Sign in to follow this  
treep2000

2018 Who's #1

Posting on the college thread... because all these guys are future collegiate stars, or have already beaten some college level guys.  Here's my take:

138 Match 1:  Aragona looks good.  Tagg looks good as well.  A well wrestled match.

138 Match 2:  Keegan looks like a monster, while Abas looked like a "fish".  If all he has is that "leg dive", his NCAA Stock just took a major hit.  I felt like I was watching the reincarnation of Dean Heil.

120:  McHenry is tough, but incredibly small still.  Michigan needs to get him on an immediate "bulk up" program.  Barnett did enough to win.

152:  Alirez is a fun kid to watch.  Luchau was noticeably bigger.  Fun match, well wrestled.  Watch out for Alirez on the next level, for sure. 

160:  Facundo!  Wow is he a fun wrestler to watch.  He really turned it on in the 3rd.  His "pressure" was very "David Taylor"-esque.  At one point, I thought I was watching DT.

106:  That match was... well... not fun to watch.  No one did much of anything.  Congrats to both... eat your Wheaties, and good luck at the higher weights.  Decatur looked like a defensive maestro.  RF stalled stalled stalled.  Whatever... NEXT.

182:  Winston wins.  Assad wrestled a sloppy match and deserved the loss.  When they meet again, I think Assad reverses the decision.  

113:  Yianni's little brother is going to be tough!  He has some slickness that I didn't expect.  Burks is a fighter, and will do well at the next level as well.  Fun match.  Now... eat your Wheaties.

170:  Freestyle! Kharchla!  Wow!  Super impressed by this kid.  A relative unknown until about a year ago, and then WHAM.  Pssstt… Tom Ryan... he's your #1 target recruit... 

132:  You could visibly tell that this was a "high level" match.  Saunders and Decatur.  Decatur pulls out the win.  He looks "electric" on his feet.  He's definitely a great fit for tOSU, given that he has bottom troubles.

138 Match 3:  Aragona over O'Toole.  Really well wrestled match by both guys.  Both showed "poise", solid defense, solid offensive attacks, but Aragona had the 1.5 finishes to make it happen.  

Overall, a fun event to watch in the middle of nothing else on TV except Pro Football and Marvel series on Netflix.

Edited by treep2000

4 hours ago, treep2000 said:

138 Match 2:  Keegan looks like a monster, while Abas looked like a "fish".  If all he has is that "leg dive", his NCAA Stock just took a major hit.  I felt like I was watching the reincarnation of Dean Heil. 

Doesn't Abas have a good freestyle resume as well?  I chalk this up more to a terrible style matchup for Abas, Keegan does the funk better

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Kharchla is very good on the feet. He is going to be solid in college

Indeed, but I selfishly hope he decides to stick with freestyle and forgoes folk. 

Let's not forget the women's match too, Kitty had a little too much but Blades is really impressive given her age.  So she's going into her freshman or sophomore year?  If freshman that's even more amazing...

12 hours ago, Gantry said:

That McHenry match was really weird, never seen him so passive before.  Usually he's constantly attacking...

And yeah he's small, no doubt he could still wrestle at 113 if he wanted. 

Could be a size thing. It is hard wrestling guys who weigh 10% more than you

16 hours ago, pish6969 said:

Facundo was the best kid I saw. Anyone know where he’s leaning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has so much time left that I don't think there is a lean, yet. But, he has solid ties to Michigan and if he leaves the state, I don't think he will, it probably won't be that far(tOSU). 

Also, none of the big name out of state schools have really established any true pipeline to Michigan, excepting Cornell. 

I know the Iowa board wants him badly, but the exposure rate to him is going to be quite low throughout. 

7 minutes ago, buf87 said:

Iowa State and Wisconsin will be in the mix with Metcalf and Reader being from Davison

Obviously its a long ways out but I'd like to see him at Wisc. 

Working with Bono, Reader, Askren, and maybe Seth Gross by that time? *Whew* 

Facundo was definitely impressive, and is at the top of my list to want to watch.  Given this... TBar is going to say that PSU is a "lock", so PSU will be in the hunt for his services.  tOSU would be a solid fit, as by the time he's of collegiate age, I suspect he will have grown some more, packed on some muscle, and be an upperweight.  And... yeah... the upperweight room at tOSU is lights out.  And then there's this "hometown kid" concept.  As a Michiganer, staying with Meechigan is going to be a natural and totally expected move.  So... those three are probably the top three (if I'm a betting man... and I'm not).

2 hours ago, iGranby said:

Obviously its a long ways out but I'd like to see him at Wisc. 

Working with Bono, Reader, Askren, and maybe Seth Gross by that time? *Whew* 

If not Iowa State, then Wisconsin would be a great 2nd choice

2 hours ago, treep2000 said:

Facundo was definitely impressive, and is at the top of my list to want to watch.  Given this... TBar is going to say that PSU is a "lock", so PSU will be in the hunt for his services.  tOSU would be a solid fit, as by the time he's of collegiate age, I suspect he will have grown some more, packed on some muscle, and be an upperweight.  And... yeah... the upperweight room at tOSU is lights out.  And then there's this "hometown kid" concept.  As a Michiganer, staying with Meechigan is going to be a natural and totally expected move.  So... those three are probably the top three (if I'm a betting man... and I'm not).

Not that PSU isn't recruiting him, but I have never seen PSU mentioned with Facundo. Not sure why you would think I would say PSU is a lock.

7 hours ago, TBar1977 said:

Not that PSU isn't recruiting him, but I have never seen PSU mentioned with Facundo. Not sure why you would think I would say PSU is a lock.

Tbar… you know I rarely make a dig at PSU, because I respect Cael, and "the Program".  Instead, it's more about Facundo being on PSU's radar, because ALL the best guys are on PSU's radar (and vice versa).  It's just a "lock" to think that the best guys and the best program would court each other.  Tis all...

Edited by treep2000

18 hours ago, buf87 said:

If not Iowa State, then Wisconsin would be a great 2nd choice

While McHenry would be a great addition to any room, you guys do know that Barnett (the guy that just beat McHenry) has already committed to Wisconsin, right? Might be a glut of talent piling up at the lower weights if McHenry were to be interested.That would be a new problem for Bucky if it were to come to pass. And too, when ticking off the litany of coaches now at WI, don't forget McDonough if you are thinking about the little guys.

50 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I think McHenry would do well at 118... 125 is going to be a meatgrinder for him if he doesn't put on more size.  I know we all thought that about Spencer Lee at some point, but... McHenry is NOT Spencer Lee.

I've thought this about a number of kids over the years and just about every time I've been proven me wrong. The most recent example being Rayvon Foley. With college weight training programs as good as they are nowadays I'm starting to feel like they can build just about anyone into an adequately sized 125 as long as they're willing to put in the time.

2 hours ago, npope said:

While McHenry would be a great addition to any room, you guys do know that Barnett (the guy that just beat McHenry) has already committed to Wisconsin, right? Might be a glut of talent piling up at the lower weights if McHenry were to be interested.That would be a new problem for Bucky if it were to come to pass. And too, when ticking off the litany of coaches now at WI, don't forget McDonough if you are thinking about the little guys.

Npope pretty sure the Wisc/Iowa St comments were about Facundo not McHenry. And McHenry is already a Michigan commit unless something recently changed. 

16 minutes ago, KTG119 said:

Npope pretty sure the Wisc/Iowa St comments were about Facundo not McHenry. And McHenry is already a Michigan commit unless something recently changed. 

Mine was about Facundo.

I think the Metcalf tie to Davison puts Iowa State in the running.  Facundo also wrestled in Agony in Ames a year ago.

I think the Reader tie to Davison puts Wisconsin in the running.

And I think Michigan will be in the running.

Those would be my top 3, then the big boys will be after him also.  (OSU, tOSU, PSU)

McHenry is definitely athletic and knows how to wrestle.  What I don't understand is how his body appears to the naked eye meaning it really does not seem that he has invested much time in the weight room.  JMO but if I were a small kid and getting knocked because of my size I would get in to lifts per day out of season and eat everything possible to gain weight and size.  I had one ultra successful college coach tell me that it's much easier to recruit a strong athletic kid and teach them how to wrestle.

Edited by Bryan

1 hour ago, tilt57 said:

I've thought this about a number of kids over the years and just about every time I've been proven me wrong. The most recent example being Rayvon Foley. With college weight training programs as good as they are nowadays I'm starting to feel like they can build just about anyone into an adequately sized 125 as long as they're willing to put in the time.

well.. I did say "if" he doesn't put on the size.  :-)