rcoates1

NWCA All Star Classic

38 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I could get into an old timers dual. Couldn't go back very far though. Schalles is pushing 70 for petesake. Let's try to keep it below 50, don't want any guys dying out there on the mat.

Wouldn't bet on the chances of getting Cael on the mat again, especially for something like this, but I'd say Cael would be about as old as I'd go.

This is a cool idea.   Maybe look at some of the coaches who aren't competing?  Off the top of my head

mid-timers

Poeta

morningstar

mcdonough

John Reader

Coleman Scott

escobedo

hahn

escobedo

st john

Howe

Or even get into more old(er) timers

Cael

Bono

Brands

Shwabb

bormet

You think any one would go for it?  Maybe make it for charity?  Get people fired up for the season

Edited by JBluegill133

Sorry, I didn't read much of the other posts on this thread but this event is a complete flop this year.  I'm not sure I will ever have interest in it again.

I definitely will not pay for it.

Edited by gdub

The fact that nobody posted the results yet says all you need to know about the interest level this year:

Men:
141: No. 2 Joey McKenna (Ohio State) dec. No. 5 Kaid Brock (Oklahoma State), 11-4
149: No. 1 Matt Kolodzik (Princeton) dec. No. 8 Mitch Finesilver (Duke), 12-7
174: No. 3 Myles Amine (Michigan) maj. dec. No. 10 (184) Jacobe Smith (Oklahoma State), 11-2
184: No. 3 Taylor Venz (Nebraska) dec. No. 8 Max Dean (Cornell), 10-5
285: No. 4 Derek White (Oklahoma St.) dec. No. 3 Youssif Hemida (Maryland), 7-5 SV

Women:
109:  No. 1 Maria Vidales (Emmanuel) tech. fall No. 2 Charlotte Fowler (Campbellsville), 12-0
123: No. 1 Dominique Parrish (Simon Fraser) tech. fall No. 1 (116) Gabriela Ramos-Diaz (Wayland Baptist), 10-0
130: No. 3 (123) Abby Nette (Emmanuel) tech. fall No. 2 Erika Mihalca (Missouri Baptist), 10-0
143: No. 1 Alexis Porter (McKendree) dec. No. 1 (136) Nicole Joseph (King), 6-3
170: No. 1 Brittany Marshall (Wayland Baptist) dec. No. 2 Mariah Harris (Campbellsville). 3-1

On 10/30/2018 at 11:45 AM, JeanGuy said:

I don't like the timing of the All Star. To me this event could be better exploited after the National Championships. The sport has just been running on a national network. Take it to an interesting place and have 125 champ wrestle 133 champ and so on. There is nothing on the line at that point. Guys are still in wrestling condition.

With all due respect, this is one of the single worst ideas I've ever heard.  What would be the point of an All-Star match right after the national tournament? 

8 hours ago, Gantry said:

The fact that nobody posted the results yet says all you need to know about the interest level this year:

Men:
141: No. 2 Joey McKenna (Ohio State) dec. No. 5 Kaid Brock (Oklahoma State), 11-4
174: No. 3 Myles Amine (Michigan) maj. dec. No. 10 (184) Jacobe Smith (Oklahoma State), 11-2
285: No. 4 Derek White (Oklahoma St.) dec. No. 3 Youssif Hemida (Maryland), 7-5 SV

Women:
109:  No. 1 Maria Vidales (Emmanuel) tech. fall No. 2 Charlotte Fowler (Campbellsville), 12-0
123: No. 1 Dominique Parrish (Simon Fraser) tech. fall No. 1 (116) Gabriela Ramos-Diaz (Wayland Baptist), 10-0
130: No. 3 (123) Abby Nette (Emmanuel) tech. fall No. 2 Erika Mihalca (Missouri Baptist), 10-0
170: No. 1 Brittany Marshall (Wayland Baptist) dec. No. 2 Mariah Harris (Campbellsville). 3-1

It was quite an event, for the dozens in attendance....

13 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Did anyone attend from this board? I know we have some CO fans here. I watched the stream and the actual wrestling was good.

I attended.  It was an awful production, but the wrestlers looked good.  Mckenna and Brock had some some nice scrambles.  Venz and Kolodzik look good.  Finesilver wrestled hard.  As far as attendance goes, I'd estimate 1000.  It was run in conjunction with a very large youth tournament(Monster Match) that boosted attendance considerably.  Contrary to my expectation and experience, there were very few celebrities  there.  

10 hours ago, Gantry said:

Men:

Women:

At least the matches were competitive....

Edited by HokieHWT

It was quite an event, for the dozens in attendance....
I'd like to congratulate the parents of the wrestlers for attending the event. Intense dedication to their kids and respective programs!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I understand that people are trying to make light of a horrible situation by suggesting an Old Timers Match or even a Mid Timers Match but neither one of those need to even be discussed.   It's unfortunate but wrestling coaches are typically atrocious business people that are control freaks.  For whatever reason the coaches will not support the national coaches association by sending the best wrestlers to participate.  I find it hard to believe that someone has not talked to the top 10 programs to see what the real problem is and what needs to happen if the event is ever going to be a success.  If it's one or two coaches that for whatever reason just want to be selfish they should be called out in public.  It does no good to allow them to sit back and hide, they should be forced to be accountable for their actions or lack thereof.    If the time of year (date) is the problem then just change the date.  I understand that its's the holiday season but I personally have always felt that sometime between Christmas & New Years Day would be a great time frame for the event.  Whatever the problem is fix the problem immediately or make an announcement by Christmas of 2018 that the event is being canceled due to a lack of participation from the coaches of the top ranked wrestlers.  

Edited by Bryan

On 11/2/2018 at 11:48 PM, Cradle1 said:

With all due respect, this is one of the single worst ideas I've ever heard.  What would be the point of an All-Star match right after the national tournament? 

As someone already pointed out " ..coaches will not support the national coaches association by sending the best wrestlers to participate.."

On 11/3/2018 at 8:51 AM, JasonBryant said:

Did anyone attend from this board? I know we have some CO fans here. I watched the stream and the actual wrestling was good.

I was there.  The venue was a horrible place to hold the event.  The structural columns surrounding the raised mat made it impossible to see the entire mat from anywhere in the stands.  The best part for me was running into several of my old college teammates and drinking the overpriced Coors.  At least I found free parking.  Got to shake Bryan Snyder's hand and ran into Coach Manning in the pisser though, so that was cool.  Event itself would have been better off being held in a high school gym...I missed a lot of the action on the side of the mat blocked by the columns and I arrived early and found "good" seats.  Can't believe I paid $20 to attend.  

Edited by Yellow_Medal

My son and I were going to go, however...

- the venue sucked (terrible for wrestling in general) 

- there were only 5 collegiate men’s matches

- traffic on I-70 sucks on Friday (and every other day)

Whoever was responsible for organizing this from the NWCA needs to be reassigned and/or terminated.  Pathetic attempt of a showcase event on every level. 

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:48 AM, Cradle1 said:

Why is it better to have an event that doesn't count (but kind of does) before the season?

After the national tournament interest in the sport is at its peak. I think you are more likely to get top guys willing to participate. Slide weights towards FS weights and get some champs wrestling one another.

I respect other opinions, but what they are doing now isn't working.

And at some point everything else they tried didn't work so they changed it up to see if something else worked.

It was after the season initially. Went to Feb for a number of years. Nothing helped yet.

1 hour ago, JasonBryant said:

Buy-in after the season would be worse in my opinion - they just went through the NCAA tournament. Let’s see a final again we just saw two weeks ago they wouldn’t count? Not sure I can subscribe to that logic.

I see where you're coming from, redundancy is boring. On the other hand, there's the desire to see the Crowned best go at it while it's still fresh in everyone's mind, not to mention the crazy, unpredictable upsets that occur, as they did in the first several years.

I look at this like a two-generation-long experiment. After having gone through the full range of possibilities, early, mid- and post season, and considering nothing to lose seedwise, post-NCAA seems to serve the best opportunity for full participation and good attendance. I don't know about making it a "team" thing (East-West), but it definitely should be on a campus in a tradition rich part of the country every year so that it will appear popular and exciting. You might even always schedule it on the campus of the defending team champion to insure these conditions.

I also understand the "logic' of moving it around to non-traditional locations to try to increase exposure and grow interest. You can see from experience this doesn't work well. I learned this long ago when the 1971 NCAA meet was held in Auburn, Alabama as a favor to Hall of Fame Auburn coach, Arnold "Swede"Umbach. Nevertheless the turnout was low. The South ain't interested then or now.

Like a politician, visit where you're most loved and understood.

To the INSIDE TRIP boys who brought up this thread in their podcast today (which I love by the way)

NO one ever said Mark Hall would have won NCAA if he was seeded 1st..lie

The reason Zahid was ranked 1st going into season was because of All Star result-fact.

Since he went wire to wire ranked 1st in every poll it influenced coaches rank which is part of seeding..fact

It absolutely matters if there are 3 top guys at a weight since the guy who gets #1 gets easier road to final-fact

It didn’t matter in the Hall/Valencia situation because they were the clear 1 and 2 and it didn’t matter who was 3..fact

Penn State didn’t send their guys and they are the premier team with the best wrestlers-fact.

It was the weakest card ever-fact

You say returning champ means nothing but when doing rankings the returning champs are ranked 1st coming into new year-fact (unless in certain situations a returning champ goes down or up into a weight and there are 2 champs and the returning champ at the weight may not be 1)—fact

If a guy is ranked #1 preseason and doesn’t lose he will be ranked first in coaches poll—fact (unless he doesn’t meet minimum match requirements)

So please tell this uneducated fan where I am wrong?

I don’t have a podcast so this is my only way to get my uneducated side across

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, pish6969 said:

To the INSIDE TRIP boys who brought up this thread in their podcast today (which I love by the way)

NO one ever said Mark Hall would have won NCAA if he was seeded 1st..lie

The reason Zahid was ranked 1st going into season was because of All Star result-fact.

Since he went wire to wire ranked 1st in every poll it influenced coaches rank which is part of seeding..fact

It absolutely matters if there are 3 top guys at a weight since the guy who gets #1 gets easier road to final-fact

It didn’t matter in the Hall/Valencia situation because they were the clear 1 and 2 and it didn’t matter who was 3..fact

Penn State didn’t send their guys and they are the premier team with the best wrestlers-fact.

It was the weakest card ever-fact

You say returning champ means nothing but when doing rankings the returning champs are ranked 1st coming into new year-fact (unless in certain situations a returning champ goes down or up into a weight and there are 2 champs and the returning champ at the weight may not be 1)—fact

If a guy is ranked #1 preseason and doesn’t lose he will be ranked first in coaches poll—fact (unless he doesn’t meet minimum match requirements)

So please tell this uneducated fan where I am wrong?

I don’t have a podcast so this is my only way to get my uneducated side across

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phish, you use fact a lot, but few of those are facts with corroborating evidence. Your facts are likely but until a coach says I ranked ZV ahead of MH because he beat him in the All Star it is just speculation.

I agree with your points for the most part, but I can't say they are facts.