Sign in to follow this  
KTG119

better career....

wrestler A: 4x district champ, region 5, 1,1, 3. state dnq, 3, 2, 2

wrestler B: did not start as freshman, district 3, 1, 1. region 3, 1, 1. state dnp, 1, 1

wrestler C: did not start as freshman, district 3, 1, 1. region 3, 2, 2. state dnp, 3, 2

wrestler D: district 5, 2, 3, 1. region dnq, 2, 5, 1. state dnq, dnp, dnq, 1.

rank 'em.

OK - I will give it a shot.  My thoughts are assuming they are all in the same high school classification (AA, AAA, etc):

B - A - C - D (the last 2 are tough)

Thoughts:

B - 3 time qualifier, 2 time champ in 3 years on varsity - pretty good IMHO

A - 4 time district champ and 3 time qualifier is impressive, but the lack of a gold puts him clearly behind B

C - 2 time district champ and 2 medals, making it to finals once puts him ahead of D

D - made the dance twice, winning once, but thats the only medal.  I could see switching him with C, especially if it was C that he beat in that final he won

Edited by Jasonmitchell32

Top ranked is B.  Two time state champ.

Second is D. One time state champ.

Third is A. Two time runner-up at state.

Last ranked is C. Runner-up at state once.

I don't take into consideration Sectional/District/Regional competition.  It's all about state accomplishments.  

Edited by stp

7 minutes ago, stp said:

Top ranked is B.  Two time state champ.

Second is D. One time state champ.

Third is A. Two time runner-up at state.

Last ranked is C. Runner-up at state once.

I don't take into consideration Sectional/District/Regional competition.  It's all about state accomplishments.  

hear ya but does 3,2,2 at state outweigh the one state title?  (comparing D and A)

appreciate the response either way

11 hours ago, KTG119 said:

hear ya but does 3,2,2 at state outweigh the one state title?  (comparing D and A)

appreciate the response either way

To me, no.  Winning the title trumps all the placements.

57 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Rank this...

4x State Runner Up with only career losses taking place in state finals.

vs

1x State Champ who never qualified for states until senior year.

Still going with the champ.  I'd like to hear from individuals who achieved your comparison.  Would the 4x runner up trade for a single state title, or would the one time champ trade his title for a handful of placements....?

just my opinion.

Edited by stp

0 time state champ and 0 time finalist here. Every time I see the guy that won my bracket walking around at the state tournament with glitter jeans and a gut, I feel thankful that I ended up where I did. Undoubtedly, he had the better high school career (but I probably had more college wins). Thank God that's not what matters.

Edited by ptz305

2 hours ago, stp said:

Still going with the champ.  I'd like to hear from individuals who achieved your comparison.  Would the 4x runner up trade for a single state title, or would the one time champ trade his title for a handful of placements....?

just my opinion.

But the question is who had the better career.

A Career is a large body of work over an extended period of time.

In my opinion the 4x runner up had the better career. The 1x champ ended up being the better wrestler by accomplishing the better feat..

4 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

But the question is who had the better career.

A Career is a large body of work over an extended period of time.

In my opinion the 4x runner up had the better career. The 1x champ ended up being the better wrestler by accomplishing the better feat..

I can accept that.  My opinion is also influenced by someone who placed at state multiple times, between two different sports.  Best they ever did at state was runner-up, placing four times, while competing seven.    They said, "ones pinnacle performance during their career, is remembered most." 

So I looked at it another way; it's hard to name all of David Taylor's finals opponents for his 4x Ohio state titles, just off of memory.   You can more easily remember who he wrestled in the Ironman finals. 

Lets rank David Taylor's Ironman finals opponents:

1. Logan Stieber

2. Boris Novochkov

3. *had to look up who he beat in his Senior year - Joey Watko.           

4.  Jamie Clark

Why do I keep bringing up individual accomplishments?  They are remembered most, over ones career.  

Edited by stp

stp I started this thread on the HS forum and you have been adamant that champ trumps all, so I'll ask if that holds for collegiate comparison between Iowa 'mates Whitmer and Mena.

Mena NCAA 7, 3, 5, 2

Whitmer behind Mena for 3 years finally starts when Mena moves up, champ as senior.  

2 hours ago, KTG119 said:

stp I started this thread on the HS forum and you have been adamant that champ trumps all, so I'll ask if that holds for collegiate comparison between Iowa 'mates Whitmer and Mena.

Mena NCAA 7, 3, 5, 2

Whitmer behind Mena for 3 years finally starts when Mena moves up, champ as senior.  

Honestly, college or HS does not matter.  Same opinion.  Going with the one-time champ.   Wonder if coach Mena is on themat, curious if he'd trade four placements for a lone title.