Sign in to follow this  
teach

Seeding all 33

Just now, mattchristensen112 said:

My question is since they are trying to pair #29-33 with the top 4 seeds, do the top 4 seeds have a higher chance of a pig-tail match? Because if so, that is not cool.

I think they said they had a solution for this when they came out of the coaches meeting a few months ago, but I don’t remember what it was

This is a great idea!

it will ruin early round huge upsets though. While unseeded guys every year get some wins in the first round, it is almost never the guys in the 29-33 range. It’s usually the Kennedy Monday type guys, who would’ve been seeded 20th or so. 

Im sure they will happen, but very occasionally. 

There will of course there are plenty of upsets, but the chances of guys from 25-33 of winning their first match is extremely unlikely. 

1 hour ago, mattchristensen112 said:

My question is since they are trying to pair #29-33 with the top 4 seeds, do the top 4 seeds have a higher chance of a pig-tail match? Because if so, that is not cool.

The top four seeds have the same chance as they used to of a pigtail match, namely zero percent. However, whomever wins the pigtail will wrestle a top-four seed.

11 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

The top four seeds have the same chance as they used to of a pigtail match, namely zero percent. However, whomever wins the pigtail will wrestle a top-four seed.

This is the most fair decision. Makes sense. 

Not only does it give the top seeds the easier early round matches that they deserve, it still gives the low seeds the ability to prove themselves 

13 minutes ago, hammerlockthree said:

I'd like it better if they seeded the top 4....and thats it. 

hmmmm....... interesting thought. That would certainly lead to more early round upsets, with top seeds possibly getting a pretty good hammer out of the blocks.

30 minutes ago, Flying-Tiger said:

Just wish they got rid of the pigtail matches while they were at it. There is no need for a 33rd wrestler in each bracket. 

Agree with this. It introduces a random advantage/disadvantage to close team races that I always hated, not to speak of adding an extra match to an already brutal path for the small minority of wrestlers in them. 

2 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Agree with this. It introduces a random advantage/disadvantage to close team races that I always hated, not to speak of adding an extra match to an already brutal path for the small minority of wrestlers in them. 

The only team points awarded are for bonus points, right?

1 minute ago, Housebuye said:

I’m not sure. But when a top-ranked wrestler from a contending team draws a pigtail match, it’s much more an advantage to his team than a disadvantage to him, in my opinion. Don’t like it. I’m the ideal system, all teams should have the same opportunity to score points for their qualifying athletes. 

1 hour ago, Housebuye said:

57 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I’m not sure. But when a top-ranked wrestler from a contending team draws a pigtail match, it’s much more an advantage to his team than a disadvantage to him, in my opinion. Don’t like it. I’m the ideal system, all teams should have the same opportunity to score points for their qualifying athletes. 

A few years ago when they got rid of the bye points for first round wins, the NCAA made the baffling decision to continue to award advancement + bonus to the pigtail winners which means drawing into that extra round does give those wrestlers a greater point scoring potential even ignoring the additional bonus point opportunity. It was only unseeded wrestlers that could get those draws (since the start of the 16-seed era at least) so it hasn't been as magnified, but the potential for a team race to be decided by this random chance does exist, though it is small. Now, only those seeded 29-33 will have the potential to draw in, limiting the advantage further. Regardless, it doesn't make sense.

My article on the subject that first appeared nearly 2 years ago: https://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/ncaa-waived-rules-set-stage-controversy/61463

Edited by AlexSteenTOM

58 minutes ago, AlexSteenTOM said:

A few years ago when they got rid of the bye points for first round wins, the NCAA made the baffling decision to continue to award advancement + bonus to the pigtail winners which means drawing into that extra round does give those wrestlers a greater point scoring potential even ignoring the additional bonus point opportunity. It was only unseeded wrestlers that could get those draws (since the start of the 16-seed era at least) so it hasn't been as magnified, but the potential for a team race to be decided by this random chance does exist, though it is small. Now, only those seeded 29-33 will have the potential to draw in, limiting the advantage further. Regardless, it doesn't make sense.

My article on the subject that first appeared nearly 2 years ago: https://news.theopenmat.com/college-wrestling-news/ncaa-waived-rules-set-stage-controversy/61463

That’s so dumb. What were they thinking?

45 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It would make it way less interesting. Finals would be far less compelling. 

Think of how much funner the rest of the tournament would be.

There's a tournament in Oklahoma every year at Geary, a small town. A year or two in a row the boys from Blair Academy competed there (it's a pretty cool tournament). There's no seeding there. There have been matches where state champs from different classes met in the first round, 2nd round, etc. I think it makes it far more interesting. Plus, the idea of seeding offends me. If guys are so good why do they deserve an easier route to the finals?

Edited by TobusRex
grammar

It's more for spectators than to give the athletes a break. The chaos of no seeds would be interesting indeed, but that's effectively what we had at some worlds and it wasn't as interesting as a properly seeded tournament. Saving the best for last is a time-tested approach to generate the most excitement out of an event. Why you need to seed everyone to achieve that is beyond me though.