rcoates1

NWCA All Star Classic

On 10/15/2018 at 8:44 AM, StallWarning said:

Whether he was beating him last year isn't the point.  Nobody would know that until March.  The all-star match was obviously used in deciding seeding when they specifically say it's not considered.  The reality is that the seeding is done by humans and those things influence humans.  If any wrestler thinks they can go to this and that it won't hurt them in March they are wrong.  Last year it ultimately did not matter because Hall and Valencia both made the finals, but it could definitely affect nationals.  

How do "we" know it was used? Even if the match was never wrestled, Zahid still would have been the 1 seed. Had a better year.

Some of you guys kill me. Your "it obviously affected Halls seeding because who should be #1, Zahid or an undefeated defending national champ" is making use of the same thing your bitching about. LAST SEASON DOESN'T MATTER EITHER. Hell, if they had not wrestled the match and Hall got the #1 seed, Zahid would have a complaint. ZAHID SHOULD HAVE BEEN, AND WAS, #1 SEED LAST YEAR! He had a better year. 

I love wrestling but the lineup presented to date is making me yawn.

I would not travel cross town to watch this event, much less to Colorado.

If this is an exhibition, lets try to get some #1 vs. #1 action.

Can someone explain why this is in Colorado? I hope am I wrong but the bleachers might be dominating the attendance.

Edited by Greatdane67
spelling error

On ‎10‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 11:18 PM, gobraves101905 said:

So Hall lost in the NCAA finals because he was seeded 2nd? If only he was the #1 seed he wouldn't have been taken down 3 times.

I don't think there was a difference between 1 and 2 at 174 last year but at times there can be a big advantage to being seeded 1 vs. 2. If there is a weight with 3 guys that have distanced themselves from the field the semis vs. the 3 could be significantly harder than whoever the 1 gets. 125 last year was kind of an example. Thomasello draws Lee by being #2. Thomasello probably makes the finals vs. either Cruz or Suriano.

Sometimes it doesn't matter at all because the bracket blows up like 149 last year where you have 11 vs. 15 to go to the finals.

Just my thoughts.

Until ALL THE COACHES get on board with supporting the All Star Match you are going to have people ducking, diving and hiding from competition.  This is just like the dual match national championship in that everyone needs to participate or just cancel the events.  You have all the major players talk about trying to promote and grow the sport of wrestling but then some of them fail to support the All Star Match or the Dual National Championships.  Just like a politician they have a tendency to talk out of both sides of their mouth.  

Jacobe Smith at 174 in the All-Star Dual is super interesting in terms of what it means for the OSU lineup.  The OSU board has declared that Joe Smith is currently over 200 lbs and not in a good way.  Half the board has turned on him and declared him fat and even floated the possibility that if he can't make 165 he's done.  Very strange to me.  

23 minutes ago, boconnell said:

Jacobe Smith at 174 in the All-Star Dual is super interesting in terms of what it means for the OSU lineup.  The OSU board has declared that Joe Smith is currently over 200 lbs and not in a good way.  Half the board has turned on him and declared him fat and even floated the possibility that if he can't make 165 he's done.  Very strange to me.  

Maybe he's their new 197?

Pancake!  Pancake!

Edited by treep2000

3 hours ago, boconnell said:

200 lbs for Joe Smith? I thought they had him penciled in at 165 this year?

I am shocked to hear Smith is over 200 lbs just a week shy of November. If true or even close... wow. He is neither tall nor jacked.... I can't imagine that much weight on him without a substantial beer gut no singlet can hide. Did he spend his entire redshirt year at Eskimo Joe's? 

They are waiting to see if Adam Coon wins Greco Worlds.  In which case, he will be the feature match against a 300 pound bear.  Having vanquished all humans, he will need to seek better opponents in the inter-species category:

I live here in the Denver metro, and it's "crickets" (and I'm looking).  It's super sad.  Wrestling in the metro here is starting to really pick up.  Lots of solid individuals coming out of growing programs.  I sure hope more info comes out soon.  My 7 year old really wants to see what a "real" wrestling match looks like (aside from what we watch of TV/Flo.)

12 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I live here in the Denver metro, and it's "crickets" (and I'm looking).  It's super sad.  Wrestling in the metro here is starting to really pick up.  Lots of solid individuals coming out of growing programs.  I sure hope more info comes out soon.  My 7 year old really wants to see what a "real" wrestling match looks like (aside from what we watch of TV/Flo.)

Same here.  At my son’s club practice last couple of weeks (in Parker) there has been no mention at all from the coaches - who are all D1 wrestlers and AA’s.  I’m the only one who is bringing up.

5 hours ago, treep2000 said:

I wonder why. They normally do a much better job at promoting it. 

Im from Atlanta and it came here a few years ago. Some of the local teams well and they had a fairly good turnout. Georgia isn’t a huge wrestling state (although we are getting better quickly. Most ranked guys ever right now). 

On 10/26/2018 at 8:36 PM, wrestlingnerd said:

I am shocked to hear Smith is over 200 lbs just a week shy of November. If true or even close... wow. He is neither tall nor jacked.... I can't imagine that much weight on him without a substantial beer gut no singlet can hide. Did he spend his entire redshirt year at Eskimo Joe's? 

It's interesting. Neither Smith nor Rogers have certified yet.  Jacobe certified at under 184.  And get this.... Wittlake certified while weighing less than 174, which means OSU has found their emergency 165 in case Fat Joe or Fat Chandler can't get there  

2 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

Speaking of OSU. I went to their roster page on Track to check on these certs.  I noticed Geo Martinez is not on the roster.  Did he transfer?

He is listed on the updated roster on OSU’s website. I assume he is still there. 

So the NWCA just released their "final" lineup and it appears there are only going to be 6 men's matches? 

I'm flying in from Michigan and taking PTO for this, and honestly I wasn't the least bit bothered that we weren't getting any #1 vs #2's or anything like that. I love the sport, I've never been able to go to an NCAA's, so just seeing 10 really quality college wrestling matches was enough for me.

...but to just not fill out the card? That's absolutely embarrassing. Like, how were customers even supposed to know that was an option? Is there any precedent for that whatsoever? The women's numbers are down too, it looks like just half the amount of matches they had a year ago.

I realize how cheap and whiny the wrestling community can be at times and I really try to not to be one of those guys, but this level of administrative incompetence coupled with a total lack of transparency is brutal for the sport.

Classic "prisoner's dilemma" - coaches/wrestlers making the better choice for themselves individually, but the worse choice for the sport collectively.

If they think skipping this event will help them win a national title, then I can't blame the wrestlers and coaches for skipping. It just sucks for college wrestling and removes one more marquee event from an already-dying sport.

Classic "prisoner's dilemma" - coaches/wrestlers making the better choice for themselves individually, but the worse choice for the sport collectively.
If they think skipping this event will help them win a national title, then I can't blame the wrestlers and coaches for skipping. It just sucks for college wrestling and removes one more marquee event from an already-dying sport.
Wrestling is on life support. It's too bad the best team won't participate. Grow the sport? Yeah OK.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk