Sign in to follow this  
airmail

Schultz/Koll '95 World Team Trials Matches

I think Mark was stronger and not just because he was bigger. He was a Gymnast in High School before switching to wrestling after moving from California to Oregon. If you have ever seen him on the rings doing and Iron Cross you get an idea of raw strength. He could drop into it, fully extended and power straight up out of it on arm strength alone.

His grip had to help him in wrestling. Something that is often overlooked. We watch Dan Hodge crush apples, but he had double tendons in the arm. Mark does not. Watch some matches and see reactions when Mark latches on. Takes some wrestlers out of their game trying to get an arm free so Mark wins the hand fighting and goes to work on them.

Dave is both loved and missed on the International scene. His death was tragic and preventable.

Back in 1981, the World Cup was held in Toledo and there were sessions local chumps like me could attend and roll around with team members.  Talk about a thrill.  That year, Schultz was cutting to make 68 kilos and Metzger was cutting to 62; they weren't in good moods.  I was in a group with Metzger and three other locals and he was nursing a sore knee but wanted to go live to sweat off some pounds.  The one guy in our group made the mistake of attacking Andre's bad wheel.  Schultz was just sitting observing things and this pissed him off.  He jumped into the group and the next couple guys got choked out.  My momma didn't raise no fool; I waited until Dave got it out of his system before I rejoined the group!

On 9/21/2018 at 10:57 AM, airmail said:

These may have been on here and I missed em, but first time I've seen these matches.  Parts of both are almost hard to watch, very brutal.  Koll about passes out in match one at 3:25, and I've never seen such a painful leglace at the end.  

Then at 4:50 in the second, the keylock. 

At about 1:00 in the first video: is that DuPont in the sweat pants and singlet sitting down against the wall to watch the match?

On ‎9‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 7:46 AM, Fishhook said:

He beat Koll in the US Open finals, I think in '95 as well, with a move that was so brutal I can't even believe it still. He invented it with his brother and called it the Fisherman's Hook or something like that.  It was like a gator roll at first. Dave had Koll in the front headlock and went left then right then went straight over Kolls heals while taking the headlock with him. In order to do this move without paralyzing someone, you have to do just so IMO. Its in no wasy easy or obvious. I think he pinned Koll in like a minute with it.  Dave was wrestling the best he ever had that year and would have medaled that year and beyond. His wrestling mind was hitting a new gear.  I'm getting pissed at Dupont again even typing right now.  Dave, to me, is a wrestling god. 

I saw this match!  Loved Kolls reaction...