Sign in to follow this  
AHamilton

Suriano interview s

It reminds me of the interview that Chael Sonnen did when he talked about his rough upbringing.  How his teenage neighbors had to "share" a Mercedes and how there was a time when he was young that he actually saw someone jaywalk and the effect it had on him.  It was heart wrenching.

37 minutes ago, pennsyrules said:

It reminds me of the interview that Chael Sonnen did when he talked about his rough upbringing.  How his teenage neighbors had to "share" a Mercedes and how there was a time when he was young that he actually saw someone jaywalk and the effect it had on him.  It was heart wrenching.

Yes.  Chael was also traumatized by seeing someone litter with a gum wrapper on the playground in the mean streets of West Lynn, Oregon.

After those interviews, my understanding is that Suriano was so sick, that he has a fairly good chance of scoring a major or better the next time that he wrestles Spencer Lee.

It seems to me that Mr. Suriano is too much about ME and not enough about WE.  Maybe if he focused a little more on his team instead of filming documentaries about his work ethic, Rutgers would do something other than woefully underachieve... just kidding, sort of.  

Seriously though at a minimum it appears this dude is operating in a bit of an echo chamber.  He was hurt, we get it, mind over matter... that's all good and well, but when you do these sort of interviews, like "look how much will power I have, and I can overcome anything, and I was so hurt but it didn't matter because I'm such a tough guy," it just comes off as incredibly lame.  I'm sure he's a nice enough kid, but we all need someone keeping us in check.  

Edited by steamboat_charlie v2

I liked how he kept offering/not offering his phone to Mike Mal. I guess this was to prove without a reasonable doubt that he really, really, really, really was badly injured. It is never Nick, it is always some other thing that holds him back. Last year Cael Sanderson held him back, this year the injury was for real, for real. 

1 hour ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

All I heard was a bunch of excuses from a punk. Anyone hear Nolf or Yanni whining about the injuries they fought through. 

Not the best comparison since they both won. Also, neither had a Spencer Lee in their bracket. 

The crazy thing is, this sport has a ridiculously unique way of looking at, truthfully ignoring/dismissing, injuries/illnesses. In basically every major sport they are a clear, nearly transparent part. In wrestling, they are almost unilaterally considered an EXCUSE. 

It is true that very few guys make it to,and/or through, NCAAs without being dinged up. But, from a solely fan perspective, I want to know if these guys were going through something major at NCAAs. 

Did Greg Jones have something going on that caused his one bad NCAAs?

How about Mack Lewnes entering NCAAs undefeated and going 0-2?

Even Gabe Dean entering his last NCAAs.....there is a distinct difference between an excuse and a reason. 

Edited by MSU158

24 minutes ago, MSU158 said:

It is true that very few guys make it to,and/or through, NCAAs without being dinged up. But, from a solely fan perspective, I want to know if these guys were going through something major at NCAAs. 

Did Greg Jones have something going on that caused his one bad NCAAs?

How about Mack Lewnes entering NCAAs undefeated and going 0-2?

Even Gabe Dean entering his last NCAAs.....there is a distinct difference between an excuse and a reason. 

of the 3 I think Dean is the least of a head scratcher. He made a pretty dominant run to the finals other than the close one over Dechow but Dechow always gave him tough matches. 

7 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

of the 3 I think Dean is the least of a head scratcher. He made a pretty dominant run to the finals other than the close one over Dechow but Dechow always gave him tough matches. 

Admittedly, being closer to home, I had a more rooted interest, but there were solid rumors that he was dealing with something and it was even hinted at in a FLO interview.  However, we are more likely to only get hints, even when the issue was severe as McDonough's.  Without the surgery that followed, we wouldn't have ever known.

As a wrestler, I get it.  No excuses is an important mentality.  When a medical redshirt isn't an option, you just put that injury/illness behind you and work through it.  However, as a fan, I want to KNOW!!!

Edited to add:  Hell, the flu, mono, strep throat at the wrong time could truly decimate an NCAA performance.  It is hard enough to wrestle at that level for 7+ minutes when you are clicking on all cylinders.

Edited by MSU158

I haven't listened to the interview but the flexing and dancing video clip is awesome. y'all jokin on it but you know you had a collection of muscle tees and didn't hesitate to flash them abs back when you had a mullet and actually you know had abs and muscles to show off.

(or maybe that was just me and too many people I knew)

Dude is a stud. If you dont like him, whatever. Im not a huge fan of the showy attitude, or really of him in general. If you see this as him making excuses that's on you, because thats certainly not how I hear/see it. 

Spencer lee, also an absolute freak, did the same thing months after he lost to DeSanto in the state finals. Simply put the story out there. Didnt frame it as an excuse. 

Everyone knew Nolf was injured - and he still smoked everyone. A- No need for him to tell a story everyone already knew. B- He won. 

Not sure how word got out on Yianni being injured at NCAAs, but no doubt it would have come out in any case. Like Nolf though, he won. 

28 minutes ago, iGranby said:

Dude is a stud. If you dont like him, whatever. Im not a huge fan of the showy attitude, or really of him in general. If you see this as him making excuses that's on you, because thats certainly not how I hear/see it. 

Spencer lee, also an absolute freak, did the same thing months after he lost to DeSanto in the state finals. Simply put the story out there. Didnt frame it as an excuse. 

Everyone knew Nolf was injured - and he still smoked everyone. A- No need for him to tell a story everyone already knew. B- He won. 

Not sure how word got out on Yianni being injured at NCAAs, but no doubt it would have come out in any case. Like Nolf though, he won. 

Lee did multiple interviews on Flo about it?

10 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Lee did multiple interviews on Flo about it?

Are you inferring that Suriano called FLO for all of these interviews?  Or, as is more likely, FLO interviewed him multiple times and he simply told his version of the truth each time?