Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Lee v. DeSanto in the room

Spencer Lee doesn't look physically imposing but he must be a lot stronger than he looks. I've heard on forums Gilman is really strong for his size. Does anyone know strength wise how Lee compares to Gilman?

John Smith never looked imposing but his speed and leverage was impressive.

Trying to make it work so I can get to Iowa City for practice tomorrow at 10 AM.

If I make it I’ll post my thoughts (hopefully before I start having too much fun tailgating).

That would awesome! Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also, Ben Askren never looked imposing, and look how he rag dolled Herbert.

I like seeing the strong guys who don't look that strong. Askren, for one. Bo Nickal looks slightly less muscular than Gumby. Chris Barnes from OSU was never overly intimidating looking either, but man he was even skinnier in HS.

John Smith never looked imposing but his speed and leverage was impressive.

John Smith wasn't just quick.  He was also STRONG.  Back almost 20 years ago, I aked an an OSU upperweight if John Smith was strong or if he just knew how to use leverage, etc.  He  told me that "When coach Smith  puts his hand on you, it feels like a heavyweights hand."

John Smith wasn't just quick.  He was also STRONG.  Back almost 20 years ago, I aked an an OSU upperweight if John Smith was strong or if he just knew how to use leverage, etc.  He  told me that "When coach Smith  puts his hand on you, it feels like a heavyweights hand."

I heard that he's very strong too.   Doesn't look it of course.   

Also i know someone (a current college wrestler) who is friends with desanto.   Desanto told him that Lee told him he knows he can beat Gilman.   

I agree that Gilman's comment doesn't mean Lee beats him in a match. I think it means he scores points on him in the room, but I'm sure Gilman gets his share too... not sure who would get the most at this point though. I think it would be a humbling experience for a senior world medalist to be taken down by a college freshman even once. So we dont really know who gets the better of who from that comment. 

I think you need to watch that video again for context.  The look in his eyes of amazement, and just the way he calls him "Spencer Freaking Lee" isn't how you react to a guy you're beating in close matches. Gilman doesn't seem like the type that impresses easily.  Looks more to me like he can't believe this freshman is tougher than the guys he facing on the world stage. 

If we just look at common opponents- a post knee brace Spencer Lee was considerably more dominant against Tomasello and Suriano than Gilman ever was. 

Was able to get to practice for an hour. Lee was on the opposite side of the room with Safarov I believe just drilling. Desanto and Murin were going live and were about even. Desanto looks smaller than Max for sure so I don’t think Desanto is a 141 yet like some have said and I don’t see him getting there. Not sure who Renteria was with but he was dominating. Clark and Gilman were doing a pull up workout and then spent about 5 minutes with Lee working on some underhook stuff.

That’s all I really have. Time to go tailgate.

Edited by wrestlingphish

There were about 250-300 people there. Bleachers were full and it was standing room only. Every HWC and Iowa practice is open to the public. Just call ahead and they will let you know what time practice is.

Tom was coming around to the fans and asking if everyone was having a good time and if there were any matchups someone wanted to see and someone yelled out “Lee vs Terry” and Tom said Terry would need a couple of years to warm up which was pretty funny.