Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I’ve seen a few people say Branch before, I like the prospect of Mark Perry as a head coach (if you’re referring to him instead of Chris) But I also wonder if he’s similar to Henson in that he’s better served as an assistant then being a head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Chris seems way more likely than Mark. Assistant to Club to Head would be a really weird progression...not to mention all the Iowa baggage, and that Mark isn't really proven as a coach (neither is chris but he already has his foot in the door so its possible they know a lot more than us).

Edited by hammerlockthree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I think Chris seems way more likely than Mark. Assistant to Club to Head would be a really weird progression...not to mention all the Iowa baggage, and that Mark isn't really proven as a coach (neither is chris but he already has his foot in the door so its possible they know a lot more than us).

Agree, can't see any single possibility where OSU would even consider Mark Perry over Chris, let alone all the incredibly successful OSU alums now coaching elsewhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guerrero was definitely sitting in s solid position for awhile to be the internal candidate choice.  But I’m not sure if the move to Oklahoma’s RTC was to help boost his coach resume for a later college position, or a change of pace for him with no aspirations to be a college head coach.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

Guerrero was definitely sitting in s solid position for awhile to be the internal candidate choice.  But I’m not sure if the move to Oklahoma’s RTC was to help boost his coach resume for a later college position, or a change of pace for him with no aspirations to be a college head coach.   

I don't think he is well liked...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I think if Coach Smith was seriously thinking of retiring, I think he would try and get someone to be his successor. As for who that would be, I'm not sure, but in today's World I think a guy who has had success on the college, and international level, as well as coaching success, I would think that Coleman Scott would have to be the guy with the inside track. Especially if Coleman can build on his two AA's from last year, and continue that success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd go for a name.  Someone with big personal international accomplishments.  I'd hire Snyder or Burroughs over a very good, proven coach.  Or even David Taylor or Dake if they win a gold this summer.  OSU doesn't have anyone recent and successful enough as an individual to fit this bill.  Chris Perry seems like a great coach but no elite recruit is going to college to be 'only' a 2X Champ and international non-factor.  Snyder has all of these young guys convinced they can be multiple world gold medalists (which is great for USA wrestling).  

For a few schools it's all about winning or losing national championships.  Program building is unnecessary.  All that really matters is (1) snagging enough elite recruits to put yourself in the game, and (2) developing those elite recruits enough to win the game.  Right now Cael does both of those things best.  He may not be the best pure coach but he's the best at getting elite recruits to continue being elite.  

There are a dozen guys who can probably do #2 as well as the rest of the dozen.  Some of those dozen can also develop 2nd line guys into AAs, but in the national championship picture, developing low end AAs doesn't count for much, no matter how impressive it is.  You win from studs being studs for 4 years.  So you need a guy who can get the elite recruits and a staff around him that can help them be what they mostly are already.  I think at a place like OSU you'd have no problem putting together a technique and admin staff to support a guy who can recruit.  

So don't hire a very good coach who will be lucky to develop guys as well as John Smith and continue to get 2nd-5th.  Hire a guy who puts kids in the room that might be 1st.  Or hire someone who holds the job and does well until the locals run him out of town for 25 year old Daton Fix in half a dozen years.  

But if you had to hire a guy and wanted a proven coach, I'd say Pop or Coleman Scott in that order.

Edited by boconnell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trevel would be a great hire, and he has all the  boxes checked, but I doubt SnyderMan is going anywhere soon. Anyway, back to Trevel, do you give him the keys to the kingdom immediately, or do you let him run his own program for a while? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, boconnell said:

I'd go for a name.  Someone with big personal international accomplishments.  I'd hire Snyder or Burroughs over a very good, proven coach.  Or even David Taylor or Dake if they win a gold this summer.  OSU doesn't have anyone recent and successful enough as an individual to fit this bill.  Chris Perry seems like a great coach but no elite recruit is going to college to be 'only' a 2X Champ and international non-factor.  Snyder has all of these young guys convinced they can be multiple world gold medalists (which is great for USA wrestling).  

For a few schools it's all about winning or losing national championships.  Program building is unnecessary.  All that really matters is (1) snagging enough elite recruits to put yourself in the game, and (2) developing those elite recruits enough to win the game.  Right now Cael does both of those things best.  He may not be the best pure coach but he's the best at getting elite recruits to continue being elite.  

There are a dozen guys who can probably do #2 as well as the rest of the dozen.  Some of those dozen can also develop 2nd line guys into AAs, but in the national championship picture, developing low end AAs doesn't count for much, no matter how impressive it is.  You win from studs being studs for 4 years.  So you need a guy who can get the elite recruits and a staff around him that can help them be what they mostly are already.  I think at a place like OSU you'd have no problem putting together a technique and admin staff to support a guy who can recruit.  

So don't hire a very good coach who will be lucky to develop guys as well as John Smith and continue to get 2nd-5th.  Hire a guy who puts kids in the room that might be 1st.  Or hire someone who holds the job and does well until the locals run him out of town for 25 year old Daton Fix in half a dozen years.  

But if you had to hire a guy and wanted a proven coach, I'd say Pop or Coleman Scott in that order.

Snyder might still be competing when Smith retires. Also no big school will hire a head coach with no coaching experience. It isn’t like it was in the past. Snyder will be a head coach at a power program if he wants to be, but not before he turns 30. 

Burroughs has no interest in being a head coach 

 

pop op is the best choice I think. He will have been at nc state for over 10 years by then. Hopefully by then he has a protege who is a bit more developed ready to take the reigns, like what we saw at VT and Minnesota 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No brainer. Mark Branch. He's built a solid program from scratch and has deep roots in Oklahoma. I think he'd be a special coach at OSU.

Mark Perry: meh. He has no loyalty whatsoever and jumps from team to team. No way OSU would ever hire him anyway after he chose Iowa over OSU. Plus: I just don't like him.  Chris Perry? Don't know about his coaching ability at all, but was a pretty good wrestler. I don't think he's got the name recognition to prevail over Brands/Sanderson in recruiting.

 

Edited by TobusRex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

All that you said about Perry is true but he did not "choose Iowa over OSU" as much as uncle John chose Henricks over Perry. That is not a valid knock against Perry.

 I think John offered both, technically. Correct me if I'm wrong on that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Oklahomans believe Bigfoot exists too, but that doesn't make it right.

I'm not saying it's right.  I'm saying it's real.  The whole state is insular and distrusts outsiders.  They are treated as 2nd fiddle by everyone outside the state so theirs a chip on the shoulder and anyone from outside Oklahoma doesn't belong.  Spates bleeds crimson and views himself as a Sooner for life.  He stuck around and still lives in the area and would do anything for OU.  But the second he started to lose a little the locals wanted to run the Yankee out of town.  John Smith is a beloved local hero who is probably loved more for being local than for being a hero.  Mike Gundy is the OSU football coach and he's local.  He will coach there as long as he wants.  

It doesn't matter if it's right or smart or fair, Mark Perry went to Iowa so most of the fan base will hate him forever no matter what.  Chris stayed home so most of the fan base will love him forever.  That's the reality you deal in when you are talking about how Oklahomans will react to a coach.  So to me you only make an 'outside' hire if you think the guy can win enough to be forgiven for being from somewhere other than Oklahoma.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not an Okie so I'll believe you, but if any of the USA Wrestling superstars becomes available, I would think it would take a preposterous amount of homerism to go with, say, Chris Perry. Bob Stoops and Barry Switzer are among the best coaches in Oklahoma history (granted, not Okie State), and neither were Okies nor did they go to school in Oklahoma. The bottom line is that the Okies who matter, like anyone else in the world, like to win more than they like their locals.

I also think John Smith's opinion will have a lot of sway, and he is one of the most open-minded Okies I've ever met when it comes to wrestling and coaching.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I'm not an Okie so I'll believe you, but if any of the USA Wrestling superstars becomes available, I would think it would take a preposterous amount of homerism to go with, say, Chris Perry. Bob Stoops and Barry Switzer are among the best coaches in Oklahoma history (granted, not Okie State), and neither were Okies nor did they go to school in Oklahoma. The bottom line is that the Okies who matter, like anyone else in the world, like to win more than they like their locals.

I also think John Smith's opinion will have a lot of sway, and he is one of the most open-minded Okies I've ever met when it comes to wrestling and coaching.

What do the superstars of USA Wrestling have to do with Mark Perry?  You said Mark choosing Iowa shouldn't matter in relation to the OSU job.   That's what we were talking about.  I said Mark choosing Iowa would absolutely matter in a place like Oklahoma.  Then you somehow compared Chris Perry to the stars of USA wrestling (another goal post move that has nothing to do with anything I said).  

I also said that if it were up to me I'd pick Snyder or Burroughs or maybe Taylor or Dake if they win this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way a huge program like OSU hires a guy fresh out of competition in his late 20's or early 30's with no coaching experience, no matter what kind of medals they won in competition.   The focus, drive, intelligence, and hard work it takes to win in competition will eventually transfer, but it doesnt transfer at first.  Accountability for others, administration, attention to NCAA regulations, recruiting, boosters, none of this is hone while competing.  A power house program like OSU wouldnt just take a huge risk like that.  It would be comparable to Alabama hiring Cam Newton or Mark Ingram to run the entire show. 

 

IMO the absolute best they can do is Branch or Guererro.  Both have proven they can do everything a head coach needs to do to run a successful powerhouse program.  These guys arent RTC athletes that help out individuals during the season and have their entire schedule full with training.  These are guys who have put years into coaching and understand every aspect of what it takes to be an NCAA coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×