Sign in to follow this  
nom

Darmstadt injury

See word that Darmstadt may be out for season. Big big bummer. Was hoping to see him and Nickal. Was curious to see if he is getting stronger too. Always fun to watch.

Best wishes that he fully recovers. Anyone know more info?

See word that Darmstadt may be out for season. Big big bummer. Was hoping to see him and Nickal. Was curious to see if he is getting stronger too. Always fun to watch.

Best wishes that he fully recovers. Anyone know more info?

Word is that he suffered an L5 fracture in the NCAA semi-finals, that wasn't diagnosed as such until much later (thought it was muscular instead of skeletal).

I can't attest to the validity of that "word."

Did he greyshirt already or was he a true freshman?

If he did greyshirt, how does he go about still getting his 4 years of eligibility at a 4.5 year institution? Take the spring semester off?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Did he greyshirt already or was he a true freshman?

If he did greyshirt, how does he go about still getting his 4 years of eligibility at a 4.5 year institution? Take the spring semester off?

What we call a "greyshirt" isn't something that the NCAA actually recognizes.  It is just taking a year off prior to starting college and has no effect on the athlete's clock as far as the NCAA is concerned. The Ivies have their own rules that are stricter than NCAA rules.  They typically do not allow an athlete to defer a year for athletic reasons and they do not allow an athlete who has completed their undergraduate degree to compete.  Athletes have found ways to work around these restrictions that often involve taking some time off (1st Semesters) for internships or travel etc.  I am sure that BD will figure it out and hopefully he heals up 100%.

What we call a "greyshirt" isn't something that the NCAA actually recognizes. It is just taking a year off prior to starting college and has no effect on the athlete's clock as far as the NCAA is concerned. The Ivies have their own rules that are stricter than NCAA rules. They typically do not allow an athlete to defer a year for athletic reasons and they do not allow an athlete who has completed their undergraduate degree to compete. Athletes have found ways to work around these restrictions that often involve taking some time off (1st Semesters) for internships or travel etc. I am sure that BD will figure it out and hopefully he heals up 100%.

You didn't say anything that I already didn't know.

He already burned one year of eligibility and has 3 years left at a school where is academic clock has already started ticking and has 3.5 years to get a diploma.

He misses a season, does he take the spring off? (Of course he could graduate and compete during grad school)

You didn't say anything that I already didn't know.

He already burned one year of eligibility and has 3 years left at a school where is academic clock has already started ticking and has 3.5 years to get a diploma.

He misses a season, does he take the spring off? (Of course he could graduate and compete during grad school)

All of the Ivies manage to get it done on a regular basis (meaning getting guys the extra year of competition)  Cornell is especially good at it.  Usually it involves withdrawing from school during one or more fall semesters. 

All of the Ivies manage to get it done on a regular basis (meaning getting guys the extra year of competition) Cornell is especially good at it. Usually it involves withdrawing from school during one or more fall semesters.

Are you sure that all Ivies do it? It seems like only Cornell does it to me. They appear to do it enough for everyone, so it all evens out!

Are you sure that all Ivies do it? It seems like only Cornell does it to me. They appear to do it enough for everyone, so it all evens out!

I think he was saying all the Ivies did their version of red-shirting rather than just by what we call grey-shirting. I imagine you could say most Ivies did some grey-shirting by kids going to a Prep school as a PG but most would do it by taking a semester off. Offhand, Cornell does more grey-shirting with kids training at the FLWC and possibly taking courses locally without matriculating. I'm less aware of Cornell doing the red-shirt (other than via injury) than some others.

I am not sure about this, but it seems to me that Lorenzo Thomas and maybe Frank Mattiace got something more than the strict four year Ivy clock. I am just going off the top of my head, not swearing that it’s correct.

15 hours ago, kreitzer said:

I am not sure about this, but it seems to me that Lorenzo Thomas and maybe Frank Mattiace got something more than the strict four year Ivy clock. I am just going off the top of my head, not swearing that it’s correct.

Both of those two used 5 years and you can add Casey Kent to the list for Penn - Matt Valenti also took a year off of wrestling between taking 5th at 125 as a sophomore (2004) and winning at 133 as a junior & senior (2006/07.  Penn has had many guys do this.  Harvard also has many guys who have used 5 years over the course of their careers - R Preston was one. It is not that unusual especially when an injury is involved.

9 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Both of those two used 5 years and you can add Casey Kent to the list for Penn - Matt Valenti also took a year off of wrestling between taking 5th at 125 as a sophomore (2004) and winning at 133 as a junior & senior (2006/07.  Penn has had many guys do this.  Harvard also has many guys who have used 5 years over the course of their careers - R Preston was one. It is not that unusual especially when an injury is involved.

Corey Jantzen for Harvard as well iirc

21 hours ago, gimpeltf said:

Kolodzik did that year and I think Glory this year.

I don't think Glory is greyshirting this year - He is on Princeton's roster - I expect he will start this year at 125 (possibly 133 if he has grown) - Travis Stefanik did grey shirt last year and is back with the team now - I believe he will be starting at 174.

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

I don't think Glory is greyshirting this year - He is on Princeton's roster - I expect he will start this year at 125 (possibly 133 if he has grown) - Travis Stefanik did grey shirt last year and is back with the team now - I believe he will be starting at 174.

If Glory isn’t grey shirting, he is starting. He is too valuable of a recruit for a program like Princeton for him to lose a year. 

I like the direction they are headed. They have a title contender at 149 and 2 other potential AAs this season, plus a few other qualifiers. 

NCAA eligibility doesn't start until he/she starts school full time.  So the "grayshirt" term is for an athlete who doesn't start full-time for a year after high school while he/she trains somewhere.  Basketball players do this at Academies or Prep Schools.  As for the Ivy League, there is technically no such thing as a redshirt, at least you cannot do it just because you don't want to compete that year.  However after 4 years, you can apply for an extra year of eligibility if you can prove you couldn't compete one year due to an injury.  I believe this is fairly easy to prove, but I don't know who actually makes a decision on this.  

The reason Ivy League athletes take a year off is because, unlike at other schools, a Graduate student cannot compete at an Ivy League school.  So if you normally would graduate in 8 semesters of classes, the only way you can compete your 5th year is if you take a year, or at least semester, off from school.