rcoates1

NWCA All Star Classic

14 minutes ago, MNRodent said:

I agree with this.  If seeds upset someone, they should just think of it as a means of separation of the best wresters.  This is it's purpose.  Don't look at it as some sort of honor or award.

I totally get seed complaints.  If you are going to bother seeding then do it right.  But this was a seed that could have gone either way without either guy having a complaint.  It was a tossup.  Zahid had a very fair argument for being #1 without the All-Star.  So did Hall.  Then Zahid handles Hall decisively and someone wants to argue about the seed 7 months later?  It's just strange.  Like my first comment, it's the definition of a first world problem.  The team you root for is so good you are inventing slights.  

10 hours ago, pish6969 said:

You still don’t get my point dummy

Worst example? It’s the only example I can think of where it was clear as day that this match impacted ranking/seed.

Are you that stupid?

Instead of telling me how much Zahid has separated from Hall which is subjective at best. Just answer the questions in order..

Did I hit a nerve?

pish the entitled PSU fan: PSU should never attend All-Stars again. It's terrible how much they are factored into seeding at NCAAs and how unfair that is. Just ask Mark Hall!!

Me: The only thing that was unfair about what what happened to Hall was how bad Zahid made him look in the ass whoopin' he delivered. Seeds had zero to do with that outcome.

You can call me dummy and stupid all you want, but anybody with half a brain knows seeding had nothing to do with what happened to Hall in March.... not to speak of the reality that indeed, Zahid had a very good case for the #1 seed anyway, since as some have already pointed out, the only matches that matter for seeding are for the current season in question. "Dummy."

Quit your pusilanimous whining. PSU should never attend All-Stars... what a joke you are.

I don't understand what issue there is, but I'll agree with pish that Zahid was seeded first in part because of his win over Hall in a preseason match.  
The system worked and the two top seeds provided an exciting final.  

That’s all I was trying to point out in the first place. He was seeded first in part because of his win at all star classic.

Others can’t admit this for some odd reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I hit a nerve?
pish the entitled PSU fan: PSU should never attend All-Stars again. It's terrible how much they are factored into seeding at NCAAs and how unfair that is. Just ask Mark Hall!!
Me: The only thing that was unfair about what what happened to Hall was how bad Zahid made him look in the ass whoopin' he delivered. Seeds had zero to do with that outcome.
You can call me dummy and stupid all you want, but anybody with half a brain knows seeding had nothing to do with what happened to Hall in March.... not to speak of the reality that indeed, Zahid had a very good case for the #1 seed anyway, since as some have already pointed out, the only matches that matter for seeding are for the current season in question. "Dummy."
Quit your pusilanimous whining. PSU should never attend All-Stars... what a joke you are.

You are a dummy. As it’s clear you still don’t get my point.

1 hour ago, pish6969 said:

That’s all I was trying to point out in the first place. He was seeded first in part because of his win at all star classic.

Others can’t admit this for some odd reason

He was seeded first in part because of his win at the All-Star classic.  

If the match never happened it could have gone either way.  Zahid had the better regular season but Hall had the unconsiderables.  The All-Star match gave him both.  

On 10/7/2018 at 2:24 AM, pish6969 said:

Not true. Ask Mark Hall if it’s not considered. Defending national champ loses by a point in all-star Match and starts season ranked 2nd. Then goes undefeated in the toughest conference hitting most of the top guys and gets 2 seed at nationals.  

If it didn’t count how can an undefeated defending champ not only start season ranked second and get seeded 2nd at ncaa?

I dunno.  Maybe ask David Taylor?

7 hours ago, pish6969 said:

You are a dummy. As it’s clear you still don’t get my point.

Because you didn’t have a point. You were just biching and moaning and used Hall as a stupid example of a worthless point and got called out for it.

Edited by wrestlingnerd

If people are really so worried about seeding, which IMO is much more a concern for the coaches than an issue for most of the wrestlers, why not do some more catch weight matches a la Stieber/Maple a few years back?

Would people not be interested in a Hidlay/Marstellar matchup? Or like Eierman/Kolodzik? Plenty of other potential matchups out there.  

1 hour ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

If people are really so worried about seeding, which IMO is much more a concern for the coaches than an issue for most of the wrestlers, why not do some more catch weight matches a la Stieber/Maple a few years back?

Would people not be interested in a Hidlay/Marstellar matchup? Or like Eierman/Kolodzik? Plenty of other potential matchups out there.  

That is a fantastic idea.  Less is risked and it's honestly way more entertaining that matches we have already seen or will see.

2 hours ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Taylor never entered the NCAA tournament as an undefeated defending NCAA Champ.

His Junior year he lost to Dake in the Scuffle finals.

Pretty sure

If it didn’t count how can an undefeated defending champ not only start season ranked second

referred to a wrestler who was an undefeated defending champ *before* the season started (hence the reference to "start season"), not undefeated when the NCAAs
rolled around.

15 minutes ago, klehner said:

Pretty sure

referred to a wrestler who was an undefeated defending champ *before* the season started (hence the reference to "start season"), not undefeated when the NCAAs
rolled around.

Ok well again your arguement and reference to The above still makes little sense. Taylor was ranked 2nd at the start of his junior year behind Dake another returning undefeated NCAA Champion who at that point had a head to head win over him (albeit in freestyle but a win is a win). It made a perfect sense to rank Dake a 3x champ over Taylor a 1x champ at that time.

Second of all Hall was never an "undefeated defending champ before the season started." He had a number of losses during his freshman season. Hall was ranked 2nd behind Zahid a wrestler who he defeated at NCAAs the prior season.

At those respective moments in time (prior to the season starting), it made sense to rank Dake a ahead of Taylor. Objectively speaking Hall being ranked 2 was questionable. With that said, was Hall infact ranked 2nd before the all Star classic? I seem to remember him being ranked 1st and Zahid ranked 2nd before the classic...

Edited by BigTenFanboy

59 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Zahid vs Nickal would be a fun one

At this point they're a little far away in weight... the first thought I had was a Martin/Valencia matchup.  

While I don't think it's possible since Martin is focusing on freestyle until U23's, even if it were there's no way Martin takes that match. Would be an exciting one though. 

30 minutes ago, BigTenFanboy said:

Ok well again your arguement and reference to The above still makes little sense. Taylor was ranked 2nd at the start of his junior year behind Dake another returning undefeated NCAA Champion who at that point had a head to head win over him (albeit in freestyle but a win is a win). It made a perfect sense to rank Dake a 3x champ over Taylor a 1x champ at that time.

Second of all Hall was never an "undefeated defending champ before the season started." He had a number of losses during his freshman season. Hall was ranked 2nd behind Zahid a wrestler who he defeated at NCAAs the prior season.

At those respective moments in time (prior to the season starting), it made sense to rank Dake a ahead of Taylor. Objectively speaking Hall being ranked 2 was questionable. With that said, was Hall infact ranked 2nd before the all Star classic? I seem to remember him being ranked 1st and Zahid ranked 2nd before the classic...

Jeez, lighten up.  It was supposed to be a joke.  Taylor *was* an undefeated defending champ...and he started the season as the #2 ranked 165 wrestler.  Someone asked how that is possible.

27 minutes ago, steamboat_charlie v2 said:

At this point they're a little far away in weight... the first thought I had was a Martin/Valencia matchup.  

While I don't think it's possible since Martin is focusing on freestyle until U23's, even if it were there's no way Martin takes that match. Would be an exciting one though. 

Not if Zahid goes 184. That's the matchup I would love to see the most and it would have no effect on seeding so pish couldn't complain.

Any idea what Nickal is weighing these days?

22 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Not if Zahid goes 184. That's the matchup I would love to see the most and it would have no effect on seeding so pish couldn't complain.

Agree, if Zahid is 184 a matchup with Nickal is IMO the most exciting possible fantasy matchup out there.  

2 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

He is bigger. Guessing rumors of 197 are accurate.

58 minutes ago, Gantry said:

Whoa, that's a weird one.  Link:

http://www.nwcaonline.com/gross-wilson-2-0-take-place-nwca-star-classic/

Does this mean or or both are going 141 this year?  Or they both just don't want to cut?

Tariq is a big 133, but reports as of a few weeks ago was he was planning to go 33 and their enormous 125, Faust, was staying there. Coach pop confirmed that in an interview. Things could’ve changed though. 

Given that it is pre season, I assume they just aren’t down low enough yet and will go 133. 

I do do really want to see Yianni be gross in the ncaa finals. That would be crazy. 

18 hours ago, Gantry said:

Whoa, that's a weird one.  Link:

http://www.nwcaonline.com/gross-wilson-2-0-take-place-nwca-star-classic/

Does this mean or or both are going 141 this year?  Or they both just don't want to cut?

Just listened to the most recent podcast with coach Pop

he said the match is at 133 essentially, but they will have a few pound allowance (he thought it was 135.5 but wasn’t sure). Gross has a dual the week after and he plans to be down by then according to Coach Pop.