Sign in to follow this  
Fletcher

Lee v. DeSanto in the room

There are posts on rivals saying murin and desanto have been rolling around quite a bit. Didnt see any comments on a lee/desanto practice match up. I imagine Lee spends most of his time with brands, gilman and clark though.

Well I understand that practices are open at Carver Hawkeye. It would be nice if someone could go there and watch the goings on, and give out some details.

But even so, I have to believe that all these guys are all wrestling each other. I mean if your DeSanto, wouldn't you want to roll with Clark, Gilman and Lee, every chance you could get? I mean all three of those guys are hammers, and the best way to get better is to grab hold of these guys and go for it.

In a match maybe, but I'm sure he tries to help him as he can in practice. Hopefully desanto is the type that can take a beating in the practice room without flipping out like he did vs micic. I'm really hoping tom and Terry help that kid fix his glaring issues.

Gilman has said that “If you want to be humbled. Grab Spencer Lee because that guy will humble you real quick.”

Is there a source for this? Also for people saying he beats Clark and Gilman, is that based on live observation in practice? Not saying these things aren't true, but we have a tendency towards hearsay in the wrestling community.

Is there a source for this? Also for people saying he beats Clark and Gilman, is that based on live observation in practice? Not saying these things aren't true, but we have a tendency towards hearsay in the wrestling community.

Guys who attended Iowa’s open practice last week said Spencer was beating Clark in the room and Clark was getting frustrated

I dont find it hard to believe at all that Lee beats Clark regularly. Also wouldnt find it hard to believe at all that he goes back and forth with Gilman, maybe he even wins more than he loses. 

Until I see him mop up Gilman I cant believe that it happens "regularly". Lee is on another planet than most of the D1 landscape, but Gilman is a senior level world runner-up, and consistently looks like a top 3 guy. Just my opinion though. 

Edited by iGranby

He's looked OK recently, but he's had a number of very close matches with unranked opponents, as well as taking I think 5 losses this year? Hard to lose that many matches and still be considered top 3.  

I gotcha - better way to put is probably that in my opinion he is a top 3 guy in the world. I can see why you'd say he doesn't look the part. 

Spencer Lee doesn't look physically imposing but he must be a lot stronger than he looks.  I've heard on forums Gilman is really strong for his size.  Does anyone know strength wise how Lee compares to Gilman? 

Edited by restlefan

Gilman is pretty jacked and definitely looks pretty imposing for a "little guy". I'm interested to see if Lee has put more muscle on his frame from last year. Not surprised to hear he is beating clark one bit. I dont think many scrambler type guys will end up scoring much vs lee.

I agree that Gilman's comment doesn't mean Lee beats him in a match. I think it means he scores points on him in the room, but I'm sure Gilman gets his share too... not sure who would get the most at this point though. I think it would be a humbling experience for a senior world medalist to be taken down by a college freshman even once. So we dont really know who gets the better of who from that comment. 

Also, to comment on the OP, I think from what we know about DeSanto, he does not take losing well. I am sure Desanto would want to wrestle Lee, but can imagine the coaches may have had to separate him from Lee because he probably loses his cool after getting beaten down.