there is a larger discussion at play here. Your specific examples do little to refute the claim that wrestling streams are to inconsistent to take full advantage of their ability to grow the fanbase.

Back to the issue at hand, it's a matter of business. Is it tracks fault a plug got kicked loose? Maybe the price point can be adjusted to have technical quality control on the ground in slovakia. Regardless, track is holding our money for these matches. When a stream fails we should be refunded or better yet credited future events to keep eyes on wrestling.

As an aside, the stream has been great for me. I saw a nice opportunity to start a discussion about how investing in production value could have long term gains, for all interested parties including the provider.

After some thought, the junior worlds thread is not the place to carry the rest of this discussion out. Let's make a deal. When things slow down I will revisit this with a thoughtful post, and you will join in with your expert understanding of event production and media.