Sign in to follow this  
tigerfan

Favorite team moments/performances

Bo Turning a dangerous situation into a pin clinching not only his 2nd title but locking up team title. Will go down as biggest win in an NCAA finals as I can’t think of any others that had those implications.

Cenzo pin of IMAR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longtime Buckeye Fan.  The 2015 National Title and recent postseason success have been great. Johnny Thompson's rundown of the 2004 postseason was right on point.  Some great memories from dual meets over the years :

-Tommy pins Leonce Crump in overtime to beat Oklahoma and send the Bucks to the finals of 2002 National duals.  Decision and Oklahoma wins.  Crump stops wrestling when Tommy gets the takedown in OT and Tommy takes him right to his back for the fall.  Subsequent celebration results in Russ Hellickson tearing his ACL.

-2012 OSU lays a 21-9 beatdown on Iowa at St. Johns after not beating them in a dual for since the revolutionary war.  Everything goes right for the Bucks including Hunter Stieber over Marion, Demas beating St. John and Derek Garcia over Mike Evans.  After Stieber beat Ramos he did sprints up the incline at St. Johns for the rest of the dual.

-Jaggers pins Strayer from Penn State with a defensive fall (arches back and catches his head when Strayer had legs in) to win the dual.  Again the Bucks needed a fall to win the dual and J delivered.  

-TJ Enright upsets number one ranked Nick Simmons at 133 in OSU vs. MSU dual.  St. Johns went crazy for the hometown kid.

On 10/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, wrestlingphish said:

A lot of you are really bad at reading instructions.

Amen. This all over the place.

At any rate, my favorite team moment/performance which has nothing to do with my team was Bubba machine-gunning his ankle bands.

Nato getting taken down 3x in 1st and winning by major. Pletcher with the 1 point win. Ke-Shawn giving up the tech.Te-Shan giving up bonus.Bo loses.Martin gives up bonus in closing seconds.#1 Moore loses to back-up. #1 Snyder brings hell with him and wins by 5.

Nato getting taken down 3x in 1st and winning by major. Pletcher with the 1 point win. Ke-Shawn giving up the tech.Te-Shan giving up bonus.Bo loses.Martin gives up bonus in closing seconds.#1 Moore loses to back-up. #1 Snyder brings hell with him and wins by 5.

Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dustin Monotti's performance at the 2006 NCAA tournament is another great memory of mine. 

After finishes of 8th-4th-6th, it looked like Monotti might make a run at his first finals appearance.  Unfortunately for him, he ran into Oregon State's Tony Hook who came to wrestle that day.  Hook defeated him 13-5 major decision.  

I hated the idea of Monotti's career, which had been full of so many highlights ending this way.  I was worried that the three time All American, might be beaten out in his final performance.  

As time would reveal, I had nothing to worry about. 

Monotti came back through the consolations as a man on a mission.  He knocked off West Virginia All American Matt Lebe and in a match in which I chewed off all of my finger nails in watching, knocked off two time All American Alex Tirapelle of Illinois in the round to place. 

He then controlled Wisconsin's Craig Henning, Iowa's Joe Johnston and Iowa State's Trent Paulson to earn a third place medal. 

It was cool for a lot of reasons.   Monotti said in an interview during the midseason that his goal was to walk out of the NCAA's with a win.  That all of his other performances had ended on a loss and he wanted his final match to be a win. It was really cool, because his last seven matches were wins. 

And the coolest thing of all was when it was announced over the loud speaker by A.A. what he had accomplished.  Long time rival Jon Masa, who Monotti had a series of classic matches with over the years ran up to him and shook his hand and slapped him on the back.   

That was a good moment, indeed. It's hard to knock a guy for winning within the rule set of his time since we'll never know how he would've adjusted were the current rules in play. I'm sure a lot of close matches from the past would be reffed differently today.

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

That was a good moment, indeed. It's hard to knock a guy for winning within the rule set of his time since we'll never know how he would've adjusted were the current rules in play. I'm sure a lot of close matches from the past would be reffed differently today.

Stieber/Oliver?

22 hours ago, TheOhioState said:

Keaton Anderson over defending national champion Luke Becker 10-3 in the 2002 Ohio State vs. Minnesota dual in St. John Arena in Columbus, Ohio. 

Loudest I ever heard it in St. John.

Not to be nitpicky, but I think it was a bigger margin than that.  Like 11-3 or 12-4 and the only reason I say that is because I can distinctly remember Tim Johnson say, "MAJORED the returning national champion" the next time Anderson wrestled. 

Anderson's performance all season was one of my favorites.  Remember he finally said the Hell with sucking down to 149 lbs, and regardless of what happened he was going to go 157 that year. Just goes to show that dropping weight isn't always the answer. 

19 hours ago, JohnnyThompsonnum1 said:

Not to be nitpicky, but I think it was a bigger margin than that.  Like 11-3 or 12-4 and the only reason I say that is because I can distinctly remember Tim Johnson say, "MAJORED the returning national champion" the next time Anderson wrestled. 

Anderson's performance all season was one of my favorites.  Remember he finally said the Hell with sucking down to 149 lbs, and regardless of what happened he was going to go 157 that year. Just goes to show that dropping weight isn't always the answer. 

Sorry JT#1, it was 10-3.  

http://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/three-buckeyes-claim-all-american-honors-at-2003-ncaa-wrestling-championships-4/

At 157, No. 2-seed Keaton Anderson, who entered the tournament nursing a knee injury, faced top-seed Luke Becker of Minnesota (in the consis). The two split a pair of matches earlier this season as Becker topped Anderson in the final of the Las Vegas Invitational, while Anderson settled the score with a 10-3 decision in the dual bout.

Also...

https://www.michigandaily.com/content/m-wrestlers-clutch-upset-over-buckeyes

I agree about moving up to 157.  I would add that Keaton got permission from Russ H. to train with Mike Davies at his Fitness Factory.   I know he felt that training over there made him stronger and better equipped to make a run for the national title.

That knee injury at Big Tens ruined things for him.  A real good guy who deserved to win it all.

Edited by TheOhioState

Looking at was has been posted I still could not have been more impressed with 5 straight finalist that were all crowned NCAA Champions in the same night...Mr. Wright with his victory @ 197 comes to mind as well...

P.S. The PSU "Train"!!!

That one brief moment in last year's finals when Myles Martin was taking Bo Nickal down, straight to his back, on the precipice of redemption for his previous losses to Nickal, winning his second national title, and securing the team title for tOSU - right before Nickal started snaking his arm in...

Edited by Fletcher