Sign in to follow this  
Brutus81

Altons (Spoiler)

I hate to restate the obvious, but... it is incredible to me that you can have guys like Taylor and Megaludis, probably two of the best-conditioned wrestlers in the country, and guys like the Altons, among the worst-conditioned, on the same team. Do they not go through the same practices? How it can be March and these bluest of blue-chippers are still not in top shape is beyond me. Their skills are as good as anyone's at their weight, with the possible exception of Jordan Oliver, who is a freak. You can say anything you want about their underperformance, but In the final analysis, they just can't hang for the whole match.

i picked demas to beat alton before the dual and figured it would lead ohio state to the dual win people said I was crazy but he gave hime a scare and almost stole the matchg I am not shocked

as far as the question of conditioning we already know the altons don't live as clean of a life as cael would like it could be they are more like the rutgers team than the rest of the penn staters

I agree with everything that's been said. If these guys aren't serious about their committment to the program, then they need to be replaced with guys who are.

I much prefer watching a Jordan Conaway, who may not have their ability, but who has bought into the program 110%, and is still kicking butt and taking names in the third period, than some lazy guy who thinks he can just get by on talent alone. Just don't want to watch that guy.

Bottom line, if you can't compete in the third, then you're just not competitive.

I would want to have an answer to the question :

What do they put into their bodies during those hours away from the room ? Maybe the answer to that could be a key to 'dying on the vine'. Although, I wonder how anything of that nature is getting past the professor ?

Food for thought.

penn state will continue to be one of the top teams but this just goes to show how hard it is to sustain success and how they will continue to be challenged

all the bandwagoners thought things could only get better but the program clicked and had basically peaked with everyone exceeding expectation and a program can't ask for more than what they had you can only hope to sustain that level acrossed the board which is nearly impossible

penn state will continue to be one of the top teams but this just goes to show how hard it is to sustain success and how they will continue to be challenged

all the bandwagoners thought things could only get better but the program clicked and had basically peaked with everyone exceeding expectation and a program can't ask for more than what they had you can only hope to sustain that level acrossed the board which is nearly impossible

What ?

When's the last pin for either of them. Definitely huge steps backwards and a bleak looking future in this sport.

Thank God we're not overreacting. SUeflohn has already beaten Alton this year, and Demas gave Alton all he wanted (and St. John for that matter). I know it's disappointing if you're a PSU fan, but lets call down with the doom proclamations.

What ?

You heard him..

What ?

I think BR thinks the tournament is over already, LOL. Hate to tell you this BR, but there are still 3 sessions left and PSU should go 8-2 or 9-1 tonight with quite a bit of bonus in relation to the other contenders.

I don't know why people continuously lump Dylan in with Andrew. Dylan has wrestled well this year. I give Demas credit. He wrestled a solid match and deserved the win.

Andrew still has some conditioning issues and Sueflohn is a bad matchup for him with that length. Much more of a concern here.

What ?

You heard him..

This is what I heard:

I'm down here for the tournament and was sitting right one row off of mat 4, where Alton lost to Suehflon. While initially stunned by it, I have to remind myself that this is the toughest conference in the country for this sport. I could see the complaints coming if Andrew lost to the 2-9 Preston Keiffer, but he lost to a higher seed. No shame there.

The same sentiment goes for Dylan. Demas is a returning national qualifier who lost to Alton 4-3 a month ago. Though Demas has had a rough second half of the season (started 10-0, then went 6-8 up to today), his sixth seed was deceiving.

I'm down here for the tournament and was sitting right one row off of mat 4, where Alton lost to Suehflon. While initially stunned by it, I have to remind myself that this is the toughest conference in the country for this sport. I could see the complaints coming if Andrew lost to the 2-9 Preston Keiffer, but he lost to a higher seed. No shame there.

The same sentiment goes for Dylan. Demas is a returning national qualifier who lost to Alton 4-3 a month ago. Though Demas has had a rough second half of the season (started 10-0, then went 6-8 up to today), his sixth seed was deceiving.

Downplay it as you must, but as a PSU fan, many of us had different expectations for these 2. They were 2 of PA's best in recent memory. With promising signs for Andrew from his freshman year, then the ability to sit back and learn as a RS, we expected big things. He used to pin kids left and right as a TRUE fresh, and I don't know if he has more than 2 this year? Furthermore, he's yet to beat top competition and doesn't have a fighters chance in the 3rd in a close match. It's a couple months in the happening, so it isn't promising that it can be turned around. Dylan has found himself in 1 pt and overtime matches all to often, and it's hard to get to the promise land in NCAA like that (Yes, I know Kellen Russell did it).

I Wouldve picked Sueflohn and Demas in both matches.

See how the A-bros finish the tournament before making a judgement I think.

As far as conditioning, that's on them. The whole team can go thru the same workouts and each individual chooses how hard to push themselves and what to get out of the workout.

rodney, step off the ledge buddy, it's not as bad as you make it out to be.

Bet you a LaBatt Blue that Andrew picks up a fall tonight.

I like both of them, trust me, I do. They were awesome to watch in H.S. NCAA is a whole different level, but I still expected them to transition nicely. With the talent they have, it's not unreasonable. I feel it is as bad as I say. In 3rd period close matches, AA currently has no chance really against above average to great competition.

I'm here too. Dylan just got beat by Demas, who looked much better. Demas could have easily had four takedowns and Dylan tried nothing. Andrew looks awful. Dziewa almost pushed him enough. All you have to do is push him and he'll die. He gasses in the second if he's pushed. I have no idea if he's pulling too much weight or doesn't live the lifestyle but he's atrocious in the third period.

When it comes down to it,

What real move does A Alton have to get a TD on a top 15 caliber guy??

Dylan Alton gets a pass from me.

3rd in NCAA last year and I wouldn't be counting him out.

PSU fans are learning what it is like to be an Iowa fan.