Sign in to follow this  
freestyle_fan

World Championships - 2018, Top Contenders and Underdogs

86kg poll results from Dagestan...

cf134531a6af8ce426449c61bb28bf24.jpg

Expert opinion

Coach Emzari Bedineyshvili:

- Dauren Kurugliev is a strong wrestler, but I think that Hassan Yazdani and David Taylor will still qualify for the final. The trump card of the Iranian is his crazy "functional", and no one can compare with him in this component. The American is higher than him in class, but can he resist under the constant pressure of a competitor? I regard their chances of winning as fifti-fifti. Much will depend on the psychological mood with which they will approach the duel with each other, and I repeat that they will meet in the final, I repeat. My student Sandro Aminashvili will fight in this weight in Budapest. In the process of preparing for the championship, he was bothered by a leg injury, and I am afraid that this may affect his performance. And so, in terms of its potential, it may well enter the top three

While we all sharing our thoughts on contenders, challengers and underdog for this world championships, UWW also released thier view on the contenders, challengers and underdog. I am attaching the pdf file here,  starting page-7 they have given analysis for each category...check it out !

https://unitedworldwrestling.org/sites/default/files/2018-10/2018_budapest_world_championships_preview_.pdf

Original article from UWW - https://unitedworldwrestling.org/article/wrestling-releases-fan-and-press-guide-announces-documentary-series-wrestling-360

Few important things i noticed

* YBR (Bonnie Rodriguez - CUB) seems to have confirmed participation in 61kg.  He will be a contender for Gold. If he and Rashidov are on opposite sides, i expect him to reach finals and i think he has a good chance to defeat Rashidov.

* In 65kg - they did mention about magomedmurad GADZHIEV (POL).  Not sure if he is really at 65kg, is he is - he will be a contender for Gold.

* 125kg - mention of  Oleksandr KHOTSIANIVSKYI (UKR) defeating Geno in the finals of Ukranian Memorial, i missed this one. If anyone interested to watch the match here you go..

I don't know, Bonnie has AMAZING stuff and can wow you in any one match but imo he's not consistent enough to be a world title contender.  Loses matches he shouldn't, a bit too wild for his own good.  And I can't remember his exact age, but the dude is up there for a lightweight wrestler...