Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

World Championships - 2018, Top Contenders and Underdogs

Hi All,

I am a new member of this forum and this is my first post. I am big fan of wrestling specially freestyle and have been following it internationally for about 5 years now.  I thought i will put my opinion on the top contenders and a underdog in each weight category for this years world championships.  By the way I am originated from India, now living in US

Your thoughts and views are welcome!

57kg

Top Contenders: Yuki Takahashi, Gilman

Under Dog: Erden Bekhbayar (MGL)

61kg

Top Contenders: Gadzhimurad RASHIDOV, Guy from Azerbaijan (Gvarzatilov ??)

Under Dog: Kazuya KOYANAGI (JPN)

65kg

Top Contenders: Alejandro Enrique VALDES TOBIER, Haji Aliyev

Under Dog: Bajrang (IND)

Note: Removed Bekbulatov as he is not participating. Included Haji Aliyev in place of Bekbulatov.

70kg

Top Contenders: Gazimagomedov, Zurabi IAKOBISHVILI

Under Dog: Ikhtiyor NAVRUZOV (UJB)

74kg

Top Contenders:  Frank Chamizo, JB

Under Dog: Muslim Evloev (KYZ)

79kg

Top Contenders: Gadzhi, Kyle Dake

Under Dog: Hasanov (AZE)

86kg

Top Contenders: Magic Man, Yazz

Under Dog: Shamil KUDIIAMAGOMEDOV (ITA)

92kg

Top Contenders: Sharif Sharifov, Taskulov

Under Dog: J’Den Cox

Note: Updated Taskulov as the Top Contender in place of Anzor Urishev

97kg

Top Contenders: Sadulaev, SnyderMan

Under Dog: Alborov

125kg

Top Contenders:  Taha Akgul, Geno Petriashivilli

Under Dog: Khizriev

Note: Russia’s rep at 125kg is Khizriev 

Edited by freestyle_fan
Some wrestlers are not participating, removed their names and updated new names where relevant

29 minutes ago, 2td3nf said:

Nice picks.

I hope your top contender picks at 74, 79, 86, 97 and 125 are on opposite sides to set up some spectacular finals. (Again, no guarantee they all make it to finals.) 

You are right, it all depends on the draw specially when both (or at least one of them) contenders are unseeed.  Just so that its clear - when i chose the top contenders, i did not real mean they will come to finals, but just that one of them will win gold!

Russia is sending different guys in a few of those weight classes. 

65 is Chakaev, 92 is Tsakulov, 125 is Khizriev. Chakev is Tsakulov are contenders. Tsakulov may be a slight favorite even. Khizriev will need a very favorable draw or a few upsets to medal imo.

pretty solid crack at the weights though. Appreciate your contribution and welcome to the board!

56 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Russia is sending different guys in a few of those weight classes. 

65 is Chakaev, 92 is Tsakulov, 125 is Khizriev. Chakev is Tsakulov are contenders. Tsakulov may be a slight favorite even. Khizriev will need a very favorable draw or a few upsets to medal imo.

pretty solid crack at the weights though. Appreciate your contribution and welcome to the board!

Thanks :-) Yeah, you are right. My bad, I did not realize that both Tsakulov and Khizriev are both russian national champs. Tsakulov is definetely a contender. 

I knew Bekbulatov had some health issues because of which he did not step on mat in Poland Open, but was there a officially confirmation on Chakaev's participation in world championships instead of Bekbulatov?? If it is Chakaev, he will give a tough fight, but gold is not guranteed in my opinion.

5 hours ago, freestyle_fan said:

Thanks :-) Yeah, you are right. My bad, I did not realize that both Tsakulov and Khizriev are both russian national champs. Tsakulov is definetely a contender. 

I knew Bekbulatov had some health issues because of which he did not step on mat in Poland Open, but was there a officially confirmation on Chakaev's participation in world championships instead of Bekbulatov?? If it is Chakaev, he will give a tough fight, but gold is not guranteed in my opinion.

Chakaev will not win gold. 

Both Aliev and Khinchegashvili will beat him if they wrestle. Vlad finds a way to win when it counts. He takes losses (like snyder) in the off season, but like he shows in 2016 vs an absolutely crazy field, he knows how to win

Aliev looked unbeatable last year. He was sick for a bit this year, like when he lost to Stieber, but I don’t think anyone expects that to happen at worlds  (I’d be excited though...)

Gadzhiev and Tobier May beat him too. 

Stieber has a win win over him from 2016 worlds. 

I think he gets a bronze with the right draw. 

When it comes to ‘who will not win gold’ - my gut feel is Uguev (57kg), Chakaev (65kg), Sidakov (74kg) from Russia will not win gold. 

In 65kg - if Bekbulatov is not there, I think it will be quite an open field for gold among Aliev, Tobier, Kinche and Bajrang. I am rooting for Bajrang (you can guess why) this time for gold! It’s long time India win gold in world championships, if I remember correctly Sushil Kumar was the last one from India to win gold back in 2011. 

12 hours ago, freestyle_fan said:

When it comes to ‘who will not win gold’ - my gut feel is Uguev (57kg), Chakaev (65kg), Sidakov (74kg) from Russia will not win gold. 

In 65kg - if Bekbulatov is not there, I think it will be quite an open field for gold among Aliev, Tobier, Kinche and Bajrang. I am rooting for Bajrang (you can guess why) this time for gold! It’s long time India win gold in world championships, if I remember correctly Sushil Kumar was the last one from India to win gold back in 2011. 

I’m picking Aliev, but agreed. I’m rooting for Bajrang too (well Stieber, but besides him)

On 10/5/2018 at 3:32 AM, freestyle_fan said:

Hi All,

I am a new member of this forum and this is my first post. I am big fan of wrestling specially freestyle and have been following it internationally for about 5 years now.  I thought i will put my opinion on the top contenders and a underdog in each weight category for this years world championships.  By the way I am originated from India, now living in US

Your thoughts and views are welcome!

57kg

Top Contenders: Yuki Takahashi, Gilman

Under Dog: Erden Bekhbayar (MGL)

61kg

Top Contenders: Gadzhimurad RASHIDOV, Guy from Azerbaijan (Gvarzatilov ??)

Under Dog: Kazuya KOYANAGI (JPN)

65kg

Top Contenders: Bekbulatov, Alejandro Enrique VALDES TOBIER

Under Dog: Bajrang (IND)

70kg

Top Contenders: Gazimagomedov, Zurabi IAKOBISHVILI

Under Dog: Ikhtiyor NAVRUZOV (UJB)

74kg

Top Contenders:  Frank Chamizo, JB

Under Dog: Muslim Evloev (KYZ)

79kg

Top Contenders: Gadzhi, Kyle Dake

Under Dog: Hasanov (AZE)

86kg

Top Contenders: Magic Man, Yazz

Under Dog: Shamil KUDIIAMAGOMEDOV (ITA)

92kg

Top Contenders: Sharif Sharifov, Anzor Urishev

Under Dog: J’Den Cox

97kg

Top Contenders: Sadulaev, SnyderMan

Under Dog: Alborov

125kg

Top Contenders:  Taha Akgul, Geno Petriashivilli

Under Dog: Muradin Kushkhov

bro, please study more wrestling, get more information and then we'll talk. Half of the wrestlers you wrote will not compete in the World Cup. All is well and yes, welcome to our family themat board!

65kg should be up for grabs again. Lots of gold medal contenders.

Bajrang is one of them. He looks very strong and has great gas tank. He can wrestle the full 6 minutes and he does here as he defeats Iran for the Asian bronze:  

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/asian-championships-4?tab=match/311/seniors-fs-65-bajrangb-ind-emamichoghaeiy-iri/731c8d79-1b9b-11e8-8ff4-080027548b1b

2 hours ago, 2td3nf said:

65kg should be up for grabs again. Lots of gold medal contenders.

Bajrang is one of them. He looks very strong and has great gas tank. He can wrestle the full 6 minutes and he does here as he defeats Iran for the Asian bronze:  

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/event/asian-championships-4?tab=match/311/seniors-fs-65-bajrangb-ind-emamichoghaeiy-iri/731c8d79-1b9b-11e8-8ff4-080027548b1b

Why is everyone underestimating Aliev and Vlad? One of them will win

11 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Why is everyone underestimating Aliev and Vlad? One of them will win

This... if they wrestle each other, I also will predict, with 100% certainty, that one of them will win.  I've never felt so confident in a pick in my life... 

On 10/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

bro, please study more wrestling, get more information and then we'll talk. Half of the wrestlers you wrote will not compete in the World Cup. All is well and yes, welcome to our family themat board!

World Cup?

Housebuye, a couple more things regarding the 65kg class. I brought up Bajrang in this conversation mainly due to our new poster - freestyle fan. As I said, Bajrang took bronze at the Asian Championships back in February, but he won gold at the Asian Games this past August where he pretty much crushed the 65 bracket and beat Takatani in the finals. And like I said above, Bajrang looks huge at 65 and seems to have a great gas tank. He is dangerous.

My main point is that 65kg, as usual, should be wide open for the taking. This is always one of my favorite weight classes (heck, who am I kidding, I'm very interested in all the weight classes!). 

Anyway I agree with you that Aliev and Khinch are always tough to beat on the big stage and they're probably favored ahead of Bajrang. But in this bracket there are so many tough wrestlers that can contend for medals.

Lastly, hope Logan gets hot and ends USA's medal drought at 65/66kg. 

On 10/6/2018 at 12:12 PM, Abdullahgadzhi Khuzin said:

bro, please study more reading.  He's talking about the world championships, not the world cup.     ;-)