rcoates1

NWCA All Star Classic

With the Classic a month away, I thought I'd start a discussion as to matches everyone wants to see.  Maybe someone from the NWCA reads these and we can get some popular matchups.  With it being in Denver, I will be attending and hope for an incredible night for our club's kids and the rest of the coaches.  Here are the matches I hope for.

125 - Lee vs Suriano or Rivera vs Piccininni obviously we want to see Lee but I don't recall a lot of Iowa guys going.  Rivera and Picc would be action packed, so I would settle for them

133 - Micic vs Wilson two guys that can light it up and since we see Bridges and Gross this is a matchup that the fans can appreciate.

141- Yianni vs McKenna a match that everyone has been waiting for but have been denied seeing.  Will settle for Brock vs Nick Lee if yianni can't go because of the knee.

149 - Ashnault vs Finesilver  A tough Colorado kid vs someone the whole crowd can root against.

157 - Nolf vs Hidlay/Pantaleo/Deakin any match between any of these guys will be good watching, even if it is just Nolf destroying someone.

165 - Joseph/ Marsteller vs Joe Smith it would be fun to watch Chance wrestle another Cowboy.

174 - Zahid vs anyone or Taylor Lujan vs chandler Rogers would be fireworks

184 - Taylor Venz vs Shakur Rasheed who will get pinned in a cradle?

197 - Conel vs Moore it's really the only interesting matchup at the weight Nickal will wrestle them both during the season so at least this match has a back story.

HWT - Nevills vs White might be a fun one

I'd be shocked if Gross doesnt wrestle. He competes in everything possible and he loves putting it on the line. If he's not wrestling at 133, my guess is that it's because he's bumping up to 141. 

If Gross is at 133, I'd like to see him vs Wilson PT.2, or Lizak. 

IF Gross is at 141, Him vs Yianni is the obvious pick if Yianni is healthy. I would Love to see him versus McKenna, or Eierman though if Yianni cant go. Then at 133, I'd also like to see the Serbian Sickle vs Wilson. 

I'd like to get a rematch of Marsteller/Wick at 165- Before the Bono & Askren Hires I was very confident that Chance would beat Wick next time around. I still think he can/does, but I'm not nearly as confident. Only reason I'm not dying to see V.Joseph in here is because he could possibly wrestle all the above, and Joe smith before NCAAs. 

Not sure how likely it is, as he wasnt an all American last year, and the weight returns a lot - but I'd like to see Monday in this event. 

Edited by iGranby

I’d also be shocked if Gross received an invite and didn’t accept.  I’m just saying since it’s in Denver and I’m from Wyoming I get to see Seth wrestle already.  My hope is that they bring in guys that we don’t get to see.  I’m a Seth gross fan and what he and Meredith did last year was awesome.  There should be more of that.  The best guy in a team used to bump up to face the best guy on the other team.  

I just think it’s awesome the NWCA chose Denver to do it this year and I’m excited and I hope they can get some incredible matchups to light a fire in some young men around here to help grow wrestling even more in this part of the country.

19 hours ago, rcoates1 said:

I’d also be shocked if Gross received an invite and didn’t accept.  I’m just saying since it’s in Denver and I’m from Wyoming I get to see Seth wrestle already.  My hope is that they bring in guys that we don’t get to see.  I’m a Seth gross fan and what he and Meredith did last year was awesome.  There should be more of that.  The best guy in a team used to bump up to face the best guy on the other team.  

I just think it’s awesome the NWCA chose Denver to do it this year and I’m excited and I hope they can get some incredible matchups to light a fire in some young men around here to help grow wrestling even more in this part of the country.

Right, gotcha. 

Funny we were talking about him yesterday, and later in the night he was announced as one of the 133lb contestants, ha. 

I'd really like to see him either take on Suriano, or Wilson. 

There is little to gain for some of the top ranked guys!  Why go out and compete if you are the #1 or #2 ranked guy when your training is not at the highest level with regards to peaking?

35 minutes ago, Bryan said:

There is little to gain for some of the top ranked guys!  Why go out and compete if you are the #1 or #2 ranked guy when your training is not at the highest level with regards to peaking?

All star matches arent considered when it comes to seeding/ranking. 

On the more concrete side of things, I get what youre saying I suppose. It definitely benefits a lot of people to wrestle the top guys as many times as possible to try and figure them out. 

I like matches with back stories or consequences:

Marstellar vs Smith - Redemption Cowboy vs Golden Cowboy

Suriano vs Anyone from PSU - I want to watch the hand shake after the pin.

Lee vs Bresser - Rematch for the prodigy. Unfortunately he goes down again.

Yianni vs 2 guys from Wyoming...it would take that many to equal what Meredith brought.

Nevills Vs Nevills - One family member per corner. Christmas gift exchange rights on the line.

Mekhi vs Cenzo vs Yianni - Loser changes name to something everyone can spell

Not much interest in this event. In the sixties & seventies almost all the top guys participated. Not sure if things will change. 

It was after the season back then ... and it started in 1967.

Every year people complain about it not being what it once was yet no one can even get those facts right. People started bailing when it was in February because they felt it impacted seeds when it wasn’t supposed to.

It’s the one dual (save PSU-tOSU last year) with more All-Americans going at it than any single event outside a B1G or NCAA final, yet people STILL complain about the awesome AAs aren’t good enough.

If there were 10 #1 vs #2s, someone would still complain about it not being as good as it was in the past. revisionist history.

7 hours ago, gowrestle said:

Not much interest in this event. In the sixties & seventies almost all the top guys participated. Not sure if things will change. 

I'm interested in the event, but you are right that it's not what it used to be. I'm not even sure all those guys listed AA'd last year. Picc sure didn't. I'd be a lot more interested if it was a bunch of top ranked guys vs close challengers. Can't blame the wrestlers for not necessarily being interested though, but I'd have loved wrestling in something like it.

7 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

It was after the season back then ... and it started in 1967.

Every year people complain about it not being what it once was yet no one can even get those facts right. People started bailing when it was in February because they felt it impacted seeds when it wasn’t supposed to.

It’s the one dual (save PSU-tOSU last year) with more All-Americans going at it than any single event outside a B1G or NCAA final, yet people STILL complain about the awesome AAs aren’t good enough.

If there were 10 #1 vs #2s, someone would still complain about it not being as good as it was in the past. revisionist history.

It can be a great event put on by great people and it can still be a disappointment to some.  Especially if it's undeniably less than it once was.  People complain, don't be so thin skinned about it.  

I love 'Glory Days' people.

On a different note - It is a wrestling event with great wrestlers being hosted in a great city.  Attend and make the event itself great!  The critics and detractors are going to say "Don't bother, the venue is a barn."  They aren't wrong,  so they got me there.  But I'll counter with "Its in Denver."  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a great beer or a great dispensary in Denver!  

11 hours ago, JasonBryant said:

I feel like people explained this more logically in the past. :)

Edited by MadMardigain

Maybe they (the invisible but omnipresent "thems") can make it an East vs. West all star dual to jazz up the interest.  Or, better, East vs. Mid-West.   

Throw in a couple of old-timer exhibition matches -- guys that have been out of circulation for at least ten years. (I'm wondering how Wade Schalles would still perform.)  Or tag-team matches  . . . or perhaps some inter-gender wrestling. Or a couple of political bouts:  Jim Jordan vs.  the wrestlers accusing him.   Or even inter-species matches:  a circus bear vs.  John Irving (the famous novelist and former wrestler).   

Okay, I got carried away . . . the first suggestion above was semi-serious if fairly unlikely to happen. 

Definitely pales in comparison to the past but still an event I look forward to and go to every few years. Denver is a a few bridges too far for me this year. 

One thing I like about the modern version versus the past is the occasional matchup between champs st different weights. Would love to see Zahid vs. Nickal this year if Zahid is going 184 or Lee vs. Gross.