#9 - Garrett Kappes (MD)

#10 - Jorden Pryor (MD)

#11 - Thomas Mukai (VA)

#16 - Isaac Righter (MD)

#17 - Andy Garcia (CO)

#18 - Colby Whitehall (PA)

#19 - Louden Haga (WV)

I have a simple training question:

1.  The USA Wrestling Jr & Cadet National are over sometime around July 20th every year

2.  Super 32 is October 27th-28th, 2018

3.  How do kids train so hard for the USA Wrestling Jr & Cadet Nationals, immediately take some time off and then begin a training cycle for Super 32 just to begin the high school season practice on November 1st

When I examined this closely if a wrestler were to finish competition the later part of July and take a break until after Labor Day from training (wrestling) they would need a minimum of an 8 week training cycle in order to peak at Super 32 and then the long high school season begins with practice on November 1st.  JMO, but that really seems like a lot of wrestling at a high level in the offseason just to crash right into the high school season without a good break after Super 32.  What is everyone's opinion?  

17 minutes ago, Bryan said:

1.  The USA Wrestling Jr & Cadet National are over sometime around July 20th every year

3.  How do kids train so hard for the USA Wrestling Jr & Cadet Nationals, immediately take some time off and then begin a training cycle for Super 32 just to begin the high school season practice on November 1st

When I examined this closely if a wrestler were to finish competition the later part of July and take a break until after Labor Day from training (wrestling) they would need a minimum of an 8 week training cycle in order to peak at Super 32 and then the long high school season begins with practice on November 1st.  JMO, but that really seems like a lot of wrestling at a high level in the offseason just to crash right into the high school season without a good break after Super 32.  What is everyone's opinion?  

I don't have a specific answer on how they (try to) peak for the various events but it is an interesting concept. I also think it just adds another wrinkle in trying to predict college success off high school head to head results. When in college everyone is basically (trying to) peak for qualifiers and NCAAs. With the never ending HS seasons, different kids may be at different levels of peaking at various times, and trying to predict college results off one kid beating another at the Pittsburgh Press classic, or Beast of the East, or Super 32, or in Fargo can be a little tricky....hard to really know how equal the peaking levels were so to speak.   

was different back in my day and on a much smaller scale, but I know I got a few summer wins over guys who were better than me because I was closer to a peak training wise and vice versa as well lost to some guys I was better than cause I was straight off the couch and they were still putting in quality mat time.  

25 minutes ago, Bryan said:

just to add another thought on this as I was talking to a friend of mine just yesterday about girls wrestling (he has a daughter, a soph in HS). for a lot of girls, who wrestle with the boys team in HS, the HS season is pretty much a training cycle....it's all to get better and prep for freestyle in the spring and summer. where as for a lot of boys, spring and summer wrestling is to get you better for the HS season. for the elite boys though it may work similarly, HS wrestling is primarily the prelude to the real season, when they hit the national events.   

20 hours ago, KTG119 said:

I don't have a specific answer on how they (try to) peak for the various events but it is an interesting concept. I also think it just adds another wrinkle in trying to predict college success off high school head to head results. When in college everyone is basically (trying to) peak for qualifiers and NCAAs. With the never ending HS seasons, different kids may be at different levels of peaking at various times, and trying to predict college results off one kid beating another at the Pittsburgh Press classic, or Beast of the East, or Super 32, or in Fargo can be a little tricky....hard to really know how equal the peaking levels were so to speak.   

was different back in my day and on a much smaller scale, but I know I got a few summer wins over guys who were better than me because I was closer to a peak training wise and vice versa as well lost to some guys I was better than cause I was straight off the couch and they were still putting in quality mat time.  

KTG119

I floated the idea because no one has ever been able to give me a good answer.  It's my understanding that not all but most kids elect to attend the USA Jr/Cadet Nationals or Super 32 but not both because it's much to difficult to do both and then jump right into the high school season.  I am inclined to believe that if a wrestler were to participate in both events and try to peak for both events the high school season would suffer.  

personally, i have never heard one kid say they made a choice between the two... if that kid wrestles the real styles, then they go to fargo because that is still the one tourney that you can make your bones at no matter what... whether or not they then attend super 32 is more a factor of when it is... where it is... whether they focus only on wrestling... blah blah blah

and let's be honest, HS wrestling is so watered down overall that the type of kids that do well at either fargo or super 32 are rarely challenged during a typical HS season until state anyway...

Never heard anyone who chose one event over the other because of competition,  money now that is a possibility but not because they couldn’t peak in time.   Parents & club coaches especially need to promote the idea that should just kids go wrestle.  Don’t make it more than it is, don’t cut 20lbs  ....  just wrestle, get better and focus on the long term development 

Bump because the event is this weekend.

Looking forward to this one as I do every year. I really want to focus on Alex Facundo. His game is to score-score-score which who doesn't like that. Reminds of Jason Nolf, David Taylor and Cael Sanderson style. 

Serrano lost to Ryan Jack from CT. Guess Jack is related to Kevin Jack? 

Busiello looked gassed after his match, but he did somehow win. 

One of the Tagg brothers lost. 

Ryan Anderson is at 152???

Edited by TBar1977