Sign in to follow this  
fanta

Pico announcing come back for 2024

18 minutes ago, ConnorsDad said:

There is nothing to hate. He was runner-up at the Oly trials. He has no shot to be our rep unless he starts wrestling only NOW and even then it is not a guarantee. I hope but I don't  believe.

don't forget that the guy that everyone is penciling in to be the guy, has never once beaten pico.

oh and also don't forget - they wrestled 6 times so its not really a fluke.

Wait.. why is this even a thread.  We're seriously discussing what/who is going to be our rep at 65kg, 6 YEARS from now?  

* Will 65kg even be a real weight class?

* Will the earth still exist?

* Will Trump still be President, or will it be Johnny Depp?

* Will the Martians finally reveal themselves and begin feasting on our bodies?

6 years from now, Jordan Decatur will be the rep for this approximate weight class.  Ha!

11 hours ago, ConnorsDad said:

When,  five years ago? Not even remotely the same wrestlers, either of them!

True, maybe. I haven't seen a crazy development in Retherford's wrestling overall, he seems to have improved in the areas he was always good at but in my opinion he hasn't come up with anything to make me think he is going to be "the guy" in freestyle. I think he's pretty similar to Metcalf, primarily a folkstyle hammer with a limited freestyle arsenal. That said, Pico's move to MMA for the past couple years certainly hasn't helped him any as far as freestyle goes, so at the moment I would pick Zain but like everyone says, in 2024 who the hell knows.  My opinion, if he is even still at the weight by then, Yianni will be the man as long as his elbows / knees hold up. His abilities are unreal in freestyle / folkstyle /any style. 

1 hour ago, custom fitch said:

True, maybe. I haven't seen a crazy development in Retherford's wrestling overall, he seems to have improved in the areas he was always good at but in my opinion he hasn't come up with anything to make me think he is going to be "the guy" in freestyle. I think he's pretty similar to Metcalf, primarily a folkstyle hammer with a limited freestyle arsenal. That said, Pico's move to MMA for the past couple years certainly hasn't helped him any as far as freestyle goes, so at the moment I would pick Zain but like everyone says, in 2024 who the hell knows.  My opinion, if he is even still at the weight by then, Yianni will be the man as long as his elbows / knees hold up. His abilities are unreal in freestyle / folkstyle /any style. 

Fitch, I completely agree. Obviously Pico is not going to be anywhere near the same wrestler but I agree with your assessment of Zain 100%. I've always been a big fan of his but I was not impressed at all with the match against Oliver who I've never been a fan of. That being said if he never wins another match again he'll still be an outstanding collegiate wrestler but I agree with you 100% I think it's Yanni spot.

2020 @ 65kg... I think Yianni may have the inside track.  However, we still have 1.5 years until everything is "known", and there have been guys that rocket up the ladder with relative speed.  I think the top contenders will be:  Yianni, Logie, Mckenna, Eierman, Zain, & Oliver.  I don't think anyone else will "crack" that top 6.  If someone does crack it, it may be one of the youngun's... someone from this potential list:  Storr, Jordan Decatur, Josh Saunders, Robert Howard, Demas.  Note:  I REALLY like watching Demas.  Very entertaining, solid from nearly all positions, and can throw throw throw... he's going to be a dynamo.

2024 @ 65kg... Logie & Oliver are long-retired.  Zain & Mckenna will be nearing their end.  Yianni may still be the guy by then.  A brand new crop of talent, and probably some from that "potential list" will be striving for the spot. 

To think that Pico a.) still makes 65kg, and b.) can keep up, over the next 6 years... is a little silly.  If he does, then by golly, he will have proved everyone wrong (due to his pure physiological abilities), and would love to see it.  Until then... i seriously doubt it.