Sign in to follow this  
kionga

Michigan Lineup?

I have tons of questions about Michigan's team and was hoping to read some opinions of people more knowledgeable than myself

125)  Drew Mattin is the favorite here, but Austin Assad was the starter until his injury.  Who wins the starting spot this year and how will he fare at NCAA?

133)  Micic seems like a sure thing here.

141)  Will it be Kanen Storr?  What about Sal Profaci or Ben Freeman?  Could freshman Joey Silva end up here?

149)  Will it be Malik Amine?  Possibly Storr, Profaci or Freeman?  With Retherford and Sorensen gone, could Alec Pantaleo cut down to 149?  I think Pantaleo wins this weight if he can successfully make the cut.

157)  Most likely Pantaleo.

165)  Can Massa come back from that injury that hurt his sophomore season?

174)  Myles Amine will seriously challenge for the NCAA title.

184)  How well will Jelani Embree do?  NCAA qualifier?  Possible AA?

197)  Jackson Striggow is the favorite, but both JT Carroll and Davidson looked pretty good last season.

HWT)  Will Mason Parris start as a true freshman?  Adam Coon did.

I think you are correct on your lineup assumptions, but I doubt Parris starts.  More likely to see true freshmen in the lineup in 2019-20 if they can be immediate contributors (McHenry, maybe Cam Amine), as I expect they may load up in what will be Micic, Massa, and Myles Amine's senior year.

This year they probably end up with 4 AA's, possibly 5.  In 2019-20 they could have 8, maybe even 9 AA's and challenge for the title.  

Hope they site Parris and give him a year to bulk up right.  I’d like to see Parris given time to grow into a true HWT with strength rather than be very undersized or just carrying around unnecessary fat to get there.  Not to mention an extra year in the room with Coon couldn’t hurt his chances of succeeding at the college level.  

I think you've got a pretty good overview of things now.  A lot of questions will be answered in the intrasquad dual on the 29th. 

A few thoughts:

125:  Mattin had a very good true freshman season while Assad allowed himself to heal.  The latter was doing reasonably well in summer freestyle competition, so it remains to be seen. 

If Mattin continues where he left off, I think he's a serious AA candidate.

141:  Storr definitely the better competitor between him and Profaci, both already having been tested in competition.  We'll see if Silva or Freeman are in a position to contend.

149:  Definitely the most contested weight.  I'd kinda like to see Malik come back and finally emerge in his last year.

165:  I REALLY hope we won't see like brother like brother.

174:  I thought Amine gave Valencia all he could handle this past March in the semis.  A stud.

197:  Another contested weight with Striggow already battle tested.

HWT:  While it's always possible, I don't think we'll see Parris starting as a true frosh.  Coon was truly extraordinary in going to the #1 ranking at HWT during his freshman season, and was a lot bigger than Parris.  Nemec and Ready probably aren't AA caliber at this point, but one of them should at least be competent.

125) Consensus seems to be that Matten is redshirting. I'm bearish on him progressing much past the 9-15 range though. I think he'll perpetually be a "Solid" wrestler and will never threaten to AA because he's not an elite athlete and doesn't have any unstoppable technique that will push him into the top tier.

149) I think Malik Amine comes out on top here. He's crazy enough to think he is going to win a National Championship at this weight. He won't, but that absurd confidence will help him hold off the challengers who will bump up after losing to K. Storr in the preseason challenge tournament.

165) I honestly thought Massa would struggle in college because it doesn't seem like he sets his shots up at all.... then he took 3rd as a Frosh. Next year I was all aboard the Massa train and he had a down year (probably just injuries but who knows). Honestly I have no idea how he'll do other than I am sure I will be wrong.

174) Everyone wants to see if Amine will beat Hall or Zahid if he stays at 74, but I'm curious to see if Amine can separate himself from the rest of the pack. Beating a mutant like Mark Hall might be too tall of an order but getting comfortably ahead of guys like Kutler and Daniel Lewis would be almost as impressive in my mind.

197) I felt bad for Striggow, it seemed like he would beat Beazley in matches but coaches went with Beaz either because he would do better against other competition, or because they used the scholarship dollars on him as a transfer and couldn't not wrestle him. Either way I hope Striggow has a good year to reward his patience.

285) I think people are underestimating how green Nemec and Read are. I wouldn't be surprised if they start the year, and if a window opens where Michigan could conceivably get a trophy they pull Parris' redshirt.

13 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

Your post about amine makes no sense. Him doing something you don't think he can do is as impressive as him doing something you think he can? Or are you saying he can't spread the gap on Kulter?

Regardless, I say Amine never makes the finals, he's too one dimensional. 

The key word in my post was almost as impressive. It would obviously be amazing if he could beat Mark but being able to consistently beat and/or bonus other All Americans is no small accomplishment and definitely possible with his improvement trajectory.

Also he's one dimensional? To be fair I haven't watched all of his matches but he struck me as a well rounded wrestler, the only thing that really caught my (uneducated) eye was he has a very good gramby roll for a big guy but other than that no "signature" move like Mark Hall's duck or Daniel Lewis's top game.

Somedude202:  I think you break it down pretty well.  I'd just add that I agree that Michigan has to consider putting Parris in the lineup.  This is the first year in a while that Hvy isn't dominated by a star.  There's opportunity at this weight for someone with Parris level of talent.   

Edited by silvermedal

At 125 my guess is that they would like to redshirt Mattin and start Assad, but that hinges on Assad being able to hold up for a full college season which is a big if given his injury history. I think Mattin will be able to hold the weight for at least another year, but he wrestled 61KG this summer and with McHenry coming in next year I gotta think he’s headed up 133lbs sooner or later.

Despite pretty mediocre results during hid redshirt season I still think Ben Freeman is a guy to keep an eye on. He had a 12-2 FS win over Nick Lee about 18 months ago and definitely has a the skillset to have success at this level if can get stronger and more physical. With Silva likely to take over the reigns at 141 next year I’d like to see Ben move up and compete to be the 149 of the future.

Jelani Embree is really intriguing. His biggest issue in high school was that he had a really hard time creating his own offense when he was trailing against elite opponents. The dude is an absolute MAC truck, though, if he can develop a go-to folkstyle takedown he is gonna be a serious problem for people at 184.

Edited by tilt57
Unbolding Font

22 hours ago, Gantry said:

Yeah I don't consider Amine one dimensional at all - slick, somewhat varied neutral game, sneaky good top game (ask BoJo), good motor, will to win etc. 

Is it for sure that Storr is going 141?  Was curious if he was getting too big for that weight...

Storr is tall for sure, but I think having a long reach and being able to pull in that high-crotch from far away is a big part of what makes him so successful. I doubt we'll see him go up to 149 for that reason.

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Pantaleo wrestling 149 makes sense to me.

I have no idea if that's even a serious consideration or if he could make the cut and function well at the lower weight. Also don't see how it helps the overall line-up. But....IF he could make and handle the cut his chances of winning a title are much better at 149 than 157.   

Michigan has the makings of a nice team headed into this season.

Furthermore, they have created some impressive depth, obviously key to a competitive room, but more importantly, it’s (depth) the difference between being a good program and being a great/elite one.

As good as they are going to be this year, I think the upside for next year's team is even higher, especially if they decide to go all-in and start McHenry right away.

125: McHenry
133: Micic
141: Silva
149: Storr
157: Lewan
165: Massa
174: Amine
184: Embree
197: Striggow
285: Parris

Obviously a lot of those guys are still unproven at the college level and we will learn a lot more about them in the coming months, but either way it's a pretty exciting time in Ann Arbor. Bormet is the man.

3 hours ago, tilt57 said:

As good as they are going to be this year, I think the upside for next year's team is even higher, especially if they decide to go all-in and start McHenry right away.

125: McHenry
133: Micic
141: Silva
149: Storr
157: Lewan
165: Massa
174: Amine
184: Embree
197: Striggow
285: Parris

Obviously a lot of those guys are still unproven at the college level and we will learn a lot more about them in the coming months, but either way it's a pretty exciting time in Ann Arbor. Bormet is the man.

I’m not so sure McHenry beats out Mattin next year. McHenry is small. Mattin was a true freshman qualifier who has some solid wins. He will be in his third year next year. 

If McHenry starts over Mattin, he is a likely AA 

That's a good point. I'm also not sure if Mattin will still be able to make 125 by then, however. He wrestled 61kg this spring. Thinking next year may be a good opportunity to redshirt him then take over for Micic at 133 the following year.

1 hour ago, tilt57 said:

That's a good point. I'm also not sure if Mattin will still be able to make 125 by then, however. He wrestled 61kg this spring. Thinking next year may be a good opportunity to redshirt him then take over for Micic at 133 the following year.

Good point. Mattin might move up. 

I hope mchenry gets big enough. He has a chip on his shoulder and is super talented. He will be fun to watch if he can put on some weight.