Sign in to follow this  
SuperSaiyanGoku

National Prep Wrestling...?? Blair,Wyoming,Malvern

On 2/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, Dr. Novak said:

So it's really the Eastern Prep championships otherwise relocate to St. Louis or Chicago and attract other schools.

NCAA may be finally starting to finally figure out what a bad idea it was to keep the D1 Tournament away from the East for all these years, and now you suggest moving the Prep tournament to a place where no school is within 500 miles.   ?????

1 hour ago, Dr. Novak said:

Couldn't care less really but there are hundreds of prep schools with wrestling that don't participate.  Hold it in your basement if you want.

That's probably correct. And most of them are still on the east coast. We get about 125 with kids that qualify. There are approximately 300 prep schools in the opc under Nat Preps.

state count(distinct orgname)  
CT 24
DC 9
GA 1
IL 1
MA 34
MD 41
ME 1
NC 25
NH 4
NJ 6
NY 13
OH 1
OK 1
PA 21
RI 3
SC 1
TN 2
TX 45
VA 38
WV 1

Obviously there are others from other states but most of them wrestle in their state association.  There are a number of eastern prep schools that also compete with the publics. In Florida, Lake Highland Prep competes with the Publics. They have made requests to compete with the Preps. In NJ Delbarton, St Peter's, CBA, Rutgers Prep, Pingry, Seton Hall, Don Bosco, St Augustine all compete with the publics. Probably most that compete Preps are live in and most that don't are day schools but not sure.
Again, we have virtually no request for schools from other states. Mainly the ones we have gotten of late are newer and seem athletically based.

Couldn't care less really but there are hundreds of prep schools with wrestling that don't participate.  Hold it in your basement if you want.

Do you exist just to be a pain in the ass on this forum? I mean, if you want to make a faux-relevant troll account, go to Twitter. Hammerlock doesn’t need any competition over here.

In PIAA(wrestling), I got a count of about 30 unbounded schools. (Sugar Valley[everyone's 2nd favorite hs because they don't have Basketball]  and Hope for Hyndman) are charter schools but essentially bounded, created because their larger school district tried to shut them down and give the kids 40 mile one-way bus rides)

The 30 include, about 4 open charter schools, about 20 ride a bus every day type catholic schools,  maybe a couple of catholic boarding schools, I believe 2 actual boarding prep schools, A school for troubled boys, and the Milton Hershey school. 

MHS was one of the strongest programs in Preps but immediately jumped to the PIAA first chance in 1973, as did most of the Catholic Schools outside of D12.

Prior to 1973 there was one Orphanage in the PIAA, the Scotland School for Veterans Orphans, but it had that status, I assume, because they were owned by the Commonwealth.

There are also dozens of private-Religious schools involved in Co-ops, both with Other Privates and Publics.

I was trying to count actual Prep schools rather than Parochial schools in the ones I mentioned specifically. It looks like Md, Va and Tx have what could be parochial rather than private schools but not sure. It looks like NE, NY, NJ are pretty much only privates. Generally a The or School (without High before it) indicate a private even if religious based.

I remember when Strobel came to Lehigh and we talked about Preps. He said there were hardly any on the left coast.

Interesting the comparison of religious and parochial schools.

https://www.niche.com/blog/catholic-school-vs-parochial-school/

Basically, a parochial school is affiliated with a particular physical church, not just a religion. So I expect many of the K-8 parochial schools, are truly parochial, that is they are affiliated with 1 particular parish church, although, today, I am sure they bring in kids from several parishes. But an actual Catholic HS is likely not Parochial.

I expect some of prep schools you consider non-religious actually have an official affiliated religion. Like I just noticed Lafayette is officially Presbyterian. 

I have run into the same problem in reverse. Who would guess that Trinity, D7; St Mary's, D9; and St Paris Graham, Ohio; are public schools. I expect if a church is not in the name, chapel is not mandatory.

Just occurred to me that in the movie, Deep Impact, would not the name of the "rescue" space ship, "Messiah" cause such dissent it could never get launched on time.

I have run into the same problem in reverse. Who would guess that Trinity, D7; St Mary's, D9; and St Paris Graham, Ohio; are public schools. I expect if a church is not in the name, chapel is not mandatory.
Just occurred to me that in the movie, Deep Impact, would not the name of the "rescue" space ship, "Messiah" cause such dissent it could never get launched on time.

Many just assume Graham is private ... it’s in St. Paris, Ohio. I always referred to them as Graham (Ohio) to try to steer the public to understand that. I know some places like to list the city first like “Clearwater Countryside” in Florida. If we had some reporting uniformity, it might impact the public perception of Graham specifically.

Pretty much all of the traditional prep schools are on the east coast. It must be a New England thing to ship your kids out of the house in 9th grade. There are some urban prep schools as well that are meant to keep the kids of the rich away from a subpar public school system.  I guess in most other places they just accomplish this through school districts, so prep schools aren't really needed... this isn't an option in some cities though.  People are also confusing catholic schools and public schools named after saints with prep schools...There is a huge difference (thousands of dollars in tuition-many of these prep schools are now charging 50K and up).  

Edited by Billyhoyle

I guess another two categories, Boarding and non boarding. A lot of the medium sized cities in Pennsylvania have a Country Day School. Typically graduating classes of not much more than 25, total of both genders. Reading CDS, Lancaster CDS, York CDS, Harrisburg Academy, I think Moravian Academy in Bethlehem. No residence halls. most Catholic Schools are such (I thought LaSalle and St Joes had boarding, but I can't confirm this) These schools are all PIAA members. But there are definitely boarding PIAA schools, the orphanages, the juvenile offenders schools, Shady Side Academy.  

So many crazy comments in one relatively short thread.

The National Prep Tournament is a State Equivalent Championship for those private schools that do not participate in the NFHS State Association's Wrestling Championship or compete in that state association's Private School only division if one exists. There are over 200 schools with wrestling that fit into that category (mostly on the East Coast). They are divided into 10 different qualifying regions (mostly by state) to make a 32 bracket championship. The championships is much more competitive than nearly all of the 250 or so "state" tournaments that exist within the 50 states, with the possible exception of about 3 or 4 "State" championships from the most consistently competitive states.

Since there seems to be confusion as to what is a Prep School and what is a Parochial School - for the purposes of this championship, it does not matter...Any private school which does not compete in a NFHS State Association Championship, or their State Association's Championship is a private school only division for Wrestling, is eligible for the National Prep Championship.

On 2/17/2019 at 7:39 AM, GRAPLER said:

So many crazy comments in one relatively short thread.

The National Prep Tournament is a State Equivalent Championship for those private schools that do not participate in the NFHS State Association's Wrestling Championship or compete in that state association's Private School only division if one exists. There are over 200 schools with wrestling that fit into that category (mostly on the East Coast). They are divided into 10 different qualifying regions (mostly by state) to make a 32 bracket championship. The championships is much more competitive than nearly all of the 250 or so "state" tournaments that exist within the 50 states, with the possible exception of about 3 or 4 "State" championships from the most consistently competitive states.

Since there seems to be confusion as to what is a Prep School and what is a Parochial School - for the purposes of this championship, it does not matter...Any private school which does not compete in a NFHS State Association Championship, or their State Association's Championship is a private school only division for Wrestling, is eligible for the National Prep Championship.

So you don't need to own a pair of boat shoes and salmon colored shorts to qualify?

On 10/3/2018 at 5:32 PM, SuperSaiyanGoku said:

Do you have any idea what new region's are being considered...?? Also what's the reason behind the DC public school not being allowed to have their champion compete at the prep's..?

Simply from the standpoint that the DC region doesn't want to send a public school kid-would make more sense to not have Wilson at the DC qualifying event, but the event is the DC wrestling championship and they are the only public school who wrestles so the private schools don't want to remove them from the tournament.